Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by Dollywobbler »

I rather fear my budget will restrict me to a patch or two this time around.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Actually washed the BX today, before transporting a scaffolding tower in it. Did those the wrong way around really but nevermind!

Thing that really struck me is how crap the paint is, all over it. That lacquer is just dreadful. I'm quite seriously of a mind to treat it to a colourful, home-brew paint job. Proper hippy shit or something. I certainly can't afford to give it the total strip-down and repaint it needs and reckon a few layers of paint will help rustproof it...
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

BL purple?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

5 year exterior gloss and a roller give a good finish, but you need to keep it under cover for at least a day as it takes ages to dry! I painted the series 1 at least 5 years back this way and it still looks good.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

How about a nice subtle yellow Luke the old dolly sprints came in,
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm. Keeping it under cover might be tricky. Our garage is beneath the house, so it's a great way of filling the dining room with paint fumes...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

New glow plugs fitted today. Starts much better now and much less smokily...

Not too bad a job. I seem to recall it was much worse on my Bosch equipped BXs, both of which had winter glow plug sessions. The third plug was totally covered by fuel piping which I nervously and gently had to force aside to allow access. Dropped the plug as I was removing it from the fourth cylinder and I've no idea where it is. I guess it'll fall out at some point.

Also pleased to report that I didn't drop even one of the 8mm nuts.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Have been getting some quotes today to get the back end welded up. Looks like about £80 should do it for now, which my budget can just stretch to! Mind you, while it's at a garage, I'm tempted to get them to change the knackered steering rack gaiter too. Lot easier if it's on a ramp.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

To get that rust sorted for 80 quid seems good to me - no chance of such a deal here.

Looking at those rust pics it does make me wonder what would actual be terminal rust for a BX. Not just : it's too much work but actually too far gone. I suppose anything could be fixed if the will was there!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Indeed. Getting my estate properly sorted out will be a major challenge, though I'm hoping a recent change of working circumstances will leave more disposable in my pocket...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Indeed. Getting my estate properly sorted out will be a major challenge, though I'm hoping a recent change of working circumstances will leave more disposable in my pocket...

I think with the recent demise of the red shed it makes me more pretective of the Club Stalwarts, is there any parts off of it you need Ian by the way?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Probably, but it's going to take a while until I've got the funds flowing sufficiently. Getting the TXD sorted has to be my priority and there are still quite a few jobs needed.

One thing I really need to do is sort out the door latch on the driver's door. I suspect it needs realignment as the door shuts in a horrible manner. The passenger door is very sweet by comparison. The new regulator/motor I fitted to the driver's door is also now squawking, which is annoying. I pinched the spray bar from the Green Tiger today as well.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Busy times for the BX. It is bloomin' useful. First off, it had to transport a scaffolding tower so we could fix our chimney.

Then it had a little electricity exchange with The Green Tiger.

Yesterday it transported half a ton of sawdust briquettes. Felt a bit wobbly to be honest.

After taking the scaffolding back a couple of days ago, I used a pair of roof bars I'd been given to take the roof ladder back. I'd had to transport it inside the car to get it to ours, hanging out the back!

I quite like the window cleaner look.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Boot floor repaired. Looks a nice job. Quite a lot quieter! Pics will follow at some point if and when it stops raining.

If he sticks to the £80 quoted, I'll be even happier. One of these places where you take the car away and get invoiced later.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Here's the repaired boot floor. Sadly it doesn't look so neat from below so I'm going to get them to tidy that up in the New Year. It's a rot trap waiting to happen.

And a few of both BXs together.