The next social meet up

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

The next social meet up

Post by Dollywobbler »

With Gaydon successfully crossed off the list, I suppose we'd better consider the next one.

The weekend did leave me wondering what the main reason for getting together is. I'm not sure a museum has that much going for it really. The most enjoyable part of it all was chatting with folk either in the car park or the pub.

So, I was wondering if a better format might be to meet somewhere for lunch, then have a short, scenic drive out somewhere. I'm more than willing to organise something if people are interested - perhaps in the Shrewsbury area (would be nice if me and Mat could cut down the mileage for a meet!). I know there's a fair amount of mileage involved for some people, but our cars were rather built with distance in mind. I was wondering about trying to set something up in March.

Thoughts welcome!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: The next social meet up

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My folks live in Clun near Ludlow and that's a lovely area. As those who went on the tech weekend should testify there's some fantastic scenery and roads in Shropshire. I'd probably be up for it and I'd try to combine it with a trip to see my mum and dad :)

PS Make it late March, early April (Easter time?) and there's more chance I'll have my Citroen ready by then ;)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Shropshire is great for me, pub lunch and a drive sounds like a winner, even my partner would be up for that if it's his weekend to be up North.
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I wouldn't discount a museum visit in future (motoring related or otherwise), but I'd certainly go for a 'social meeting' somewhere, shifts etc. permitting.

Possibly several of us could come up with a possible pub etc. to meet at in our local areas, then we could spread the meetings round different parts of the country.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I think 'social' is a brilliant idea. I enjoyed Gaydon, but considering it's primary motivation was a 'meet' sadly, I didn't do much 'meeting'. A pub meal that keeps the emphasis on the social aspect sounds great; how often do you get to meet a bunch of people who don't switch off and stare at their shoes when you start banging on about your wonderful car!? :D
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Great idea Ian. Shropshire is ideal. Could I suggest a slight deviation from your original concept of a social meet. RAF Cosford is not far from Shrewsbury, as it is nr Telford. Perhaps we could have a morning looking at aircraft, have some lunch in a nice pub and then finish the day with a relaxing drive through the stunning scenery of Shropshire.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think offering folk the chance to browse at aircraft is certainly do-able. Those not interested could come straight to the lunch. Likewise anyone who thinks 'well, I've spent enough time at the wheel just getting here' can scarper before the others head off for a drive.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The X rally isnt that far away.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's the other side of the country for me, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Vehicles and work permitting, I'm planning on convoying up to the X Rally with a mate who's just rescued a Xantia 19D LX - one of the first non-sinkers built!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

So an L reg Mike? Mines a 94 early non sinker.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I'd also be up for the idea Ian, i'm well used to traveling long distances too so as long as it's not too far north of Birmingham. A good ol chat and a scenic drive sounds much more my cup of tea, although I do enjoy museums and other cultural institutes I never appreciate them properly when i'm with too many people so I usually get bored. Talking and driving however (even at the same time!) I can do lots of.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Yep Tim, L Reg that the brother of one of our 2CV regulars had owned for 15 years and was going to scrap because he'd bought a Pug 206 rather than replace the spheres. My mate was looking for a Xantia to replace his AX and run alongside his DS and managed to grab it for what the scrap yard had offered. It's a 2 previous owner car with 80k on the clock and absolutely no rust, although I've never seen so much moss and algae on a road legal car. New spheres, cambelt, water pump, brake pads and front discs have now given it a new lease of life, and hopefully a good scrub outside will have it looking as good as it's almost perfect interior.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

80k! and he was going to scrap it! Good save! I do think the early Xantias before they colour coded and rounded everything off look nice, even though my car is the devils spawn.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tom - it took me about an hour to get to Shrewsbury from Gaydon (and that was going the long way around via the M5 rather than the hideousnous of the M6 through Birmingham) so it's not too far west. Especially if we end up closer to Telford. I'll do some plotting.