Insurance

Anything about BXs
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Insurance

Post by vulgalour »

Presently, I'm insured with Admiral on a 4,000 mile limited policy, no commuting, car parked on the drive and no mods on the car. It is costing me about £115 a month for this and, before you all have a heart attack from that figure, this is also the cheapest insurance I could get from the many, many insurers out there. It's also less than an unmodified Mk2 Polo or similar age/size hatchback. I've been driving for about 2 years and will have (all being well) 2 years NCB in a few weeks. I'm also over 30, single and male living in the lowest risk post code for cars.

What's amazing is that I tick many of the boxes for cheap insurance and yet my insurance is one of the most expensive out there for someone of my age and experience. Some things make a peculiar difference which is why the BX is valued (not agreed value) at £1000 to bring the insurance down. Weirdly, some insurers (not Admiral) want to charge me an extra couple of hundred pounds a year for my first name, if I change only my name on the policy and leave all the other details the same then some insurers will reduce my policy by as much as £300!

Last renewal I attempted to get insurance with Hastings, Adrian Flux, Chris Knott, Peter James, Footman James and Lancaster. They all wanted at least 2 years NCB and 2 years driving experience which I didn't have at the time. Most classic insurers don't offer a good policy - the Princess, for example, was covered 24/7 but if I needed to make a claim outside of my garage between the hours of 10pm and 8am they wouldn't pay out and I'd be liable for costs - and want a second car to be a modern. Many classic insurers won't insure me if the car isn't kept in a garage, which I don't have.

So, since my renewal is coming up very soon, who would you recommend I add to my list to try out?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Insurance

Post by Tim Leech »

George my mate found tesco to be the cheapest and he was 20 at the time.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Could you rent a council garage ( as I have done )? I pay £8 a week for the privilege. Bizarre on the name issue though ( not your name, I hasten to add)!
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Footman James are now insuring 17-24 year olds again, so worth a try. There are quite a lot of conditions (access to a second vehicle, being in relevant clubs etc).
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Dunno if they'll help in your case, but the only company not on your list that I've used in recent years is Sureterm. They were happy to insure My Lomax 223 for commuting, and although it was a limited mileage policy (7000 miles), it was over twice the mileage anyone else would insure me for, and also one of the cheaper premiums. They actually apologised for it being nearly £150 a year because of the high mileage allowance!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm with Sure Term, £185pa on the valver limited to 3,000 miles and i live on the border of a rather rough estate.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Lancaster Insurance and Sure Term direct are trading names of the same parent company.

Every renewal time, I have a fun and interesting game, playing them off against one another on prices.

They are, however the cheapest companies I've dealt with re classic policies. The XM for instance, was automatically put on a classic policy without me having to specifically ask for it.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Aviva are doing a scheme whereby you download an APP & if you drive nicely, you can get various discounts depending upon your nice driving rating, might be worth a try, if nothing else for a giggle if the quote is rather daft? I'm insured with them, but i've got a multi-car policy with my wife & a shedload of NCB & i'm in my 40's, so its quite cheap at £18p/m for 12000 miles fully comp for the BX.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Renting a Council garage doesn't help as the garage needs to be at my home address, or at least nearby, to be viable. There's also very few Council garages, let alone any available for rent, sadly. I could lie, but that sort of thing usually bites me in the arse in pretty short order.

Sureterm wouldn't insure me AT ALL, but Lancaster said they would with the required experience, novel that they're the same company. Most of the affordable companies are underwritten by Sabre. I do not trust Sabre. Any company that tells you that you're insured, sends you papers and then decides to cancel the insurance after taking payment and only choosing to inform you after the fact leaving you unwittingly driving an uninsured car are bastards so I will not trade with them if I can help it. I'm also not keen on Performance Direct and their subsidiaries as they very nearly saw my Princess scrapped after she had a minor altercation with a van and they too did a spectacular U-turn that meant I couldn't purchase the donor vehicle to exact full repairs for a sensible price.

So yes... insurance companies are arseholes and so far the only one to treat me well is Admiral, hence the request for advice. I'm understandably concerned about renewal and fully expect it to go tits up, probably by my NCB getting lost or something.
Phil Peters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Phil Peters »

Bishop Calway might be worth a phone call. I've had policies with them for over 10 years now and found them to be very competitive, especially back when I had a lot less years driving and NCBs under my belt.

Cheers,

Phil

1992 BX19 TGD (aka Maurice), N/A diesel, silver with Zenith trim.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Phil Peters wrote:Bishop Calway might be worth a phone call. I've had policies with them for over 10 years now and found them to be very competitive, especially back when I had a lot less years driving and NCBs under my belt.

Cheers,

Phil
That's a good call actually. I've got younger friends who've found them very good.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I've never heard of them before, they are therefore added to my list to try out.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

In my student days, I always found Endsleigh to be competitive. That was 24 yrs ago though!
Mark Smith

puddock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by puddock »

I'm insured through Tesco insurance with1years no claims and its about 400 per year. You get a significant discount with a clubcard and I saved around another £100 by adding Rohan as a named driver, he did the same with his policy for the XM, even though I've only been driving for about 5 years adding me as a named driver reduced his fee too. Everywhere else were charging £7/800+ for me on the BX.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

I'm 21 with 3 years no claims, I've got mum and dad as named drivers on my policy and a 5000 mile limit and it's cost me £750 with Admiral this year. But that is down £200 or so from what I paid for my 1.2 Clio last year even though I've got a bigger engine and the car has turbo written all over it :lol:
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine