Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - End of the road

Post by Tim Leech »

Hooray!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The offer to help with the welding's still there if you decide to save it
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mike. I may take you up on that. I've got someone local who's keen to have a bash, but I know it'll be MOT-type stuff, so just patches over the rot. No point doing that. The key thing is to get the ball rolling before the MOT runs out next summer. It's still MOTd and insured!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - End of the road?

Post by Dollywobbler »

Just restin' and, er, freezin' in the moonlight.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Nice photo! I wanted to capture the frost sparkling in the moonlight too, but didn't think it would come out well. Nice to have a dry day!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. There was a limit to how long I was prepared to spend experimenting! Frostbite was setting in.

A major cut in income looks likely for 2013, so sadly this will he/won't he debate is likely to continue.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Revival

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, the forecast gloom hasn't come to pass, thanks to a change of publisher. Work currently looks like it might be ok... (reaches for timber!)

New discs and pads have arrived for the rear of Green Tiger and I'm hoping tomorrow will be dry enough to fit them - though the downside of the work situation looking good is that there's less time for tinkering. Shouldn't take long to do discs and pads though I guess - anything I need to know?

I'm still having to be mindful of the pennies and annoyingly, the 2CV broke its exhaust crossbox, which ate up my Green Tiger battery fund. I'm still umming and ah-ing about taxing it this month too. Maybe another month wouldn't hurt and I can get a few more jobs done. Like the timing belt (40k old, three years). Catsinthewelder has offered me a cheap front caliper, which is appreciated. Of course I pinched the recon caliper on this one for the TXD when I bought that. The slider rubbers are entirely perished so I might get a few miles out of the one fitted, but it's asking for trouble.

But, the key thing is that she will rise again. Speaking of which - her suspension is spot-on. She rises much more quickly and gracefully than the TXD, though there is still an occasional notchiness to the steering.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent, she needs to rattle on, some of the forum stalwarts cars arent around now.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, it's going badly already. Cannot get the disc off. The screw doesn't seem to be there (I can just see a stub about halfway down its hole) so I'm assuming that's no longer holding it. No matter how hard I whack it though, it doesn't want to free itself from the hub. I can't get the back plate off as the nuts have rounded (they're more rust than metal). At least the other side doesn't have a back plate...

Bit stuck.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

heat may help free it off, do you have a blow torch ?
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Using the search suggests that the stud I thought was just for hanging the wheel on IS actually the retaining screw. Gawd knows how I'm going to get that undone. Why am I saving this car again?
mat_fenwick

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Brake FAIL

Post by mat_fenwick »

That wheel locating stub once had a 6 or 7 mm hex on it, but obviously no longer...

I've got a set of these (I was most pleased to find them for sale at the NEC, as two of my set had gone walkabouts in the last 10 years!) which help with rounded off fasteners, but can you cut it off flush with the disk and drill it out? I tend to crack it off when I take the wheels off as a preventative measure, but I guess you're not used to keeping a car for such a long period of time :P

If you REALLY can't get the fixing undone I've once had to resort to cutting a slot in the disk as close to the hub as possible, and cracking the disc with a BFH and a cold chisel.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'll give it a go with my new molegrips tomorrow. Still got the other side to contend with as well. Deep joy. Do the discs normally come off quite easily?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

That stud is the retaining screw, yeah. I ground some flats on the last one and used a spanner. Otherwise sacrifice some old imperial 1/4 drive sockets on them! Or cut and drill. Biggerst hitch you might have is the thin bolt retaining the pads being seized.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Here's why I was doing this job, along with the rusted stud that caused all the problems.

Smacking a small socket over it did the trick rather nicely. Still had a hex head the other side. Thankfully, the small bolt came undone. I'd not long had the one out this side, and the other side seemed ok. Thanks to Barry Annells for being so thorough when he gave this thing a service back in 2010! Copper grease saved a lot of complaining.

Old vs new.

I've since put about 60kg of weight in the boot to try and help them bed in.

She rises again!

One Mr M Fenwick is planning to assist me with the clutch/cambelt mammoth job. We're planning to yank the engine out, so that'll give a chance to attend to a few other tasks no doubt.