Operation Blue Streak New Home Required, SOLD

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Operation Blue Streak New Home Required, SOLD

Post by Tim Leech »

Most of you know me, ive been around this forum for about 8 years now, and have owned about 30+ BX's of different guises since 1996. I tend do go for those that people usually avoid, Petrol Automatics, 1.6 carbs, and a couple of 1.4 suitcased engined (never been brave enough for a 4x4 though) but never an estate. I guess its down to taste, and the fact ive never needed an estate car really and that I think the BX hatch is a nice looking car and the estate much less so.

I bought the well known "green hornet" a few years back to save it being scrapped but passed it on 3 weeks later but now have returned to the fold with a 1986 BX 19TRS estate, which is probably one of the earliest surving Mk2 models left, its made rarer being a 1.9 petrol, with the few remaining example being diesel powered.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So whats to become of her? well if you read the above topic you will know she is residing in Tom St James's garage in yeovil, starts up and moves back wards and forwards but has no suspension, brakes or power steering. The plan was to return her back to the road after 14 years dormant and I did hope as shes done 14 miles since the last mot and had been in a dry garage (maybe foolishly) that with some new spheres, a service, cambelt and a tyre or two would be all thats required to see her ship shape for the Scottish Challenge......

The radiator has rotted out but thats an easy fix as are the spheres etc, theres no bodywork required altough I may let my Dent man look round it and the interior could do with a good shampoo!

So am I mad, out of my depth or should I admit defeat and get it scrapped?....
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Operation Blue Streak aka "in a state with an estate"

Post by Dollywobbler »

Define mad. Says the person who dragged Timex out of a garage and got it (largely) roadworthy.

Will it absorb money? I imagine so. These things do. Will it be financially rewarding? Ha ha ha haaa ha ha haaaaa. Is it worth saving? Easily. I'm even wondering if I could cope with a non-diesel BX...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ian imagine my GT but as an estate car and thats kinda what this is!

The monetry side of things isnt a huge worry, thats not saying ive plenty to throw at it, but its the cost of the repipe and getting it done and how which worries me.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Scrapping is an option??! :shock:

If it's not rotten through and as well-preserved as it is, why the hell would you want to scrap it?!

Rust is the killer of BXs in my opinion. They're pretty good at resisting it, but if they get to a certain point, they don't stop!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It is an option if the cost of getting it repiped and then towed home is horrendous, it is after all a BX 1.9 petrol estate which is to anyone else but me and a few others on here worthless and thirsty, im happy to sink more into it than its true value but if the repipe and recovery is going to cost silly money I just cant afford it.

Its just the unknown of whats actually let go underneath and that its 3 hours drive away...
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Isn't Dominic Weston? and his dad's garage down that way Tim? Don't scrap it mate, you'll regret it. If funds aren't immediately available to have the work done, just put it to one side until funds are forthcoming. All the best with it and I hope to see it a show sometime. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Nice motor bud, hope you can sort it. Do you have an idea how much it would cost to repipe?
Probably be better though if you could go fetch it on a trailer or low loader and get it sorted closer to home.
I happen to go past Yeovil at least 3 times a year on my way to Looe but would really like to tow an empty trailer all that distance but could probably fit a rad for you but ime not there till July.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Could a relay system work? If someone could get it to me I could trailer it up north a bit and meet someone else with a trailer? Or just fix it at my garage come to think of it!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers for all the offers guys, it's very kind.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

It's good to have friends in low places!! :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

I'm based in Bristol and would be happy to nip over and have a look at it for you if I'm passing. Alternatively I have a friend with a Discovery who is generally happy to haul rusting deathtraps around the place for the cost of fuel and a McDonald's - where are you based?

I have access to a really nice trailer (beavertail, we might even get a flat BX on it without damage) for £30/day.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers for that, in 160 miles away though!
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Hmm, I guess you'll have the same problem with any method of transport short of mending it and driving it...
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Indeed, if I can at least get it at least LHM tight so she rises up without wetting herself (Mike Sims has very kindly offered to take a look at it if he can) then I can arrange to get it transported up here and see whats the chepeat method.

Shiply came back about £150 which is quite reasonable I guess but thats £150 I dont have right now!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Stop off / changeover point ,coffee and toilets available in M.K. if any help,

Sorry I cant be of more use
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!