MK 2 production dates, one for Tim

Anything about BXs
Mothman

MK 2 production dates, one for Tim

Post by Mothman »

Tim,
i wonder if you could tell me the rough date the MK 2 came into production?
Just found out that 'Gloria' rolled off the line on the 27/3/86, first registered on 08/8/86, and i just wondered how late she was for a 'D' plate MK 1?

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: MK 2 production dates, one for Tim

Post by Tim Leech »

The were launched in the UK in July 1986 so some of the very first Mk2 models were "C" plates, mostly all ending in CBX and being Citroen UK registered, there were some left over Mk1 models which were registered after August 1st so aquired a "D" prefix. Ive not seen any "non CBX" Mk2 cars on a C plates before, probably as the Mk2 was out for less than a month before the yearly reg number change on 01/08/86 so most would have waited or the new models werent available yet.

It looks like Gloria sat around for 5 months before finding a home, I imagine as is normally the case Citroen were offering extra bonus/incentives on "run out models" so she was probably a good buy for somone and probably got a good discount, by that time she was sold all 1.9 diesel models now had power steering so would be a bit of an odd ball car and maybe why it didnt sell, being a auto would help.

I owned a 16TRS auto Mk1 a few years ago with was also a 86 "D" plate aswell a 16TRS Mk2 in cream.

Do you know who the first owner was?.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for that info Tim,
i suspect she did sit around for a while and was sold at a good deal for the buyer.
She had 3 from new owners, the only one on the V5 was a Nigel Griffiths from Havant.
Been to see Malcolm today and its planned she will be ready by February 1st so fingers crossed.
Needs a few more things doing, waxstat busted, glad ive a spare and new disks and pads all round. Having a little welding done too.
Looking forward to getting her.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Good news then, I know of no other Mk1 Diesel autos left, they were available in RD and DTR with the early square port 65bhp engine, but only for about 10 months or so (like the estate, that was RD only) so a rare beastie now.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Great info Tim.
About the square port diesel engine, how long did it continue?
Was it still used until the MK 2 facelift in i think 89 or replaced before this with the oval ports?

Andy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The oval port engine came in with the Mk2 BX - I remember the early Mk2 brochure making a big thing over the increase to 71 bhp!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Your spot on matt, the oval port 71bhp unit came in after the mk2 had been launched, so its possible to get a mk2 65bhp car, our 1987 E plater 19RD had the later engine, so i think the change came in early 87. The easy way is to check is by lifting the bonnet as the air intakes are different.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Also when driven, the extra 6bhp provides an extra 0.5G in acceleration :) Aren't the mk1's slightly lighter though?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The later engine does pick up better, as it is a 10% increase which knocks 3seconds off the 0-60!

They also sound slightly different!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think Timex was hanging round for a few months before sale aswell - Feb 86 registration, but all the date stamped parts I've found are September / October 85.

Would love the correct running gear for Timex, but still can't make up my mind if it's the original engine with a later head and intake or a later engine that had the original ancilliaries, pipework etc. swapped onto it on installation.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Mike,
if Timex had the head replaced, or the complete engine, its possible that it was given a prefacelift engine which would have looked very similar to a MK 1 engine. Same air/fuel filter housing and pipework etc?

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It has the big air box over the head with the separate pipes down the back of the head, so definately a later head.

The original air filter box has been bodged to the air box mentioned above, and both the water manifold casting on the back of the engine block and the fuel pump are date stamped 1985.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Timex has a later engine/head from looking at it as its got the later air intake mated to the earlier airfilter.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I have a spare cylinder head, cant remember if its oval or square ported.
If its square, you are welcome to it Mike. I know it came from an early pre facelift MK 2.

Ile check it out shortly.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just checked, its a square ported head. Also have the exhaust manifold, flat rocker cover and the long rubber air intake pipe.
They are yours if you want them Mike but bloody heavy as ime sure you know.

Andy