Beyond the BX?

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Beyond the BX?

Post by toddao »

I really do love my ole yellow BX Break - in daily use for family and building materials. But our third child is coming soon and it unfortunately isn't big enough - won't accomodate three large plastic child seats across the back and though I've got the extra seat that goes in the back it's actually pretty crap - rear facing, no seat belts.

I'm not going to sell any of the BXs but I am searching for a suitable vehicle with more seating. As I'm not too fond of modern vehicles I'm scratching around in the past for something suitable and preferably French. Under consideration have been one of the Peugeot familials - 504, 505 or even earlier 203s, 404s ( though the wife thinks something from 1957 is perhaps a bit too much of an antique) of course I've considered a CX Familial too but really don't want another hydraulic restoration project. It's got to be relatively kid proof, cement carrying, multiple seated and not to expensive as well as complying with German emission taxes which rules out almost anything diesel newer than 1983 ( once it's thirty years old it can be 'oldtimer' registered - low tax and emissions exempt)

Any thoughts gents?

Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Jayboy
BXpert

Re: Beyond the BX?

Post by Jayboy »

I'd go with the 504. Always had a soft spot for them since being a little kid. Not to mention they're also a Bond villain car at this topical time of the 50th anniversary of Bond movies. Plus they were in production well in to the nineties in various places so in the modern, internet age, parts shouldn't be too much of an issue.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Renault 21 Savanna?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

My father had a 504 with seven seats so I've got a thing for them too. They're very hard to find in Germany and though there are a few available in France, they're all over the 'other side' towards the Atlantic. Then I would have to travel/import/paperwork. I'll keep looking.

The Renault Savanna was called The Renault Nevada here I think - anyone know anything about these? It must have been almost the last of the French wagons with the three rows of seats?
Todd

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I bought a Picasso. Not old or interesting, but safety, reliability and running costs are more important for me. Plus none of those cars have 3 point rear belts in the centre seat, so you'll have issues fitting a modern car seat in the middle.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mike22861
BXpert

Post by mike22861 »

I Had a Renault 21 Savanna it wasa great car I can't imagine there are any around now they were poor build quality and prone to rust
1992 BX 4x4 Gti aircon Silver
1991 BX 19 TGD Red(the Red Baron)
1993 BX 17 TZD Red the new Daily
1986 BX 16 RS Leader (The only 1 left I believe)
2003 Landrover Defender 110 CSW TD5
1985 Landrover Defender 90 4SC County
some other newer Nissans
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

ive just bought a 406 peugeot estate with seven seats not old but again as Kitch said reliable.

how about the daddy of classic seven seaters , the volvo 240 torslanda

1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If you can find one early enough, Espace?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'd say Espace too, though the Renault 21 is a good shout. My 21 Monaco was a lovely thing. 1.7-litre is transverse engine, 2-litre (and 2.1 diesel) is longitudinal and has a longer wheelbase than the 1.7. They're well knocked together, hardy but can be tricky to work on (replacing the starter motor on my 21 was a pig of a job!). Rear arch rot needs watching for.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for all the suggestions. The R21 seems to be quite appreciated! I too like early Espaces. It's all down to 'what turns up' within striking distance for the right dollar.

Perhaps if I find something suitably 80s and French I can still hang around here? :-reindeer
Todd

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I know it's a 1994+ vehicle but you could consider a 1.9TD Synergie/806/Ulysee - (our 806 is proving popular with the family - including my parents who liked the fact they didn't need to drive to/from the restaurant last weekend lol!)

Good protection for the family at a good price. Very well equipped if you go for top spec. and not a bad drive (for a van). The advantage of it being based upon a commercial is that it's built like a brick ****house :)

or even Lancia Zeta
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Go buy an old but big Landie.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

W123 Merc 240TD? in beige of course!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Don't think the Merc's had seven seats did they? Might be wide enough for there kiddie seats though I guess.

A pre-1983 7-seat diesel is quite tricky to achieve. Land Rover options are limited to the Series III (or a very early 110) which are rubbish.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Land Rover options are limited to the Series III (or a very early 110) which are rubbish.
Any series LWB station wagon would have enough seats, but fitting the belts may be a problem. They're also thirsty - expect 20mpg from a 4 cylinder petrol, low teens from a 6 or 8 cylinder, or 26mpg from the diesel. You may have to check licencing and use laws too - 12 seaters are classed as minibuses, but 10 seaters may be ok.

For road use I'd fit freewheeling front hubs to reduce the rolling resistance, an overdrive or Disco diffs to raise the gearing, and parabolic springs for comfort.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!