1.9TD conversion

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

1.9TD conversion

Post by mat_fenwick »

My dad's Xantia seems to be nearing the end of its life - the heater matrix is leaking, clutch is going and a few other niggling faults that he doesn't want to live with or pay to get sorted. The good news is that the 1.9 TD lump is in perfect condition, he's owned it and serviced it well from almost new so the obvious thing to do is put it in my BX.

I plan to use a 1.9D N/A cam as I understand that is similar to a TD 'performance' cam, and keep the BX pump, but have a few other questions before I take the plunge.

Firstly, is it worth it? An extra 2 bhp and 20 odd lb ft seem not too much more, although a bit more torque off boost would be nice. (Having said that though the sudden transition from no torque to bags of it is fun!)

Secondly, does the Xantia exhaust manifold/turbo mate up to the BX exhaust system? And will the inlet manifold mate up easily to the BX intercooler?

Lastly, please under no circumstances bet me that I can't fit a 2.1TD engine in there. :wink: Last time someone said that the end result is a half finished Hyundai Stellar with a Rover V8 up front :evil:
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi The question is would you really want to fit a 2-1 into your car?!! There I didn't say you should did I. :) :) For the extra size, weight and complecation and severe lack of space the 2-1 isnt worth it I suspect. A friend has a 1-9 TD in a BX and it does seem to make a fair amount of difference also the price of things like piston rings,shells etc, are very much cheaper for the 1-9. :D
Cheers.
Geoff.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Mat, I`ve just bought a 1.9TD and if you`re nearby or coming up this way you`re more than welcome to come and have a look if it would help. I would have no idea how to do it myself being honest but you might get an idea of what it will take.
Failing that Stewart or Vanny would be worth speaking to as they`ve both done the conversion themselves.
Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks for the offer, I must admit that I wouldn't mind viewing your collection! If possible I'd like to be driven in one to check it out. It's not going to be a project for this year I think, too much non car stuff for that but I think a definate long term plan.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

You will need a BX inlet manifold and top mount intercooler, PM me if you need them I am sure to have spares, you will also need the alternator mounting bracket from a BX though mine happily runs a later fanless alternator and damped crank pulley ex 405 via a belt some 13mm longer than the stock TZD item, the conversion is well worth doing, you get buckets of torque, especially if the wastegate rod gets shortened a little during fitting :twisted: the resulting car is extremely flexible and smooth, would certainly be an ideal towcar or similar, my favourite thing seems to be out accelerating other cars up steep hills :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I already have the BX intercooler and inlet manifold as I have a TZD turbo at the moment. You've got me convinced that it is a good idea, especially as my cambelt is due a change in 10k time (another few months at the current rate!) and I think my clutch is a bit iffy as well - there is a slight squeak on engagement so it's not too much extra work to do the engine swap (I try and persuade myself!)
Will I need to butcher the standard turbodiesel exhaust system to fit the Xantia exhaust manifold? Or will they mate straight up?
On the Rover V8/Hyundai Stellar hybrid I had to make my own manifold with 2 pipes one side of the steering column, 2 on the other. Never again...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Mine fitted straight on though you might encounter as glitch with the turbo outlet pipe, from memory the Xantia has a two bolt flange while the TZD has a pipe and jubilee clip arrangement, you may also need to swap the flywheel, I did. never mind it means that you can replace the crank oil seal too, and the octopus, clutch, cambelt, uncle tom cobbley and all
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft