Ride quality - what to expect from a BX?

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Ride qualtiy - what to expect from a BX?

Post by Tim Leech »

They are interchangeable, when I replaced the ones on the 19TZI i fitted normal ones as I wanted a floaty ride! When I fit new ones to the 19TRS I will do the same as theres no point having a non wafty BX!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Would fitting spheres from a GS, CX or DS make much difference to the ride if possible ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

No idea, but it is true that softer BX spheres do the job. The Green Tiger was softer than the TXD, and it wasn't like handling seemed to suffer. Might go for 'comfort' spheres on the TZD at some point, but it's a long way down the To Do list!
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

The spheres on Stripey are almost as comfortable as those on the Princess... almost. The big difference is that it feels much more nimble and less wallowy, particularly at speed, so I imagine other sportier BXs are a very satisfying combination of comfort and precision.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

The TZD is a hooligan*. Every time I go for a more-than-local drive, I sternly tell myself that I'm going to Be Good and drive sedately to save diesel. About five minutes after getting onto the motorway, unless there's speed cameras I'm tearing along at 80-85 :oops: (75-um-very-ish once speedo wobble has been deducted). It's just rude not to :D

*Yes, it's the car's fault. It just shouldn't be so much damn fun to drive.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Same here, i seem to hammer the TZD a lot harder than the n/a diesel Estate but then i seem to hammer all my diesels quite hard.

Andy
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Caffiend wrote:The TZD is a hooligan*. Every time I go for a more-than-local drive, I sternly tell myself that I'm going to Be Good and drive sedately to save diesel. About five minutes after getting onto the motorway, unless there's speed cameras I'm tearing along at 80-85 :oops: (75-um-very-ish once speedo wobble has been deducted). It's just rude not to :D

*Yes, it's the car's fault. It just shouldn't be so much damn fun to drive.
Just wait until you have a go in a valver. >>^
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Mmm...i took my tzd turbo for a run today after putting it all back together, after driving a n/a 1.9 for a few months i can quite agree with the grin factor of a t/d and it drives and feels a lot "tighter" than the n/a. Whilst i prefer the fuel economy and softer ride of the n/a the t/d will be my preference, even tho still not a fast car by any standards i still enjoy the rush of the turbo motor and the cloud of soot it leaves behind. What my tgd needs is a t/d motor id be happy with that.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I drive the TZD and the TGD exactly the same. Under those conditions here are the comprehensive test results;

TZD = goes fast

TGD = doesn't go fast

Although the fitting of illuminated front window switches to the TGD does seem to have improved general all round performance and fuel consumption. This might be subjective though? :shock:
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I usually take it steady in the TXD, saves on wearing ear defenders as the noise remains at an acceptable level & fuel economy at 3000 revs in top is nearly 60mpg. But an italian tune up now & again clears the exhaust nicely :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Mothman wrote:Same here, i seem to hammer the TZD a lot harder than the n/a diesel Estate but then i seem to hammer all my diesels quite hard.

Andy

You have to :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Melchior
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Melchior »

Tim Leech wrote:
Kitch wrote:I can echo what others have said. Best riding BX I've driven is my dad's GT and that has:

Decent arm bearings
Decent front struts
Decent wishbones
Fresh spheres
Michelin Energy tyres

I wouldn't say the difference with tyres is whether they're budget or not. But yes, some do ride badly and some do ride well.

I agree Kitch, my GT ride is streets ahead of my other 3, although it runs newish Firestone Tyres.
Tim that is a great little shopping list, thanks. Spheres are supposedly fresh, one by the previous owner in Oct/Nov last year IIRC. Goodness knows about the rest of the items though.

Tyres are not amazing; the front two don't match :oops: and are of unknown age but appear in good condition.

I've been reading a bit about strut rebuilding and think my fronts, although not awful, are a little sticky. When dropping from normal to low height, she mostly drops smoothly but there are a couple of sticking points.
Dutch 1991 BX 8v GTi. 280,000km
APK (Dutch MOT) failed in May 2013, sold to a member of the Dutch Citroen forum. His thread can be found here: http://www.citroen-forum.nl/forums/viewthread/221870/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Re: Ride quality - what to expect from a BX?

Post by maxgreenwood »

i got Pleiades to recon some front struts (from some of their stock) and it was the most marked difference i've ever experienced in improving the ride of a BX, it really gets that dynamic floaty / rolly old citroen ride you imagine you should have. This is on 16 saloon spheres, so some of the softest. Anyway i think with even moderate wear the BX struts can be sticky at normal ride height and can interfere with the suppleness of the whole system. I've experienced that on other BXs.
Signs on mine after strut replacement were the whole car sinking evenly after 24 hours instead of just the back, and the whole car rising evenly into the air when getting out after driving - the way you see the DS do in old French movies!

To achieve this with worn struts i recommend the sucking up of fresh LHM up the strut return pipes trick - a few cycles - to clear out the old dirty sediment filled LHM which can collect that side of the struts.

What you want is the struts moving very freely even with light-medium hand pressure on your bonnet / small imperfections in the road surface. Then tightness of the rest of the setup enables road undulations to be transmitted most efficiently to the sphere as well, meaning less crashy noises. New tight ball joints make a difference.

Another factor i've heard about and suspected with my old TZD estate but never confirmed as we couldn't get at it to replace was a sticky front height corrector - the idea being that there are very small 'damper' holes in the construction of the LHM flow channels in there which can become clogged with sediment, and when i got my 1st BX the LHM was black!
Be wary with Hydraflush as alot of garages warn this can actually dislodge this stuff from the rest of the system, clogging up narrow points like this in the system causing more trouble than before you started! i'd work with fresh LHM before going there.

The BX dash construction can also detract alot from perceived decent ride quality if bits are loose.

I would recommend before recon struts:
1. flush out the struts with new LHM through the return pipes - details somewhere on this site
2. if LHM in tank is murky or dirty, replace with fresh
3. a little 3 in 1 oil onto the front strut chrome shaft through the hole there just under the front spheres (ideally after cleaning the shaft with WD40 and clean rags by putting car into 'high' and lifting up the plastic gaitor over the strut under the front wheel arches)

this should make your struts floaty for a while so you can get to feel a difference in the system - how long will depend on how worn they are/how clean your LHM is. If there is still a problem, check rear arm bearings - sticky ones (on their way out) really interfere with the front ride quality.

this is the joy of getting to know how BXs should drive/ride! :)
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

Tend to drive the GTi alot more sedately than I did the TZD. Can't afford to drive it any other way. Fun driving is for special occasions :D
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Great advice there Max.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.