Beyond the BX?

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Re: Beyond the BX?

Post by toddao »

The Merc is a good idea. There was a 7 seat option available but the rear seats faced backwards. Landrovers are something that I like but I'm a bit intimidated by - all that 4WD stuff. Perhaps - like the BX - once you get to know them it's straightforward?

My father-in-law has a Ulysses from the mid 90s which goes well and is a good workhorse but I feel 'people carriers' ( apart from the first Espace) would be a short cut to blandness/ middle-aged Dad anonymity. Ok, I am indeed an anonymous middle-aged Dad but while I can still wield a spanner and there's no signs of arthritis let's keep it relatively interesting as long as it doesn't end up one cold dark night on the hard-shoulder!

French lefty family-farmer chic is the vibe!

This was the dream but a touch of practicality prevents

The new crazy dream? :mrgreen:

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I really should stop being bland and middle-aged.... Hello? ...Anybody hear me? Oh no, I'm anonymous! :( :wink:

French lefty farmer chic; I like it :) A Renault 21 Nevada's an excellent idea...

...but my choice would be Peugeot 505

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

/\ :D It's called diminishing returns Phil, the only balm being a few drops of the vino rouge. I knew you'd like my bit of social comment. No matter how we try to individualise ourselves we all end up seething in the anonymous mass! Apart from celebrities like Eddie The Eagle who walks amongst the gods we are all destined to ride in the people carrier! :lol: ( No mid-life crisis here, I don't want a red Italian sports car)

I really like the 505 too but they've all been dispatched off to the dark continent around here. No, not Poland.
Todd

JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

toddao wrote:
Oh hell, that's class! (on a planet of it's own)

Think maybe they were going for this look? Image
I have zero patience for your tedium.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

My daughter really likes that colour scheme - she's 4 years old and thinks that everything should be pink. The rear view show's that it's a real performance car with those drainpipe exhausts. Shame he couldn't have found a piece of old fence or something to make some side skirts out of then we would take it more seriously .

I've got to say that this is another thing that nudges me towards the R21 option. Though it was apparently fitted only on the TXE saloon and not the Savanna/Nevada. Could it be swapped in? Then I wouldn't feel too far away from the familiar BX display.

F.Ted, my sister has got a C8 for her gang and it's done good service as well as providing entertainment with its random electrical manifestations. 4 grand is a bit out of my range however. I've never spent more than 500 sheets on a set of wheels (nor got out of the 80s yet ) though normally have to spend a couple more €€€s to get everything sorted. Is that what they call Bangernomics?
Todd

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I bet you could cram an extra row of seats into one of these.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

FrTed wrote:I can recommend these on the 2.0HDi, budget in for a belts and water pump change (£400) if its not been done and the car is over 5 years old/50K miles as they grenade if left longer. Otherwise they can be bought for peanuts, give 40+ MPG and lug around 7 or 8 people with ease.
Mine tows a 23' caravan as well.

LX trim avoids the electrics that can play up, but SX has far more toys and really isnt that bad with electrical malladies (you never get bored of opening the doors by remote in the car park when someone is stood by the car) - avoid the Exclusive as the sunroofs can leak.

The example above with 47K miles and FSH would set you back about £4K with a bit of haggling.
And when the heater plugs go you need to take the engine out to have them changed ;-(
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The ambulance would certainly be big enough but fitting the seats would be a challenge - the 504/5 had a special kind of flat rear suspension which made it possible for the extra leg space for the third row of seats. There was that 7 seater BX that was sold in that Heuliez auction recently but I don't know how that was configured. Also I would then have to go to the TÜV and get it all approved and added to the paperwork, which I think would be almost impossible.

The Savanna/Nevada continues to allure >>^

Todd

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I must admit i'd be going with Kitch's suggestion, Xsara Picasso in HDI form, loads of room & storage, soft suspension so its actually comfy, no charachter so when it get's scratched you won't care, loads available & decent specs & they are now cheap. A family workhorse which wifey will enjoy driving due to the elevated driving position & easy to drive nature, & good mpg to boot :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Friend of mine married a woman who already had six kids. Hated the idea of a people carrier so got round the transport problem with a stretched Merc limousine - very cool way for the kids to turn up to school...!
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Just bung a pair of booster seats in the boot with lapstraps bolted to the rear seat belt mounts,that's what I did in my 960 Volvo
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh yes. Good thought that. Must be a few W123 limos kicking about in Germany, usually with feeble diesel power and a slush box.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:It's got to be relatively kid proof, cement carrying, multiple seated and not to expensive as well as complying with German emission taxes which rules out almost anything diesel newer than 1983
I couldn't help thinking there's already something in your barn which meets those criteria :wink: May not be handy to park though...

I'd go with the suggestion of something reasonably modern, say 10 years old as it will have pretty much reached the bottom of its depreciation curve yet new enough for parts to be easily available, and old enough for people to have figured out workarounds to any common problems.
Unless you want something you'll have to do a lot of tinkering with that is - I know you have a surplus of spare time. I just figured you might want to spend that time on the more important things in life, like beer or getting one of your many valvers on the road...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

/\ Trouble is, Todd's budget might be stretched too far... I imagine in Germany Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan type vehicles might just be attainable as might a suitable Volvo estate (850/V70?)....
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

MULLEY wrote:I must admit i'd be going with Kitch's suggestion, Xsara Picasso in HDI form, loads of room & storage, soft suspension so its actually comfy, no charachter so when it get's scratched you won't care, loads available & decent specs & they are now cheap. A family workhorse which wifey will enjoy driving due to the elevated driving position & easy to drive nature, & good mpg to boot :)
That's pretty much the line I took. Why would I make life difficult trying to use something else because I didn't like the idea of an MPV? A car is, above everything else, a tool for a job. Why would I not buy the best tool for the job, if it was affordable?
It does 45-55mpg, makes loading and unloading kids a walk in the park and it's going to put up a better fight protecting my kids if someone forgets how to drive and hits it than something old I like more.
We park it where we want, drive it how we want and don't care. It's got moss growing on it at the moment.
That said, it's quite a lot of fun with the remap. 206lb ft of torque is good fun for surprising people off of roundabouts who wish to cut me up!

Character? Doesn't matter one jot. There are far more important characters travelling in the back of it!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)