Three Spokes

Anything about BXs
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Three Spokes

Post by vulgalour »

Looks like I've probably been stood up on the sale of the Maestro, which is bloody annoying because that would've allowed me to get the BX on Wednesday and now I'm going to have to find another solution instead, probably the scrapyard which is not what I wanted to do to the Maestro. Hasn't stopped me thinking about wheels and BXs though and I've discovered that there's a three spoke Saab wheel that shares the same PCD and centre bore as the BX though with a different offset. You'd end up with something a bit like this.

I'd also be tempted to get some tint on too, for the full effect.

So that might be something I do to stripey BX, providing I can get all the other jobs sorted obviously.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Three Spokes

Post by citsncycles »

I'm not generally a big fan of non standard wheels on BX's, but I must admit that looks quite good!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think the BX is of an era to get away with that look.

Shame the Maestro is proving a struggle but fret not - not desperate to get the Green Tiger gone, especially as you've stumped up for half of it already.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Like the wheels, not the tinted bits though!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think the tinted rear lights match the blacked out panel between them, but without it I think they'd look wrong.

More importantly, I've lost count of the number of cars with tinted back lights which I couldn't see light up
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I quite like the look of the Xantia Activa alloys on a BX.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Love the black number plate panel ,not sure about the alloys, there one step up from the teddy bear ones they used to put on polos, I still say a multi spoke design like b.b.s would suit the bx, some VCs had tinted rear lights as standard but don't know if the estates ever got them, white is undoubtedly the best colour for the estate though
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The estates missed out on a lot of the facelift changes that couldn't be swapped over from the saloons wothout modifications, probably because of the cost involved with what was a relatively low production range of models. The back end of the estate only ever got detail changes from the original Mk1's
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

If I were to tint the lights heavily like that I'd be putting ultra-bright LED lights in to compensate, though I do wonder if a clever person could modify the saloon facelift smokes for a proper OEM look to the whole affair. I think I'm pretty set on some scythe/Z type wheel trims for winter and three spokes for summer, but only if the three spokes are flat and chunky like the Saab ones, not roundy soft spoke jobbies which would only really work on a black, top end BX, I think.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Oh, and while I was stood up on the Maestro sale, someone else bought it from me instead so stripey will be heading my way SOON. I am excited.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

LED bulbs are crap. You get a really small, really bright light that's practically invisible from further away than about 5cm.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I did not know this. Saves me giving them a try. Other alternative is Flyeyes film which visually darkens without diminishing the light output too badly, from what I've seen.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

What I always fancied doing was doing away with the BX rear lamps entirely and replacing them with circular LED lamps in a custom-made housing (ie a bit of a plastic in the shape of the original lamp housing). The ones fitted to the backs of lorries these days are exceedingly bright.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Like the wheels, not the tinted bits though!
I'm not a fan of tinted rear windows - particularly where the tint is particularly heavy - looks as though you'd have to drive it like a van - pulling up 'square' to otherwise slanted junctions in order to be able to see oncoming traffic.
More importantly, I've lost count of the number of cars with tinted back lights which I couldn't see light up
Me too.
LED bulbs are crap. You get a really small, really bright light that's practically invisible from further away than about 5cm.
Spot on... and also there are some LED indicators which are 'instantly' at full brightness then 'instantly' off again - that's fine in terms of being noticed but I find the abrupt change in brightness to be uncomfortable or irritating. It's also unnecessary - Ive recently designed (and 'breadboarded') an LED flashing indicator design for bicycles that can potentially be modified to be an add-on for car indicators - and it has simulated 'warm up' and 'cool down' times which are adjustable to avoid irritating others.

A decent diffuser works well to prevent the 'small but blinding' quality that infests current LED lamp unit design - I've used the tiny glass balls used as the reflectors on numberplates to good effect.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

electrokid wrote:LED indicators which are 'instantly' at full brightness then 'instantly' off again - that's fine in terms of being noticed but I find the abrupt change in brightness to be uncomfortable or irritating.
So do I, intensely so. And I thought I was the only one who did...

I find LEDs in general irritating as they glare terribly to me...

Don't get me started on Daylight Running Lights. If I could I'd have every car fitted with the dammed infernal things crushed.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...