Kieran's BX blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
kieran.l
BXpert

Kieran's BX blog

Post by kieran.l »

Got my second BX today :D so decided to start a blog as this car is going to need quite a bit of work. Its a '93 17TZD Turbo. Got it for €350 (about £290). Its been sitting for 7 years with a damaged octopus. Original engine blew its head gasket so the guy replaced it with another 17 but damaged the octopus at the same time. Up to 5 years ago he was still starting it until the battery went flat. He had originally planned to get another and use this one for parts but that didn't happen. So when I saw it for sale (at €500), I kind of impulsively decided to go have a look at it with my dad (being only 2hrs from me and given they're even rarer in this country). The guy was into BXs before and see that it was going to a "good home" and not to someone who hadn't a clue, he accepted €350. (Probably could have got it for less but didn't want to insult the guy). Anyway, the 19RD now has company...

Even though it didn't rise, this recovery truck had no problems

Looks tatty and haven't been able to look under it yet

Rear of door sills not too bad

Same can't be said about the boot floor!

But hinges OK

Pram handle has broken off

There was no start :( We thinks its a dozed starter motor so its been ripped out to be overhauled this week hopefully

Now for the worst VISIBLE bit. Above windscreen

Bottom of same pillar

Hopefully it can be fixed and isn't too far gone...

Also...anyone know what this is?
Under this plastic sheet

Mk1 pops out to say hello :)

Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: Kieran's BX blog

Post by Paul296 »

Good luck with the new purchase - that windscreen surround looks a bit scary! :shock:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The mystery item looks like some kind of alarm (+immobiliser?) If no feed to the starter motor then work checking this out. I have once seen what appeared to be a factor/dealer fit alarm on a BX, as it plugged into existing connections rather than simply spliced in mid wire. Don't think it looked like yours though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Love the MK1
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

mat_fenwick wrote:The mystery item looks like some kind of alarm (+immobiliser?) If no feed to the starter motor then work checking this out. I have once seen what appeared to be a factor/dealer fit alarm on a BX, as it plugged into existing connections rather than simply spliced in mid wire. Don't think it looked like yours though.
The starter was attempting to turn when the key was turned (with a perfect battery), but it was very weak. It made a bit more of an effort when the jump leads were on. I wonder, if this mystery box was an immobilising the car then there would be nothing at all from the starter?
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It could be a bad connection to the starter/solenoid, which is a common problem and well documented on here.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Boot floor looks identical to how my TXD looked before Christmas. Bodged up for now. Will need a proper job doing at some point.
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Tim Leech wrote:It could be a bad connection to the starter/solenoid, which is a common problem and well documented on here.
](*,) Of course, it totally slipped my mind to do a search on here! Leant my lesson now :oops: :lol:

Starter is out now and off for refurb this week so I'll take it from there when its back...
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Managed to start the BX today. Turns out the earth lead was at fault. Attached another lead and earthed it via the back of the starter. Car is ticking over lovely now. It rose up when LHM was topped up, but the octopus is leaking alright. Could only drive in reverse as an engine mount is off and I couldn't get 1st gear. Hoping to get the car on a lift next week...
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well thats a "start" excuse the pun, i runs and rises, thats the first hurdle!