Operation Blue Streak New Home Required, SOLD

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Operation Blue Streak aka "in a state with an estate"

Post by Tim Leech »

One of the front to rear pipes has given way over the rear subframe but Mike Sims confirms that the rest are all shagged so i will be on the hunt for new ones (I ave some somewhere but not sure where they are).

Thanks to Mike and Tom so far for all there help.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Right, been and fetched my pipes from the lock up in my lunch hour, there are four of them, all very long and quite bendy in genuine citroen bags.

Three of them have part numbers

N65954
N65956
N65950

Ive rang my local useless Citroen dealer who say the part numbers dont exist....
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

... probably because those sound like GSF part numbers, not citroen ones :)
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ahh! thats why then lol!

Ive rang them and they also say they have a new system and this part number does not exist! :roll: FFS!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Looking here it seems im in luck for the brake pipes at least! N65950/6

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/FORUM/viewtopic ... lit=N65950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets hope the other two are the suspension pipes! as they are also very long and have similar part numbers I cant see any reason why they wont be....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Two down and two to go, that's quite a good stroke of luck Tim, makes getting the estate sorted much easier if buying/tracking down pipes isn't necessary.

I'm sure Mike will be along to say what the shape of things are, but from my (albeit inexperienced) perspective, it looks quite solid underneath, with a seam or two needing attention and a few bits of surface rust.

It was great to spend some time with Mike, what an interesting chap! Makes everything techincal look incredibly easy, "oh look - let's just drop the rear subframe shall we?" Half an hour later... It is dropped.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I bought them about 6 years ago for £25 thinking the would be useful, stuck them in the lock up and then buried them, lets hope they do the job as I aim to come down sunday with the radiator, LHM and these pipes...
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I think i'm working Sunday, i'll check tomorrow. If so you could come and collect the keys from me at work (it's 10 mins away from garage) and then me meet you there, I finish at half 4 anyway. Or I could leave keys in the car somewhere discreet and leave the garage unlocked, a friend of ours lives in the bungalows adjacent so they could keep an eye out for us.

I have a sphere tool in the GT's garage, and two spare spheres (front, unknown pressure etc) if they're any use to you?

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers Tom, I know the ones on the TRS are flat so it would be useful until I can afford new ones. Obviously aslong as this is ok with Mike for Sunday, it may be easier for me to pick him up on the way and drop him off on the way back (if you can let me know Mike)
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Sure, they came free with the GT and are quite old, but even if they're a stop gap then they'd be more use than just sitting in my shed getting older! I think they're 2006 ones? I'm sure someone technical could ascertain what pressure etc they are from any markings on them.

Let me know RE logistics and keys etc.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sunday should be fine for me - I was thinking of going to the Retro Rides meet at Weston-Super-Mud, but they'll have other meetings there.

As regards spheres, damn, bad timing! I could have brought them up and got them checked at Tony Weston's, as they have the kit to test and recharge spheres.

As for the car, as mentioned there's a high pressure leak from one of the front to rear pipes where they pass over the top of the subframe right where clearance is tightest. While I cannot see which pipe has failed, all 4 are crusty in this area, but as far as I can see the others at the back look good. So far we've removed the boot carpet, the back seat (to avoid damaging the back doors on the garage walls), and the rear door inner sill trims, dropped the (new) exhaust, disconnected the height corrector rod, unbolted the subframe (currently on a pair of jacks) and because I initially thought we had to drop the tank, disconnected the sender and fuel lines.

There was a bit of a smell of petrol, which may be the filler - the hose clip that clamps the filler to the tank had rotted through.

Bodily this motor's amazing, there's a bit of light corrosion on a couple of seams on the rear cross member both above and below, a little more under the boot carpet and that's about it! Both the bungs in the back of the sills are missing though, which will need replacing before the sills and C posts end up like the drivers side of Timex.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ok guys, ill see you Sunday, mike I will pick you up enroute, let me know the address and what times best for you, Tom if you could pm me the address please love.

Those spheres will be great for now thanks.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Pm sent!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Bleeding weather, if the chaps down that way can let me know if its ok near you, we woke up to snow this morning which has since melted into slush!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Lots of rain and a few puddles last night, but that's all for me.

I've heard that it was worse further south, but they were talking Devon / Cornwall, not Somerset, so fingers crossed [-o<
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD