BX 16v tips on buying

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: BX 16v tips on buying

Post by Tim Leech »

Lovely! Welcome to bx ownership! That low coolant light is a the sensor in the header tank, it can be just corrosion or may need replacing. It has a red connector.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Looks great! A good deal I reckon. And welcome.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Good work! Good deal for the money. They're easy to work on (apart form the doseur valve) and you'll have a lot of fun driving it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do lurk on here, i currently use a BX diesel, but this will have to go soon as i have too many cars. I'm going to give the interior a good clean this afternoon after I've done a compression test and looked at the coolant sensors etc.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Looks like a lot of car for £500!

Nice one.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

I spent some time on the car today, cleaned the interior and gliptoned the seats, the interior is in excellent shape and the seats are hardly worn, i need some mats but i suppose original Citroen mats are no longer available?
When i started the car the coolant warning light was not lit, but after it had warmed up it came on, but the level is OK and it does not overheat, along with the coolant light the hydraulic pressure and level light comes on and so does the oil pressure light, i think i have a French electrical gremlin, any ideas?
I carried out a compression test and everything is fine, #1 cyl = 204, #2 cyl = 205, #3 cyl 210, #4 cyl 204, i think #3 cylinder is slightly high because this is the one not firing properly, i think its a duff plug, because i put this plug back in a different cylinder and the same thing happened, new plugs tomorrow, it has NGK BCP7ET in at present.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The other red warning lights are earthed through the oil pressure switch, so that they can be tested with ignition on/engine not running. Hence your problem is likely to be the oil pressure switch (rightly or wrongly) indicating low oil pressure with engine warm and oil is thinner. What does the pressure gauge say? Do the lights go off if revved?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Pressure gauge is around 2 bar ish, it does fluctuate a bit and the lights don't go out when revved, I could only find one earth point, on the nsf inner wing, so i cleaned it up anyway, but no change. I am sure the oil system is fine, I'll check the oil switch tomorrow if i have time and also fit my oil pressure test kit to check the system pressure.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hopefully just a failed oil pressure switch, or perhaps a short to earth in its wiring.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

That gauge is for nothing more than comedic effect :lol:

It's likely both the sensors are knackered I reckon. The oil pressure lamp should light up while the gauge acts a level gauge. When you start the engine it should go out and then the oil level gauge turns into a pressure gauge (of sorts).

Coolant one....is this the one in the middle? That's the coolant level. The sender is on the side of the tank and the connectors always get mucky. The senders usually fail too. If the light is the little one next to the coolant temp gauge, that's one of the small sensors near the thermostat housing (Green or brown one usually).
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Only managed an hour on the car today, fitted new NGK plugs and we're firing on all 4 cylinders again, idles really well. Once warm the warning lights came on again, so i managed to get a long srewdriver down past the inlet manifold and flick of the connector, at least the warning lights went out :) and the pressure gauge stayed active, I'll replace the oil switch tomorrow, it looks like i will need fingers like ET to get at it! Best attacked from underneath ? Any tips or pointers greatly welcomed.
I had a quick look at the non-functioning drivers door window, when operating the switch i am getting a dull click from the solenoid/box behind the trim panel and the motor itself, i guess these motors are not easy repairable? A replacement motor looks imminent.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Window motors do fail, with no warning, had one go this year, doddle to replace, and worth giving the runners etc a squirt with grease whilst youve got the door panel off.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Are these motors still available new?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Were bound to have a spare one between us on here.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Tim Leech wrote:Were bound to have a spare one between us on here.
Thought so :wink:

I'll try to go through the car this week and then put up a wanted list in the ads section. Hopefully i can get things sorted quickly then its off to the bodyshop to get the roof and bonnet painted, then MOT, tax, insurance, road :D