Your BX highlight of 2012

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Your BX highlight of 2012

Post by Philip Chidlow »

For me it's been a year of mixed blessings - certainly on the BX front... but there are some highlights.

For me it has to be the Challenge, in May, and in particular that epic day which started in the early morning sun on the lakeside campsite Le Roustou, just east of Gap and ended at the apartments in Passay, a few KMs from Chamonix Mont Blanc. We crossed over the Col du Lautaret (literally one of the high points of the Challenge), passed through Albertville taking a detour to Beaufort (they were having a rally event there) en route...

As I write this I recall the other days of the Challenge; a surprisingly tranquil drive along the Loire, via Sancerre on the second full day, the breathtaking drive from south of Lyon to the aforementioned campsite... and so on.

As I didn't go to the ICCCR I can only assume that must rate very highly amongst those lucky enough to attend.

Anyway, anyone else have a tale to tell?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Re: Your BX highlight of 2012

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's difficult to pick just one moment, but the ones that spring to mind are the drive down to the Conservatoire - I'd wanted to take mine but half an hour before I set off to meet Vanny the plan was still to go in his! Obviously a huge disappointment for him, but it meant I could take mine.
The ICCCR was memorable for the wrong reasons, being almost overshadowed by the sudden failure of one of my new drop links - I was a bit of a grumpy bugger whilst I was there.
The best driving memory has to be the Col de Pontis, from Savines le Lac whilst on the Challenge. I have to say that the red mist came down somewhat, with two valvers behind me. Fortunately I did not meet anyone on the hairpins...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Too much choice for me - acquired my TZD at the end of Feb, first BXC meet at the X-rally in April, ImanyCsR, Conservatoire, NEC ...

2012 really has been a bumper year.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Mine was also collecting My TZD Estate in April. Borrowed a mates trailer and towed it from the Maidstone area. A very hairy tow as it only just fitted on the trailer but successfully done.
Since then its been to Cornwall and back 3 times and as yet hasnt missed a beat. The second was also collecting a BX on a trailer, the free MK 1 from Chessington.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A year of too many highlights for me too. Won awards with what is now Timex at two great shows (both for worst car there - X Rally and Shitefest), got the Green Tiger back and took it to the ICCCR, organising the impromptu BX convoy at the ICCCR, sold Timex to someone who's done great things with her and proudly watched her complete a trip to Paris, organised the NEC stand, attended the tech session in Ludlow, CXM Rally - parking the Green Tiger up at Bletchley Park, then buying my first BX Turbo Diesel.

It's been a bleedin' awesome year, made even better by the good people of this very club - whether I've met them at events or just via the interwebs. I've especially enjoyed the support Timex got while in my hands. A LOT of people gave up parts or time to help me get on top of that car's issues and I think Mike's had the same with the car now in his ownership. Certainly gives a warm feeling!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

For me it was the look of sheer joy on Tim's face when he spotted the NOS carpet mat set at the ICCCR. Oh and the challenge!!
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

BX highlight must be the madness of taking Timex to the Conservatoire and back in a day, just days after passing the MOT after a 2 1/2 week welding and spannering marathon.

This was only overshadowed by another experience that was more a Citroen highlight than a BX one - and that's the completion of the Classic Challenge in the GS, the preparation of which ran so close to the wire that I actually finished spraying one of the front wings over the course of the event!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The challenge for me without a shadow, driving round those winding country roads with my mates, the red baron schmoking away in front and a nearly green GS behind with its door mirrors scraping on the asphalt! Something I wont ever forget and will do again as soon as possible.

Oh and my new carpet mat set for £10 the DTR! :oops:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Caffiend wrote:acquired my TZD
..that_

The convoy drive at ICCCR and Conservatoire trip also high points of the year for me
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Good thread idea :!:

I haven't really had a 'highlight' as such. I bought another 16v, but then I've had loads of them!

Suppose if I had to pick something it might be playing around with mine on the rolling road. It means nothing really, but the day it finally peaked the 160bhp mark I was a happy man :lol:

But biggest highlight was probably getting the green light from my old man to restore the GT. Pretty cool going to work and getting paid to work on a car close to your heart!

Next year I'm planning to do that Ecosse thing and I reckon that'll be good fun. Not sure which car it'll be in yet...grey 16v will be on the road by then and I might run that for the year instead of the red one.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It might be wise to mention your wedding amongst the highlights, just in case Nat is reading this!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

mat_fenwick wrote:It might be wise to mention your wedding amongst the highlights, just in case Nat is reading this!
This is BX highlights, not 2012 highlights :lol:

Anyway, I went in a DS that day, not just the BX!

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ah, thought your BX was the wedding car...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

mat_fenwick wrote:Ah, thought your BX was the wedding car...
I drove it to the place we got married with two of my boys and my brother, and then my dad took it on to the reception about 10 miles away.

I suppose technically I did travel further in the BX that day :lol:

djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Well, mine is pretty small time compared to these tales of trekking across Europe, but I drove my 16v for the first time in 5 years. Only a quarter of a mile up my parents' drive and back, but it proved that it still moves! Should be back on the road in 2013...
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...