Another BX saved.

Anything about BXs
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Another BX saved.

Post by DavidRutherford »

This BX is now in my garage getting a new water pump and cambelt.

And it's a great car. Reasonably rust-free, and has the nice black interior with the GTi type seats.

Thinking of using it as my main car for a while, as it's more economic than my 405TD and just as fast.

But. I'm too tall. My head brushes on the roof all the time, which is REALLY annoying when driving it. In a non-sunroof car it's not a problem, but in this one (which has a working sunroof) there's less headroom.

Anything that can be done about this? I was wondering about lowering the seat an inch or so, but not sure (having never taken a BX seat apart before) how easy this would be.

Anyone else at 6' or taller had this problem?
this might be a signature
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

This is a problem I've heard before with cars with sunroofs.
I don't have a problem with it which isn't surprising, but then again, neither does my youngest son who goes just on 6 foot 5, so I wonder if export cars have different seats in them than yours over there?
I suppose option 2 is open the sunroof and look out the top. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

AlanS wrote:I suppose option 2 is open the sunroof and look out the top.
Which is *sort of* what I have to do. I have to open the sunroof blind/cover, and that gives me just a tad more room. But, It's right at the back corner of the sunroof, and if I move, I catch the roof again :evil:
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Can't you adjust the tilt so that you sit lower?

Mark.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I once did some adjustments on a 16Trs when I sold it.
Don't ask me why, but for some reason, Trs's don't seem to suit the seating positions of women drivers; they all seem to complain of getting cramps in the ankle on the right foot.
I told my missus she was being a bit hard to get on with when she complained about mine, until I sold the car and the bird who bought it had the exact same complaint, so my missus couldn't drive it and I did nothing and the buyer couldn't drive it so I fixed it by doing cuts and packings on the seat rails.
That went down a treat at home I can tell you. :roll: :roll: :oops:

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Good buy you got yourself there David and aonther one saved. I`m circa 6`3" and have never noticed a problem with headroom in any of the BX`s. My biggest interior gripe is the seat back doesn`t come forward enough to suit my ample frame.
Vauxhall apologist.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I think it's possible to make a car fit you regardless.
When I worked in the car industry, we once had a short guy with an enormous gut tell a salesman he'd buy a new car only if he guaranteed him he could drive it. He was one strange looking character. He was about 50 inches around the girth but had very short legs and the car concerned (that I doubt you guys would have seen) was a Fraud Falcon. This model had a large steering wheel that sat almost on the seat and the driver sat very low behind the wheel.
They firstly put blocks under the seat rails (front bench seat mind you) so he could see over the wheel. They extended the gear lever and put a bend in it so he could reach it, extended the handbrake (the variety that went straight down under the dash) and built these enormously big wooden blocks on the pedals and nailed rubber pads to them.
Only downside was whenever he brought it in for a service, the mechanics had to wait until he came to collect the car so they could go for a test drive with him as nobody else could fit into the drivers seat. So nothing's impossible. :oops: :oops:

Alan S :wink:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I am 6' 1" and find it much more comfortable to leave the sunroof cover slid back. Means a hot head on sunny days, but... the trouble is in the back. The sunroof takes valuable space from there and for me the best modification would be one that allowed a lower rear seat base (not by much - up to an inch or so...) and a slightly less upright back. So I might as well consider a bigger car! :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Overall size is not the true comparison for this as there are different ratios between leg length and body. For example although I was taller by about 5 inches than my father, when we sat together in a tube train (for example) he would appear to be taller than me.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I think this is part of the problem I have. Although I'm 6' tall, the jeans I wear are only a 30" inside leg measurement, which apparently is rather short. So, I guess I have a rather long upper body.

I'm having a look at the seat this afternoon. I really don't want to change the seats for anything else, as I find them really rather comfortable, and the tilt adjust at the front is great for support just behind the knee to avoid tired-leg syndrome. I just wish there was a tilt adjustment that moved the back of the squab up and down too!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:I just wish there was a tilt adjustment that moved the back of the squab up and down too!
That was the beauty of the Saab seats with the multi motor adjustments. Whether its possible (& would look OK) to fit these to a BX, I don't know though. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto