WHICH? Car insurance - LATEST

Anything about BXs
Gareth Wales
BXpert

WHICH? Car insurance - LATEST

Post by Gareth Wales »

The April Which? says that Hastings Direct and Marks and Spencer are the Best Buy car insurance for most drivers.
Drivers Under 45 and in Medium risk cars (presumably ours) are also pointed towards on-line quotes available from Swiftcover, Budget and Admiral for low risk areas, and Marks and Spencer, RAC and Halifax for high risk places,
Interestingly (NBStuart) comparison sites suce as confused.com and insuresupermarket don't get quotes from all insurance companies and, don't filter out insurance companies who offer cheap rates but limited cover eg no courtesty cars, any driver etc
But itgs strongest advice is to Keep on Switching each year - guess we already knew that.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Going through the exercise just recently I found that although lower premiums can be found, quite a number are bumping up the excesses 200, 320, even £400.
I went back to my broker/insurer and negotiated a £30 reduction on the renewal price he quoted without increasing the excess. This is the second year we have achieved this so it is always worth a call before renewing!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Post by AdrianO »

This annual headache was worse last year, as I'd picked up 3 points on my licence. (Speeding -- certainly not officer, but I decline to incriminate the driver). And learned what types make up Magistrates Clerks these days. It seemed every company I approached stuck £30 on just for that endorsement. And of course they don't get media advertising for free. In the end I found a company which said it wasn't interested in my 3 points and quoted me happy, all of £150 --

Liverpool Victoria.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I pay £105 a year for my normal Bx's and only £150 for the 16v! Its not what you know its WHO you know :)
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Think I pay around the £500 mark, full comp, 11,000 miles p/a, car garaged, low risk area, im 23. Don't know if this is expensive or not.
2007 Sportka
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

for a low insurance group car like a BX14, £500 is a bleedin' rip off. Granted, being 23 isn't in your favour, but I think you could get that down to a much more realistic £250-£300 with some 'phoning round.

for comparison, on a 405 1.9TD, which is a bigger, heavier and higher insurance group car, I pay £170. 30, full NCB, no points and low risk area.

Edit: and haven't paid more than about £220 for the last 4 years of owning 405 TD's... which would have me only 3 years older than you are now......
Last edited by DavidRutherford on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this might be a signature
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

I thought it seemed on the steep side myself. Its up for renewal in the summer so I'll see what they offer me next time round.
2007 Sportka
tim leech

Insurance.

Post by tim leech »

Hey Owen, make a note of this number and give it a ring, 01159734437, speak to Ian Brackenbury, tell him you know me (tim leech) and see what he quotes you, if Ians not available ring back as he does the best quotes!

Any probs let me know!
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Thank you Tim.
2007 Sportka
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I pay 800quid for a motor trader policy, any car fully comp.

I'm 23.
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

It's getting to the point that I really ought to do something like that...

Who's that with Ian?
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I got it through a broker in Manchester called Quoteline Direct.

Its a brilliant policy as you dont officially need to be a trader and everytime i ring up i speak to one of 2 people everytime. Much better than these internet only companies that i've dealt with in the past.

The only downside is that i cant drive American imports although i can drive things like Jeep Cherokees providing they were sold new in the UK. With the petrol prices i've seen this morning i dont think i'm that bothered!
Over and out from me
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

Ian, the trader policy sounds good, It would of suited me a few years back. What factors determine the policy price?

At present, I have my BX on a Classic Car policy with an agreed value. The only down side is that the mileage is limited to 6K and it must be garaged between 10pm and 6am if the car is within 3 miles of my home address. This costs me just a fraction over £100 per year with Adrian Flux.

The Xantia is insured with Admirlal at a cost of £220 with full business cover, £100 excess. Admiral have been the cheapest for me for several years now!

Both policies are fully comp and I am 32.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

My policy price is based on me as the proposer being able to drive any vehicle on the road (other than the yank tanks). I've got a clean driving record which obviously helped the premium and i've been driving since 1999. I'm assuming it'll keep coming down. Also i can still keep my no claims bonus.

When i first looked into it earlier this year the rules were that you had to be 23 or over (i'd just turned 23) and that was about it.
Over and out from me
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

My 16v is with hsbc, cost me £265 f/c with all the concievable extras except breakdown cover and £100 excess thats was with an outstanding nonfault claim on the wife too! oh, parked on the street as well!although it has a cat1 alarm immob. was quite pleased when i got that through! 11k miles a year too! but then i am 28 been driving since 95, full ncb and clean licence!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk