NEC 2013 - (15-18 Nov) - be afraid, be very afraid

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

NEC 2013 - (15-18 Nov) - be afraid, be very afraid

Post by Caffiend »

Doubtless this thread will undergo some title changes. Or perhaps not.

To avoid speculation and/or potential duplication of efforts, I would like to announce that I have been nominated, and have Ian's (Dollywobbler's) blessing to co-ordinate attempts at a BXC world takeover bid, I mean few square foot at the NEC for 2013, and am in possession of the application form (thanks Mark for remembering to check back at the office which was closed when I went!). Unfortunately, the role does not, apparently, come with a special hat, which makes me very sad, but I'll survive.

Having been hopelessly indocrinated by the public sector, my instant reaction to being asked if I'd take on the task was naturally to line up a committee so I could delegate all the responsibility. The following have kindly already agreed to assist IF we get a stand:

Mark (mds141) as Deputy Organiser because he likes that sort of thing. He's always been a bit peculiar like that (but if it turns out that there is a special hat it's MINE, OK?)
Mike H (mike22861) as Head of Engineering, to make happen the demonstrations that were Ian's concept but that there were sadly no time to implement this year
Eoin S (Birotor) as Head of Personnel. We don't have resources, we have people and I am hoping that his desire to join us next year means that he'll help with volunteer rotas for the event itself
Paul (Paul296) as Artistic Director, I mean Production Designer. He also wants to be an all round good egg, but as most eggs I've ever seen are oval, I'm not sure I can allow that.

All these gentlemen know me well enough to know that I'm a power-crazed harpy with occasional psychotic tendencies, but will probably suffice to keep me in order when it comes to decision making. Even if Mark has to sit on me. My first decree is that NO decisions will be made until we know whether we have been successful in the first place in getting a stand for next year. The form says we will hear back in April/May, but I'm kinda hoping it will be sooner. Because we are so awesome that they can't possibly hold that show without us.

Speculate and argue away peoples, because all ideas, offers and suggestions are welcome although no final arrangements will be made until we know if BXC will be allowed to be exhibitionists at NEC 2013.

Thank you, talk amongst yourselves for the next 5-6 months, will dust off thread and post updates as/when known.
Last edited by Caffiend on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: NEC 2013 - be afraid, be very afraid

Post by Tim Leech »

Count me in, and any assistance, cars, posters, etc needed.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Thank you very much - didn't like to ask in case you'd be too busy with Rover stuff (HERETIC) but I should imagine that your skills will be essential as polisher. If we get the stand, report to Mr Handley pls ;P
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Multitasking is my middle name.
Daisy
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 19TGD 1991 "Daisy" RIP 21/7/2014
Citroen BX 19TGD 1990 "Myrtille "

Post by Daisy »

You have my vote :-D
I can construct a hat if need be, and volunteer as tea-lady if I can smuggle in our camping stove. (Are there any rules about this, if known about ?)
AM
'90 19TGD 'Olympic Blue' "Myrtille"
'91 19TGD 'Alpine White' 28.02.91-21.07.14 "Daisy" R.I.P
Still on the road - Many thanks to Rob Moss at Chevronics, Hitchin, Herts
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: NEC 2013 - (15-18 Nov) - be afraid, be very afraid

Post by Caffiend »

Oh yeah, dates might be handy. Thread title edited accordingly.

No camping stoves sadly :( - I offered my Trangia as it's not gas, but even though cars have to have low fuel and batteries disconnected, naked flame is a big no. I saw one stand with a plug in urn: if we can get electric connection then that might be a plan if we can blag one - and you're hired either way :)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

An electrical connection that can actually handle a kettle is in the region of £80 or so apparently, which buys a lot of tea from one of the stands. Food is a bigger cost, so a bit of prep there (like we did on the Friday) is a major cost-saver.

Well done for stepping up to the mark though Sandre. I can certainly offer help and assistance (before and during the show) even if I may not be able to spend as much time on-stand as I did this year.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well we know what to organise for next year now as this was our first try we did very well, we have most of the banners and posters from this year, but maybe we can club together and get a couple of feather flags perhaps? Definatly we need some flyers or maybe club stickers to give away too and some more BX seats for people to sit on as they went down very well!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think you need to have a car with leather seats on the stand ;)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Well, as far as I am aware my brother has no plans to get married again next November having done so this past weekend and neither, as far as I am aware do any other close family members so I am fairly hopeful that I can attend this one.

As Sandre will be very busy in Organiser capacity I volunteer to make the flapjack/cake/sandwiches. I may not get a hat but I have a rather fetching bright yellow pinny.
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If we can squeeze another 5 cars on next year then I think we need the same "mix" of models, ive done my stint this year cars wise so happy to muck in and be the "stand valeter" if needed.

My suggestions are

TZD Turbo Estate or Hatch

Mk1 (GT perhaps) Toms or maybe that 5000 miles ex Rugg.

16v P1/P2

A basic 14 if we can get one?

1.7/1.9D rep tastic hatchback

Not all the cars need to be "minters" Timex probably got more attention then the rest but tidy examples would be good, Eoin Sloans Estate got lots of positive feedback also.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

merlyn wrote:As Sandre will be very busy in Organiser capacity ...
Not at this rate, everyone else will be doing all the work :mrgreen: - seriously, thanks everyone for the enthusiastic response, I really hope our application for space is successful. It was a damn fine job this year, even so, with the benefit of 2012's experience and Ian staying on the team in an advisory capacity I know we can raise the game for 2013.

The Chief Engineer (Mike H ;P) and I calculated yesterday that by the time 5 or 6 of us had at least a couple of cups of tea or coffee a day at an average £2/pop, we can't have been far short of spending 80 quid on drinks between us all over the whole 3-4 days (including setup Thu). I will find out what the likelihood is of us being able to get electricity and whether I need to put that on the application or when that gets sorted (not mentioned on the form at all). We will also require public liability insurance. Will worry about costs/calls for donations from those who are willing and able when we know if we're going and what we've got, so that'll be April/May time.

On the subject of the cars, totally agree that we need a good range, as we did this year - every one of them drew significant interest. I've already had a number of suggestions, all good ones, and keep 'em coming, but please can we not get too bogged down in 'whose cars' until we know whether the stand is a done deal? Thanks.
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. No point getting too hung up on cars at the moment. Everyone seems to remember the BX for being a car that covers big mileage, so I'd like to get milometers made up to go on the roof of each car. Therefore, we need at least one mega-miler with at least 200,000 behind it (preferably still on its original engine).

The tricky thing is getting at least one car that really stands out from all the shiny, shiny. Mark's Valver and Mike's estate both did a good job there. You never know, I might have the Green Tiger back on the road if we need another stand-out scruffy one...
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Well the Hurricane is available if we get a stand next year - and I think that's quite a big if at the moment. Looking round the stands of the other exhibitors, two words to sum up the best ones: carpet, stickers. 8)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

turbo killers leathered up 16 valve kinda kills 2 birds with one stone.
Oh god a woman in charge of a car show stand, whatever next, before we know it, they will be wanting the right to vote I suppose
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!