BX 19TZS Auto question.

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

BX 19TZS Auto question.

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi can anyone help i have just got a 19tzs auto the problem is at tickover and the car in either A or R the tickover speed is around 750Rpm but if you take the handbrake off then the car will move along at more than a creep with no foot on the throttle is this normal or does something need adjusting.? :?
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Depends what you mean by more than a creep. :? Idle adjust needs to be set so that there is positive creep in A & R. This is not fast but enough to use in crawling traffic & to overcome slight inclines. If you set this too low then if the car doesn't creep, it will 'clonk, as you increase the revs & it engages drive.
750 rpm sounds a slow tickover - are you sure your rev counter is reading correctly as my auto is fine at my tickover of 900 rpm.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Mine tends to do the same; I think it's the nature of the beast as I have had issues with the auto and have had to set the idle and kickdown to exactly factory specs. I would suspect if it didn't do this it would either (as has been suggested) clunk or worse still slip. :shock:
Mine will sit you in the seat from even a dead stop if you floor it.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

thats fine thank you it sounds like i will leave it be. Only asked as i have never owned an auto before.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The slow 'creep' is a positive feature of an auto IMO, especially when reversing, it isn't fast but 'gentle' and helps too in slow moving traffic.

A less positive feature is slightly less brake pad life... apparently. :?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The auto gives agreat drive & although I was a committed manual driver after an earlier experiece with a 3 speed F*rd box, the 4 speed BxGTi is both comfortable & sporty.
My only grumble is that in this infuriating age of speed limits and cameras, the 4th gear does not engage before 42 mph and drops out again at 38 mph. :( Perhaps a French scheme devised to make us tear our hair out at 40 mph. :? :x
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Way2go wrote:The auto gives agreat drive & although I was a committed manual driver after an earlier experiece with a 3 speed F*rd box, the 4 speed BxGTi is both comfortable & sporty.
My only grumble is that in this infuriating age of speed limits and cameras, the 4th gear does not engage before 42 mph and drops out again at 38 mph. :( Perhaps a French scheme devised to make us tear our hair out at 40 mph. :? :x
Those speeds aren't correct. They are a bugger of a thing for "cycling" betwixt 3 & 4 around the 35MPH mark but 42 is a bit on the high side.
I'd suggest you download the auto info off Bob Smiths website and take a close look at the kickdown adjustment. This includes adjustment of the accelerator cable also.
Check the ATF and if it's black, get it out ASAP and refill (2.5 litres) with Dexron 2D or Castrol TransmaxM. Do a couple of flushing type changes, remove the baseplate and clean the filters (be very careful to note where the retaining bolts come from as that is critical) and you might find you have one very smooth and sweet transmission.
We have found that City driving is best done in third gear and 4th (A) only selected once out of the restricted speed zone as it's a pain in the posteria trying to keep a steady speed without risking a speeding fine and in any case, the transmission is usually spending more time in 3rd than 4th so there's no savings to be made on fuel consumption by persevering with the see sawing in & out of gears.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Thanks alan thats very usefull info i will bear that in mind when driving round town with it the oil when hot you pull the dipstick out and it is a sort of gold colour is that right.
:D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Every automatic I`ve owned `creeped` a bit and I soon got used to it and it can be made use of as well.
Fully agree with the comments about box changes as well, it`s like living on a knife edge in known speed camera locations.
Vauxhall apologist.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

sleepy0905 wrote:Thanks alan thats very usefull info i will bear that in mind when driving round town with it the oil when hot you pull the dipstick out and it is a sort of gold colour is that right.
:D
Speaking for the stuff we get out here; it's red, but there are a couple of other apparently compatable oils of different colours.
Black is the one that causes the problems as more often than not, the black is caused due to overheating due to incorrect oil useage.
The one that caused all the problems out here had characteristics that caused it to be operating at 2.5 times its acceptable operating temperature. :shock: :oops: This is why it caused all the problems it did.

Alan S
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AlanS wrote:
Those speeds aren't correct. They are a bugger of a thing for "cycling" betwixt 3 & 4 around the 35MPH mark but 42 is a bit on the high side.
I'd suggest you download the auto info off Bob Smiths website and take a close look at the kickdown adjustment. This includes adjustment of the accelerator cable also.
Check the ATF and if it's black, get it out ASAP and refill (2.5 litres) with Dexron 2D
Alan S
Hi Alan, My box has always changed at those speeds - maybe because it is a GTi :?: I was told before that it was usual. :? I have recently changed the fluid but not inspected the filters and it is a very smooth & positive box with excellent kickdown & demand changedowns too. :D
Do you have a link for the Bob Smith info, I will certainly give it a read?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The TZi and Tri 122 engines we get out here I am led to believe are equal to the GTi you get over there (never imported into Oz) so should be the same.

Check the type of ATF that was put in as they have stuffed more autos out here than you guys could imagine due to this incorrect fluid and a couple of people over there have also been caught out with it; good idea if you post what they reckon they've used.

Bobs site is here:

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Gearbox/

It's an education inside the box with a thing that at first appears to be the size and shape of a walnut sitting on the baseplate that turns out to be a flat square magnet covered in metal filings :shock: same stuff is usually all through the filter also. A common fault is loss of forward drive but if left for a couple of minutes, it then goes again. This has been found to be the muck falling off the filters thereby allowing it to make its return to the pump and restart forward drive, so possibly no point in taking it off until a symptom like that starts to show as it is a bit of a job to do.

Alan S
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If it's also of any interest, my GTI auto changes up at around an indicated 42 mph, and, maybe Ian can confirm, (as I'm not entirely sure) I believe my previous black GTI did too...
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Could be me getting my MPHs and KPHs screwed up, but we're on 60KPH limits and every one I've driven seems to start flippin' in and out just on legal speed.

Alan S
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, don't know what the discrepancy's caused by, as 42mph = 67.5 kph. :?