OK, maybe a hard topic to consider!

Anything about BXs
Mothman

OK, maybe a hard topic to consider!

Post by Mothman »

There have obviously been a few problems with the forum of late.

Before i say anything more, i thank you all involved with the BXC. Its something i rely on for info, help and perhaps the best comeraderie i have ever exprienced online.[there's beer in me now so appoligies if i go wrong].

I cannot think of any other forum that has been so good at helping or offering such good advice on a motor to which i am so gripped, dedicated and love.

Perhaps this is the time that the forum admin should admit that perhaps this is the time that we should spend a little money on sorting the forum servers and getting it right by spending a little money by helping the forum administrators.

Ime sure that to continue such a good forum, i know no better than that members wouldnt mind contributing a small amount to help this.

I think that a proper discussion should ensue and i hope with the right outcome.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: OK, maybe a hard topic to consider!

Post by Dollywobbler »

I also heap many thanks on the people who make BXC and FCF happen, but do also wonder if we need to move to a managed server. We have people willing to chuck money in a pot, and it would remove some stress from those who battle to keep things running. I accept that even managed servers can experience downtime, but it shouldn't cost us the earth.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

:wink: We have a forum admin fund that many of us contribute to:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This didn't become the best forum on the planet by accident, I'm sure our recent problems will be sorted soon as always and any changes required will be forthcoming as usual.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Defender110 wrote::wink: We have a forum admin fund that many of us contribute to:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This didn't become the best forum on the planet by accident, I'm sure our recent problems will be sorted soon as always and any changes required will be forthcoming as usual.

I hope so bud as its my fave forum.

Real great guys run it and contribute to it.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would imagine a couple more admin fund volunteer contributors would be very welcome :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

With a theoretical £600+ in the bank, i don't think money has anything to do with the current problems.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well, it they need more dosh, ime more than happy to oblige.

Andy
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

This weekend another forum/game I am involved with based on a server in the Netherlands is also offline. The internet is only as good as the servers which I think people tend to forget.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I agree that if there's money needed for an upgrade etc. that may not be covered by the funds, there's enough of us willing to pitch in and help! Although the majority of us probably wouldn't understand the answer (myself included) it may be useful to know if the recent issues have been down to hardware, software or something outside or our control.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Dont rush into things fellas I dont think this is an isolated problem to do with money. Couple of places I frequent are having sever issues this weekend.

Was watching an article on the news about the increased cyber warfare going on so it may well be some interferance with our servers fom one these major hacking sessions. Stuff I dont think many of us would understand as we just see the inconvieniance.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear All,
Firstly, I too would like very very much thank " ALL " of the very kind folks " behind the scenes " administrating the forum ^^bx> =D> They work extremely hard, all the time 24-7 :wink:
Secondly, personally I didn,t read this " thread " asking for people to contribute to the forum, so my apologies for that :oops:
Thirdly, I am more than ever, pleased to put my name " into the pot " so to speak :D
I am unsure how to do myself, however Shari assures me that she would be able to do this for me :wink: :D
Lastly, we can pay, but it would have to be on Wednesday next week :wink:
Many Thanks indeed,
Vince.
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've been away for the last week, with limited internet access so have only been vaguely aware of the problems this week. I don't think anyone would claim that the situation is ideal, but it's not a case of money shortage. The only thing I know at this stage is that following the recent upgrade by O2 (which in itself caused downtime) is the following from Jim "It seems since the upgrade the IP address changes so often that his Dynamic DNS provider can't keep up with it"

Whether the best solution is to resolve these problems and continue as we are but more reliably, or look at hosting elsewhere; I don't know. I'll point Xac in the direction of this thread and get his thoughts.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
xac
Forgetful Forum Host

Post by xac »

Hi guys,
Firstly, thank you all so much for your words of support.
The issue isn't with our equipment.
Since the upgrade the external IP (address of the server's internet connection) has been changing too frequently at times, ie less than 5 minutes.
Now, when it changes, the software on the server informs the Domain Name Servers that look after converting http://www.bxclub.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to the IP address updating them with the new address so you can still find it.
In order to stop malicious attacks on the DNS, if there isn't 5 minutes between updates then a block is put on the update software which has to be manually cleared, something which can't be done remotely because I've no way of knowing what the server's external IP has changed to.
I've tried several setting changes with O2's "assistance" (hence the outage on Friday), bought a new router to exclude that from the equation, and this morning requested a static IP (again, apologies for the outage this morning as O2's static IP wasn't being sent to the router).
I will be contacting their network team tomorrow, if they aren't able to fill me with confidence then I'll be taking my business elsewhere, however up until now O2 have been briliant when it comes to support, going as far as contacting me on behalf of other users who've had problems connecting as O2 customers themselves, and of course they give us that all important 1Mbps upstream.
As we host the server ourselves, we have direct access to it, we have the resources to run a test server so that any updates applied don't break the forums.
Compare that with Web Fusion where I believe we were paying £45 a month, they updated their system causing the forums to falter regularly (SQL timeouts etc), denied they'd made any changes, then when I proved they had and told them what they needed to do to resolve the issue they refused point blank to do anything about it.
In fact I can't think of any web hosting company that I've had to deal with that hasn't been an absolute PITA, and that's even where the customer is paying thousands a year!
This is a glitch, we'll get past it one way or another :)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Cheers Xac. Carry on with the good work. =D>
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Xac. I think my personal frustration just came because I could really have done with the forum's help on the one day it broke! I guess that's just sod's law. Thanks for your efforts.