Going.....Going.....GONE!

Anything about BXs
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

DavidRutherford wrote:
mnde wrote:
ken wrote:Now she's gone, there's only one thing left to do.
Buy another Mk1 BX
Fancy a MK1 BX 19 GT Digit? I'm toying with the idea of selling it, as I've so-far managed to do almost nothing with it, and it would be better in the hands of someone with less cars than I have at the moment!
Surely this is possibly the BEST opportunity to ever see a really pukka Digit on the road??? I'd quite fancy it myself!
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ian_Fearn wrote:
DavidRutherford wrote:
mnde wrote:Buy another Mk1 BX
Fancy a MK1 BX 19 GT Digit? I'm toying with the idea of selling it, as I've so-far managed to do almost nothing with it, and it would be better in the hands of someone with less cars than I have at the moment!
Surely this is possibly the BEST opportunity to ever see a really pukka Digit on the road??? I'd quite fancy it myself!
Go for it, you know who`ll have the GTi back don`t you (providing there`s a discount for you taking away it`s character by cleaning it :lol: ) ?
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Ian_Fearn wrote:Surely this is possibly the BEST opportunity to ever see a really pukka Digit on the road??? I'd quite fancy it myself!
If I have the time this summer, then it will be restored to a very high standard. The problem is that I will only do it if I can do it properly. I refuse to do things by halves.

If Ken is interested in taking it on, then that's great, as I'm sure he will do an outstanding job with it too.

Does anyone know if there are any other Digit models left on UK roads? I did have plans to Dieselise it in the past, as I'm not a fan of petrol engines, but if it's potentially the only one on the road, then I guess it ought to retain it's original engine.

It does however, need a complete respray, as the paint on it at the moment is rough-as-you-like. Again... I was thinking of changing it to a nicer colour... but maybe it should stay original.
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

it NEEDS to stay original!!!

Same colour, engine etc etc.

I've never heard of another on the roads in this country.
Over and out from me
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

O-R-I-G-I-N-A-L!!! [-o<
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Well.......

Considering that I saved it (almost literally) from the jaws of the crusher, (12 hrs later and it would have been squashed and on it's way to china) Whatever guise it ends up in will be better than had I not interviened.

But. I do understand the need for originality on a car as rare as this.

Which is almost a shame for me, as It's a non-sunroof car, which means I fit in it. With a 1.9TD engine, resprayed a deep blue, and with some A/C it would be a superbly useable daily car for me. It's even got a top-shaded windscreen, which I really like.

Plus I love the MK1 dashboard, and the DIGIT "clocks" unit suits the 80's styling of the car a treat.

The colour is less nice though. It's that pale grey that MK1 GT's so often came in. I hate it.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. I like it a lot, but it's not a useable daily car from my point of view. (I can't afford the petrol bills of a 1.9 carb engine) So do I sell it. Or restore it and then only use it every now and then, or build it as a useable car with alterations that are likely to get me lynched by a mob of BXclubbers (with clubs!)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Mmmmmm indeed, David. It's your car do what you like.

But you could pass it on for restoration as a piece of Citroen history and buy a standard (and economical) diesel BX with the proceeds. If the dash is such a factor then so be it. But the colour? Surely it makes sense to let it go and get another BX in a colour you can live with. After all a decent apint job'll cost.

Again. Don't let us tell you what to do with your property. But you are in a pretty unique position...

All the best, mate.
:D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Philip chidlow wrote:After all a decent paint job'll cost.
This is something I can do myself....
Philip chidlow wrote:Don't let us tell you what to do with your property.
No... please do! I evedently can't make the decision for myself, or I'd have probably done something with it by now!!

You do have a very good point though. There are only really 2 options. Either sell as is, or restore, and then possibly sell.

What I ought to do to begin with is at least get it an MOT so that I can drive it to a meeting somewhere, and have others give me their opinion after seeing it.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sounds like a good plan, David. I am not 'in the market' but I imagine there'd be no shortage of eager enthusiasts with the right mix of knowledge and determination. good luck, what ever you decide to do!
8)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d go with originality too David and as Philip suggests perhaps buy yourself another BX, a diesel in which ever colour takes your fancy. It`d be great to see your car somewhere back on the road and it would attract lots of interest.
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

In my opinion (for what it matters?!) this is a historically important car that should be restored to an original state. Does anybody know if another exists???

BX diesels are all over the place should you be looking for a project car to put air con into etc etc.

I'm sure Billy could point you in the direction of a few :lol:

David, have you got any pictures you could post of this mythical creature?
Over and out from me
M

Post by M »

Ian_Fearn wrote:In my opinion (for what it matters?!) this is a historically important car that should be restored to an original state.
Hmm - this is where I beg to differ from the Cla$$ic crowd, I like a nice classic car, dont get me wrong - but I have never been a purist. I believe that a car should be used (as indeed should anything).
Cossetted? Yes...
Loved and cherished? Yes...
Cared for? Yes...
But original in every way shape and form? Weeeeel no actually. At the end of the day if its being appreciated and loved it really doesnt matter to me if its a different shade of pinky russet to the factory spec. Nor does it matter if someone has swapped the petrol engine for a diesel one, if in doing so it means the car is driven and enjoyed.

I suppose the classic crowd would say it devalues the car, but lets face it a car is only worth what somone is willing to pay - and how many people would pay more than a grand for a BX? Actually I have never paid more than a grand for any of my commuter cars. I dont love my BX any less than my mate Bob loves his 1937 Morris 8 (with A+ engine & box instead of the sidevalve unit) Bobs car is worth about £2k on the open market, but to him its priceless as its his first ever car (first one he got his leg over in too!) - its been adapted to make it more driveable on todays roads, though it looks farily stock standard, and Bob does drive it.

Hmm, No I would say if it means its going to be used to do what you want to with it. Far better that than sat in a garage for 50 weeks of the year.

At the end of the day IMHO its more important to keep the car in use and maintained so that someone else should they want could in the future revert it back to factory original, than to let it decompose in a barn or garage.

[/high horse] :twisted:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Here is the waffle I put up on the as-was andyspares forum slightly under a year ago.