Very ambitious plan...

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: Very ambitious plan...

Post by Paul296 »

kieran.l wrote: More likely, its my parts car :lol:

Grow a pair man! Half a bottle of AutoGlym SRP and she'd be banged to rights! To be honest, I'd hate to see a Mark 1 being broken, but unless you've got very deep pockets and stay well away from SpecSavers, a trip to the weigh-in man to the tune of 'Je ne regrette rien' is probably the most likely outcome? :(
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

There wont be THAT many parts that will be of use to the TZD, Mk1 and Mk2 interior are totally different, as are wings, bonnet, bumpers etc etc, engine, box etc are also more inferior. Struts are the same as are most of the hydraulics but theres plenty of them about.

Unless its really stuffed and rotted out I wouldnt break it!!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Tim Leech wrote: Unless its really stuffed and rotted out I wouldnt break it!!!
I hope you're right Tim. It would be a tragedy if it was scrapped . . . here's hoping, but I bet that car is absolutely bolloxed underneath. :(
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ile bet its going to be difficult to start too, lots of bits missing, including the rad. Mk 1 rads are like hens teeth but a MK 2 one will fit. Also, the rad support behind the slam panel has had it, also difficult to source.
But as Pauls says, its going to cost a lotta dosh to put right.

Andy
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

I've been meaning to update this in the last few weeks but didn't get a chance. I know my uncle cleaned alot of stuff away from around the car and managed to start it too. It wasn't running long cos as Andy spotted it has no rad (its actually been found under an old zinc roof near the car and is bent since an accident in the car years previously). He says it rose :? and I think it moved forward a few feet.
It's in pretty bad shape though. The front passenger door hinges are gone. The locks/handles on the rear doors are seized. The fuel filler lock is seized. The roof is rusting, likely badly because fishing pots were stored on it at some point - not sure how easy a fix that would be. Underneath is most likely very bad too.
I've been meaning to go and take more pics now that things have been cleared from around it but that won't be until next weekend at least as I'm in college 80 miles away and not going home this weekend.
My uncle still has ideas of restoring it, but this car is going to swallow lots of money as has been pointed out. I'm not sure what's going to happen to it but I know he'd prefer for it not to be a parts car (even I'd be hard pressed to convince him to give me parts). It is very unlikely to be broken but more likely it'll just stay there for the rest of its days, with the best intentions of "some day...".
I'll post pics and update, hopefully soon, and keep nagging him and we'll see what happens but I already have too BX money pits :wink:

Heres a pic of it in its better days :)
Last edited by kieran.l on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

If it starts and rises then thats a step in the right direction!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Tim Leech wrote:If it starts and rises then thats a step in the right direction!
A very small step in the overall climb that would be ahead :lol: We'll see...
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I love these dreamers, "yes i plan to restore it", haha. Look where it was left & the condition that it was left in & the amount of time its stood in that spot. Its NEVER going to get restored by the owner, it's got half a chance with you Kieren, but you'll only know the full extent of how much work its going to need by getting it out of its current place & getting it on a 4 post ramp & having a look underneath, that will seal its fate one way or the other.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

kieran.l wrote: Never knew it was so rare Tim, its located in southwest County Cork near Ardgroom. If only it was realised 10 years ago! #-o
Thought that said "County Cork near Amargeddon"!!

I can't see photo's (not your fault kieran - common problem my end) but it was in a barn someone said?
One of your biggest problems may be rats, and as BXs are made of cheese, it's probably just a shell on blocks, the rest now being rat poo!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

There are a few people here willing to do work on a rusty car, but we're unfortunately a much smaller number than the number of cars needing the work.

what it's like underneath will have a lot to do with the surface it's been parked on - I've known cars parked for long periods in the open on a tarmac or concrete surface that are good underneath, while others sheltered but on earth or gravel have completely rotted. The fact it starts, rises and moves means that in theory there's no major mechanical work to be done, but unfortunately the mechanical side of these cars is the easy bit.

I'll add my name to the list of 'I hope it's saved' cries, while at the same time being glad it's too far from both myself and my parents to be temped to offer help!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kieran.l
BXpert

Re: Very ambitious plan...updated

Post by kieran.l »

Believe it or not myself, dad, my uncle and a friend pulled the BX out of the barn today. After the initial pulling and dragging to get it out of the barn we found that it drives too :D Its really rusty because of the fishing pots that were stored on top of it :cry: The car wasn't fully in the barn and the front wings, even though they were exposed to the weather, fared best. Here's some pics and there's a video on Youtube too.

The roof is in a bad state..

Its a little dirty :lol:

:shock: :shock:

The barn is about 100 meters to the right. The car drove down

Thats me 8)

The only door that opens (front passenger) is falling off its hinges so its just as quick to climb out the window!

New resting place, for a bit anyway (not really worried about rust!)

Washed! :P

Does't look all that bad from a distance :wink:

Enjoy :D
http://youtu.be/dbec0drdZJw

So what are the opinions? Restorable? (this is half a serious question and half not...) The roof and door hinges (of the one that opens :lol: ) are shocking and thats just what we can see.
My uncle wants to find another body shell and use this for parts or whole drivetrain, depending how good or bad the other car would be.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well done for getting it started and moved. I think its a gonner but it all depends on how much you want to spend. If money is no option then it could be fixed but its going to take a lot of time and loads of dosh.
If you do decide to break it, i would be very interested in the spare wheel carrier.

Good luck

Andy
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

=D> Well done on getting her out and running, I hope you can save the old girl :)
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Anything can be repaired where there is enough will, time, welding ability & a few quid, so its got half a chance at least now as its now out of hiding. It would be great to see another MK1 saved, the worst part is the roof, that looks rather nasty & depends how deep the rust is, if its just surface it can be sorted & re-painted. The fuel tank panel looks nasty as well, the underneath looks in better condition than the outside of the car? I look forward to seeing what you decide to do & if you plan a resto it would be great if you could take piccies as you go through things etc....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Pull the front wings off, the washer bottles out, the rear bumper off and have a good scout around the sills inside and out for rust. Look at the where the rear subframe mounts to the shell, and around the sides of the fuel tank. Check where the front subframe mounts to it for rust too. On your pics the underside actually looks quite good from what I could see.

If that lot aren't terminal (some rust is expected, but if it's soft and full of holes you have to think carefully) I'd consider it. A roof skin isn't a big deal, and neither are doors (mk2 will fit).
I've been doing the same on a GT in the same colour. Not as rusty granted, but I've still had to pretty much rebuild the A-pillars.

Seems to run quite sweetly.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)