Suspension Rising Speed

BX Tech talk
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Suspension Rising Speed

Post by Bluey1978 »

The front suspension seems very reluctant to rise to normal height when the engine is started and due to my impatience I put it into a higher suspension mode and it finally rises and then I lower it back down to the normal setting. The back rises fine, a bit judderey but then she is 18 years old.

Is this due to low pressure in the spheres (if so which ones)?

Low LHM level - have checked and it appears to be ok, but that damn little floating valve is hard to see anyway.

Just old age and I should be patient with the old girl.

She is an 88 1.9 RD.

Everything else is fine and once we get to the correct height everything is fine.

I haven't used her for a couple of weeks and took her out at the weekend and noticed she was playing up and wondered if she was letting me know she didn't like being left alone for that period of time LOL.

Will be trying citaerobics later but any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

In the past she has had regular service book servicing every 5000 miles and she has just clocked up 61000k

On a totally different subject - is it possible to purchase new front door window rubbers or adjust the sitting of the glass in the runners - as the glass rises it moves in the slot, so that there is a small gap in the top right corner of the door (and the top left corner of the passenger side), obviously when you are driving this creates a bit of noise and is right next to your ear.

It is possible to shunt it over with your hands as the window is rising, but the door needs to be open and this is a pain to do.

Any ideas on solving this one aswell.....

Thanx :wink:
Previous owner of a 1988 BX19 RD & Previous BX Meteor & Xantia Owner.
1995 Toyota Estima Lucida X Diesel
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Slow to get up in the mornings, sounds like me :) They can take a little while, does the STOP lamp go out quickly? Are the filters in the LHM tank clean? is the pump belt tight? are the linkages under the vehicle lubricated (there is a pivot under the rear of the car that dries up) do you have to move the ride height lever to make the car rise? are you just impatient :) It has nothing to do with spheres though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bluey1978 »

Stop lights go out fairly quickly, its probably me just being impatient - have done some citaerobics and it seems to move a bit more freely now.

LHM levels are fine as are filters, will check that linkage thing though.

The car will move up by itself - I don't have to use the in-car height adjusting lever, belt is new and tight - without being too tight I might add.

Like I said its probably just me leaving her alone for 2 weeks and her getting back at me....
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

They can be slow after a long period idle.

Have you tried lubing the struts as outlined on the BX diy pages?

O
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I use the time constructively, pop the front on the stereo, select station, put seatbelt on, roll cigarette, off we go :) Worth lubing the linkage methinks if only for peace of mind.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

You think the BX is slow - buy a late generation Xantia with Air Con & Pas...

Switch car on..
Go back into house...
Put Kettle on...
Make brew...
Drink Brew...
Make a round of toast..
Butter toast..
Eat toast..
Go back out to car just in time to see it rise.

The BX positivly jumps up in compaison to the Xantia.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Surely a late generation Xantia should have anti-sink though?!
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

DavidRutherford wrote:Surely a late generation Xantia should have anti-sink though?!
It does, but it only stops the car from sinking all the way to the deck, the car sinks about 2 inches or so then locks the anti sink electro valve only works on the rear. The front still sinks too again, not to the deck but enough to take forever and a day to rise - ok in reality it probably takes about 30 seconds for the Xantia to rise - but compared with the BX this is an age.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Marty,

I was having similar problems with my VSX but just before I went on that trip a few weeks back, I decided I'd give it a once over and did some serious bleeding via the rear brakes. On one wheel I filled an old 250 gram coffeee bottle with green froth and didn't it ever make a difference to rising, ride and brakes, all of which I thought were quite normal until then.
Might do it again soon just for the hell of it.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bluey1978 »

Has anyone got any ideas as to how to solve the window problem.

Thanks Guys :wink:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I had a price from the Citroen main dealer for rubbers about 18 months ago which was £8 +vat. Seems expensive and I didn't proceed but still really need one for the drivers door.
I wonder if you can buy this elsewhere in a longer strip or coil at more reasonable cost that you can cut to fit as required.
It would be nice to have the new car "squeegee" effect of these rubbers again.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I suggest you pull the window rubber out from the frame, position it correctly and glue it back in. As there is considerable surface area it'll probably stay there.

A touch of silicon on the seal and the edge of the glass will help as well.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I agree with jeremy i had this problem I just removed the seal a bit then glued it in with some strategically placed silicone sealer blobs it has never moved since that was nearly six years ago. :lol:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bluey1978 »

Thanks for your suggestions, though I believe it to be the glass itself that is moving and was just wondering if new rubbers would sort it out.

Is there anyway to adjust the siting of the glass panel!!.

Thanks