DIY Manual Choke Conversion

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

DIY Manual Choke Conversion

Post by Tim Leech »

Its well documented that the achilles heel of most carb fed BX's is the auto choke, I would be more than happy to replace both of mine for a cable affair, ive owned plenty of manual choke equipped cars (the SD1 has one and starts first time every time) surely it cant be that difficult as the 16RE has one.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to do, the 16TRS will be getting some use next year (and my be for sale) and the autochoke on that is rather hit and miss!

Cheers
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
JayW
1K Away

Re: DIY Manual Choke Conversion

Post by JayW »

I've literally JUST done it on the Athena (yesterday). I'll post up some pics shortly but it will mostly be determinied by the carb & linkage you have (although the principle remains the same).
I have zero patience for your tedium.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Finding a suitable choke KIT is like finding a shoeful of unobtainium so i had to make my own up from these components:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110978735890" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300812373807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271097219060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Total cost £14.50 and couple of washers.

There may well be various linkages dependent on carb spec so i'll quote for the Weber and the Solex boys can adapt.

Just remove the waxstat from it's mount (along with any counter-spring), you can either remove it and hook the pipes together with a piece of tube OR (like i did) just cable tie it securely out of the way (without kinkying the hoses) so you have the option to reinstate it:

Then, locate the adjuster (item 2 above) where the waxstat used to mount. On mine it was mounted in a bracket through large hole so i put the adjuster through a couple of penny-washers and loosly tighten it around its mid-point.

Mount the Choke Cable in the cabin and pass its end through the bonnet release grommet (just above the brake pedal), round the engine bay in a good wide arc to the Adjuster (avoiding contact with the alternator).

You should note that the inner of the cable is captive and only moves the distance the knob does and cannot be withdrawn from it's sheath, so don't be tempted to cut the cable down otherwise it'll be bin fodder.

Once passed through the Adjuster you simply have to connect it to the actuating arm the waxstat operated, in my case a small ID washer and trunion was all that was required. You should secure this when the cable is taut against the arm but not actually operating it.

Then pull the knob to check you get sufficient operation and use the adjuster to correct if required. When complete, securely tighten the Adjusters nuts. Jobbed.

Now that's enough talk of knobs and nuts for one day! ;)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

NOw I have seen this I feel some cosmetic surgery coming on.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent Jay, how is it running? much better I hope?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Parts bought off fleabay, will get stuck in asap!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Certainly better being controlable!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well if I can sort the starting and overfuelling issue for £15 then 2013 will be off to a good start!

Worth making this thread a sticky mods?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Nice installation, particularly as the choke knob is fitted where they are installed by Citroen on the 14's. All I'll say is that if the choke gets stiff, of you pull on it too enthusiastically the whole surround it's attached to can pop out of the dash!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

IMHO when an auto choke starts playing up it's often not a problem with the auto choke itself - it's usually a symptom of something else starting to go wrong - so it's worth investigating. Converting to a manual choke gives one a sense of control over the situation but it may be covering up a developing problem.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the usual failing of the auto choke used to be people/owners twiddling with the adjustment/settings,

the choke knob Jay has used looks like to old BMC style, you need to pop the lens out and replace the design for chevrons,

cant be having BMC bits on a citroen :roll: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

I have to say i would regard fitting a manual choke as going backwards, i would sooner fix/adjust the auto choke.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

If I still had the meteor I would be doing this as from personal experience, the solex autochoke is a worthless pile of poo imho
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

barry badger wrote:i would sooner fix/adjust the auto choke.
In my case, there's nothing wrong with the autochoke, it operates perfectly. The problem is with the waxstat & linkage.

One of the previous owners of my car changed the carb to a similar (but not identical) Weber. This came with a different linkage and although for the purposes of the throttle cable it is identical, the autochoke linkage is different.

Where many waxstats are physically identical, the "throw" of the wax cartridge and length of the pin are different. In this case, the pin is too long and operates the choke too far (2500rpm) at it's minimum adjustment. I removed the pin to cut it down and lost it on the gravel driveway. :?

My manual choke is fitted while I wait to bother to find a suitable replacement. And as a 20 minute job it was hardly a massive undertaking.

My driving is mostly short commutes and now i have manual control I find i can turn the choke off much sooner than the auto choke with no detrimental effect as the start of most of my journey are long downhill gradients. This means less fuel for approximately 10% of my daily mileage. Which has got to be worth a 2 mpg saving off my (remarkably) consistent weekly MPG.

I gained 3mpg in the week the choke was completely disconnected after losing the pin. But as we all know, cold and lean is mean :wink: Hence i had to fit the manual.

Time will tell.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Mickey taker wrote:If I still had the meteor I would be doing this as from personal experience, the solex autochoke is a worthless pile of poo imho

I've got a solex on WTF, which is a pain, strangely the GT is fine