Crazy Frenchman repairs BX with old shoe...

BX Tech talk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

They can be fitted in situ - I've done it. there are 2 secrets - cutting the outer steel ring - which is not difficult with a hacksaw blade fed through the slot, and deep freezing the new one to make it go in a bit easier.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have replaced one in situ too and used the same technique. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Easy ? I'm having terrible trouble with this job. Someone has already been tinkering with it, as the bush is already slightly out of the housing and shows signs of bashing. I took about an hour to saw one side of the bush, the blade is fouled by the rubber. I'm going to take the driveshaft off and remouve the whole housing, I think it will be quicker in the end. Another thing worries me : as the bush has been tinkered with, is it in the right way round? Here is the orientation it has in the car :

Can anybody confirm that this is correct ?
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

I seem to recall Jonkw telling me the old manky rubber could be slowly burnt out in some or other manner! Don't know if he has a patent pending on this method :wink:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Easy - no one said it was easy !

I find it is best to cut out the rubber first then invert the hacksaw blade and then cut the metal ring.

As far driving in the new one - its a pig of a job as far as I for one am concerned. I have tried, with a spare housing, using a 2 ton hydraulic press. This proved v. difficult due to the curved faces of the housing.
I then resorted to using a vice. This worked, but was a huge effort and took a long time, in my puny vice anyway.

Most jobs require a compromise between time, cost and effort. So everyone finds their solution.

Your alignment looks about right. I dont think this is critical though.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Jaba wrote:Your alignment looks about right. I dont think this is critical though.
I've seen all manner of different "alignments" in different cars, so I don't think it's critical at all.

And given the utterly awful condition of the one in my 405, I'd say that any position is better than a rotten one!
this might be a signature
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I think I may have one of these rubber bushes on it's way out..

My symptoms are low frequency oscilations on acceleration, can be eliminated by easing off the throttle..

Got to get under and investigate, so may be looking in the shoe bank!!!.

Cheers
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

ed4ferrets wrote:I seem to recall Jonkw telling me the old manky rubber could be slowly burnt out in some or other manner! Don't know if he has a patent pending on this method :wink:
Yes, I tried this, but the stink was obnoxious... Finally got the old bush out with a mini-hacksaw.
Brian wrote:My symptoms are low frequency oscilations on acceleration, can be eliminated by easing off the throttle..
That's a bit like my symptoms. However, the old bush doesn't really look too bad, so I may be doing all this for nothing.
Jaba wrote:As far driving in the new one - its a pig of a job as far as I for one am concerned. I have tried, with a spare housing, using a 2 ton hydraulic press. This proved v. difficult due to the curved faces of the housing.
I then resorted to using a vice. This worked, but was a huge effort and took a long time, in my puny vice anyway.
You've got me worried, there ! All I've got is a big hammer and an old housing as a drift. I don't even have a freezer ! :cry: