Anyone thought of seeking a bit more go out of a n/a diesel?

Anything about BXs
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Anyone thought of seeking a bit more go out of a n/a diesel?

Post by oilybox »

I'm looking at trying to get more 'oomph' from my n/a diesel, I'm thinking maybe some kind of supercharger?, fitting NitrousOxide Injection, (puzzled as to how I can add the extra fuel needed, when doing this?), or can I fit a turbo to my n/a engine, if I did, how would I get the pump to feed more fuel as the turbo requires it?...... Before anyone says anything, I've already changed all filters and oil for new, (thinking of trying a K+N Filter, as I've had good results on other (petrol), vehicles with them), is fitting a less restrictive exhaust a good move?, or substituting a straight-thro pipe in place of the centre box?... From time to time I use a bit of filtered Waste Veg Oil, which seems to give slightly quicker performance, and much quieter engine, (downside is a little smoke on start-up, which clears after 2 mins)..... Any ideas, -I realise I'm asking a lot here, but I'm kind of on the breadline a bit at the moment.....
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....
Mothman

Re: Anyone thought of seeking a bit more go out of a n/a die

Post by Mothman »

Hi bud,

fitting a K&N airfilter and using veg oil made no noticeable difference to my N/A diesel.
Best thing you could do is fit a turbo to it, that would certainly give you the performance you require.
Other than that, just drive it harder, i do, when ime not driving my turbo that is.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

your car being an N/A would usually have a Lucas pump, there are a lot of people in the FCF (french car forum ) saying veg oil destroys the seals in Lucas pumps,

your other option is just get a TD BX

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by oilybox »

Mines got a Bosch fuel pump .....
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As the guys says, theres no real way of getting any more ooomph out of a 1.9D without a turbo, its not a case of bolting a turbo to the existing engine, the thing to check before you do this though is make sure the injectors are clean, as is the airfilter and that you are getting full throttle when you depress the pedal. When I got my 1.9D it was "gummed" up, some injector cleaner, a good service and a few good long runs made things much better, hardly sparking performance but acceptable.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

My NA has a Bosch pump too.

I don't think there's much you can do really. The NA lacks oomph. If you want more go, get a turbo diesel. That'll be a lot easier than trying to get more power out of an NA. I still like both engines for different reasons.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

oilybox wrote:fitting NitrousOxide Injection, (puzzled as to how I can add the extra fuel needed, when doing this?), or can I fit a turbo to my n/a engine, if I did, how would I get the pump to feed more fuel as the turbo requires it?......
Nitrous for a diesel would be a "dry" system (with only an N2o injector and no fuel). As the air into the intake is not metered (like petrol injection), the fuel is not increased to suit. Simple diesels like ours burn all the fuel at lower revs as there is no control of the oxygen in the cylinders, the volume of air is constant and the quantity of fuel is the variable. The ratio changes as revs increase to a point where more fuel is injectted than can be burnt (black smoke).

The simple way to add N2o is to enrich your mixture to a point where you start to smoke lightly at an acceptable rev point (say 2.5k), then set a progressive controller to inject n2o at a point just before (2200rpm), this will give you reasonable economy and driveability under 2.5k but a kick up the arse above..

As always, there is no concern of the "running lean" issues petrols suffer from.

Your main issue would be cost if you used it regularly, Nitrous is not cheap!

As for a turbo, relatively straight forward if you had the matching Turbo pump, the n/a isn't compatible to offer the extra fuel.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by oilybox »

It'd just be for the odd overtaking manoeuvres, and only now and then when I need to speed up a little if running late.... So wouldn't 't be in constant use, as I'd have an 'arm/dis-arm' switch, so as not to activate it unless I consciously required it.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If fitting a turbo, it'd be worth checking if there are differences between the NA and turbo XUD9's. Some manufacturers use additional splash lubrication up under the pistons on turbo models to help keep them cool.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

There are Mike, the bottom end is beefed up to take the extra ooomph!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As well as oil jets to cool the pistons, the crank, conrods and pistons are different. The block would need drilling for a turbo oil feed and return; also I think the valves are different. I've got a feeling the HG is uprated too, certainly the exhaust/inlet manifold is different. It'd work without the internal mods, but life expectancy would suffer.

Running on an LPG/diesel mix might be a cheaper way to boost performance...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Doc mentioned in the past that you can fiddle with the diesel pump to make a respectable difference. If you could do that, this would surely you give you some extra fuelling that would make nitrous work on it? I must admit, it would be nice to have an extra 50bhp for overtaking with nitrous, but i generally don't have too many issues when overtaking as i just rev it as hard as a petrol motor & it goes quite well, perhaps the k&n panel filter helps a little?

Mat, i've heard of lpg being used with diesel, it is a bit unusual though & how much extra power would that type of method increase things by?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Water-methanol injection?

Or just buy a quicker car :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

MULLEY wrote:Mat, i've heard of lpg being used with diesel, it is a bit unusual though & how much extra power would that type of method increase things by?
TBH, I don't know. It helps the diesel burn more completely, and fuel savings of 30% have been mentioned. Here is a kit and some information. There was an interesting thread on the LPG forum I use a while back, but I can't find it at the moment. Power gains are going to be limited on a NA engine though, because of the limiting factor of being able to get enough air in.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Cheapest options are to adapt a td exhaust sytem onto your front pipe and adjust the full speed screw so the engine will pull more revs. Also make sure the fuel screw is adjusted up as much as possible without causing excess smoke/clatter.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn