. . . because I have too much time!!!

Anything about BXs
Pnoddy

. . . because I have too much time!!!

Post by Pnoddy »

Well, hello ladies and gents,

I'm Pat from Ireland and as the title of this post suggests, I've got too much time on my hands. So to pass the hours, I decided to restore my uncles 1989 BX . . . which to be honest is in a sorry state. I found that I would go through patches of motivation and complete frustration.

So to keep my spirits up and motivate me when I need it, I decided to find a forum where I can go and ask questions (and complain about . . . well mainly rust at the minute!)

I was hoping to upload a few pics but I haven't figured out how yet, I have a few up on the twitter though if you want to have a look - @PizzleNizzle
(Don't laugh!!! I know it looks a sorry state but I have big plans - backed by a complete lack of knowledge or ability)

Pat
kieran.l
BXpert

Re: . . . because I have too much time!!!

Post by kieran.l »

Hi Pat, welcome! I'm a relatively new member myself but quickly realised that no matter what question you have the guys here will have the answer, so this is definitely the place to be!
Whereabouts in Ireland are you? From the one pic I could see on your twitter the car doesn't look too bad, but definitely post some pics here for more experienced bx'ers to examine. Hows the car mechanically, engine, suspension?
Have a look at this for a sorry-state :lol: http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=17435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome Pat, you will fit in well here, were all a wee bit mad!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Speak for yourself Tim, ime not mad, ime stark raving............
Welcome Pat. Ime sure you will find the forum a fountain of info and will make good use of it.
Been a fantastic help to me.

Andy
Pnoddy

Post by Pnoddy »

Tim Leech wrote:Welcome Pat, you will fit in well here, were all a wee bit mad!
I'm not sure whether I should be offended by that or not?! HA!

Information is what I will need most of all I think!! I've no fear of tackling any problems but I am most definitely NOT a mechanic. I am at best an inquisitive mind with too many tools (I'm a tool buying addict, ebay is like a crack house to me. Lovely image I know!!)

Kieran, I'm from Galway, and I thought mine (which was also my uncles btw) was bad but I think you win that game!! At least though yours is rare. Mine is a very standard model that spent most of its years in London. The engine was replaced from a turbo charged unit to a NA 1.9D out of a Peugeot 205 at some stage. Mileage . . . uknown. Mechanically its not too bad . . . ish! It WAS running before started the dismantling process. The whole back section is a lovely shade of rust (I kicked the back bumper and the nothing bust rust came out) I have a picture somewhere once I get to uploading them. A-pillars are rusted aswell so that both front doors have dropped their top hinges. BUT, I have welded before and have access to a welder. Thats my first area to tackle. (fire extinguishers at the ready!)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

:? Welcome Pat nice to have you on board, we're not all nutcases...I don't think
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This place is superb for info. I'm not convinced about the mad aspect either, though a few people are quite silly.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Pat,

i have a thought for you. Why dont you try and find a reasonably priced Bx of similar age to your uncles and use his as a donor? This will save you a mountain of grief, especially with both A posts having gone and i suspect from what you say the rear end is in a bad way.
Just a thought and it would save you one hell of a lot of time, especially as there is no guarantee of light at the end of the tunnel.

Andy
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Welcome Pat and good luck with the project.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Pnoddy

Post by Pnoddy »

Ya using it as a donor car for another project was mentioned to me as an option alright. But I have to make a slight confession I didn't really choose the BX, it was there so it became my project. I'm hoping to learn and develop a certain amount of "skill" by trying things on the BX. So at some stage I may get a donor car (or more than likely use this one as a donor) but until then I'm going to abuse this one! HA!!!

Thats the drivers door hinge. To quote a friend of mine "bad job"!

Also thanks everyone for the warm welcome
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I would say thats too far gone bud. Wont make the motor worth much more once its done either.
Ok, there are welding experts out there who could do a good job on it but in my book it would have to be a rare or early MK 1 to make the job worth doing.
I think you would be throwing good money after bad and admit its a 'challenge too far'. Is the rest of it any better?

Andy
Pnoddy

Post by Pnoddy »

Ya mothman, I'm inclined to agree with you. It probably is too far gone!! BUT I got the car for nothing and I'm not spending anything on it really. I'm treating it as a learning experience. Learn on something, forgive me for saying it, that I'm not really too bothered about. And its definitely not something I'm doing to make a few bob from selling on.

But I do agree with ya that its almost certainly too far gone! The back section is very bad, took some more pictures of it this evening. I'll try and upload them later. Being a "challenge too far" doesn't dampen my enthusiasm though!! The way I look at it is that money I do spend on it could be spent doing worse things, drugs and loose women . . . what was my point again?! :wink:
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I understand what you are saying Pat but i also got a motor at the end of October last year, for nowt too, but as its a very rare MK 1 19RD it will be worth fixing and that is my intention but i feel you should convince your uncle that his motor is a donor, go get a reasonable, driveable Bx and use his to keep it on the road for many years. Yes, practice welding on the donor, by hell, i would if i could, and get yourself picture perfect for when you really need to be. My RD, is light years less rusty than yours yet i reccon it will cost me a grand to get her sorted. She is on F/B so have a look.

You are going to spend a lot of money and i dont think you will have much to show for it.

Still good luck though.By the way, my name is Andy

Andy
Pnoddy

Post by Pnoddy »

Sorry Andy, I only saw your name after replying.

Maybe thats the best thing to do alright, practice on this pile and in the mean time suss out a driveable BX and then restore THAT one. At least after all the work I would have a usable car to woo the ladies . . . or not!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Proper job bud, my idea zackly.

andy