St Tropez has passed her MOT

Anything about BXs
Des Smith
1K Away

St Tropez has passed her MOT

Post by Des Smith »

H122WAM passed her MOT last week. I gave her a good polish (long overdue) and checked all the moving/wiping/flashing bits were doing what they should and then took a roundabout route to my friendly garage to make sure the engine was nice and warm.

I'm on such good terms with the garage (read as "I've paid them so much money over the last two years that I should be a shareholder") that I got a guided tour in the pit.

This was an early warning process, and the MOT tester showed me some important pointers. The front sub-frame is going to need replacing soon, along with some new inner sills due to developing corrosion in front of the rear wheel arches.

Strangely, I was expecting more corrosion beneath the rear quarter panels which are looking decidedly dodgy.

On the plus side, the rest of the underside looks pretty solid.

Judging by the positive comments about Chevronics, I am thinking about getting the whole job done as a one-er - I was impressed with the idea of getting the underside completely de-rusted and treated with their rubberised underseal, along with the replacement of the rusty rear quarter panels with the new ones, followed by a paint job.

If anyone's got any ideas about sourcing the front sub-frame, I'd be interested to hear them.

In the meantime, I have a ticket to ride... :D :D :D
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: St Tropez has passed her MOT

Post by citsncycles »

There are a couple of cars being scrapped at the moment, so I'd advise looking to locate a good 2nd hand subframe - I believe that the late ones are pretty much interchangeable. It may even be repairable, but as it would possibly need removing to do so it may not be cost effective.

The rear of the inner sills is fairly straight forward but depending on how bad it is gaining access may involve a fair bit of dismantling, and possibly cutting part of the outer sill away.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive got a spare front subframe removed from the car.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

If you do take it to Rob's let me know and swing by for a cuppa on your way home to avoid North Circular in rush hour :)

I am also very interested in the wax injection thingy once I've had some welding done to the inner wings next spring - if you're on Facebook, think they have some pix on their page.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Caffiend wrote:If you do take it to Rob's let me know and swing by for a cuppa on your way home to avoid North Circular in rush hour :)
If I take it to Rob's, I may be Hitchin' a lift home :shock: (Sorry - gratuitous punning :roll: ) Actually, it'll be the train home. However, I may well want to show off the end result and you can have a look then. Sounds a fair exchange for a brew?

Tim, thanks for the offer - I'll PM you about the sub-frame.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987