Tom Tom Sat Nav Repair

Anything about BXs
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Tom Tom Sat Nav Repair

Post by Stuarted »

(Again, not sure if this is the best forum - it's not even BX related - but anyway ...)

Tom Tom got flooded same time as car and now appears totally dead. Have tried charging up, re-setting etc. Is as dead as a Python parrot.

There are several places offering sat nav repairs (both tomTom specific and sat nav in general) but I have no way of knowing which, if any, are any good, which are silly expensive and which are useless or cowboys or crooks.

Has anyone got any experience of such places, please, and any recommendations or warnings or suggestions of forums where I might get some informed advice?
mat_fenwick

Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav Repair

Post by mat_fenwick »

Price wise, what are they asking, and how old is the unit? The reason I ask is that it may be possible to get a current model, with the improvements that entails for little more, although it pains me to suggest NOT repairing something! I would guess that if it's been a while since the immersion, electrolytic corrosion would make a repair very difficult.

EDIT - just done a spot of Googling and this bunch do a free assessment, so it would seem you have nothing to lose.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Get a mobile smart phone, use Google navigation for free, hook it up to car stereo with a phono leads and you can have sat nav through your car speakers.

As soon as I realised all this was possible, I haven't touched the sat nav. The Google directions are better too!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the first thing you should have done was get it disconnected from any power supply, ( ciggy lighter socket and internal battery,

probably on the internet how to dismantle it to get at the insides

all the while it has current going through its circuits you risk electronic failure,

next step would have been dry it out with a hair drier

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Kitch wrote:Get a mobile smart phone, use Google navigation for free, hook it up to car stereo with a phono leads and you can have sat nav through your car speakers.

As soon as I realised all this was possible, I haven't touched the sat nav. The Google directions are better too!
Trouble with doing it like that is that my phone only bloody rings, the satnav swears at me and calls me a prat or worse if i make a wrong turn and screams like a banshee when i get close to a camera. Satnav much more fun to use.

Andy
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If SatNav's are anything like mobile phones, an easy way to rescue it is to take it fully apart, then use plenty of anti-static spray on either a cloth or cotton buds & go everything especially circuit board tracks etc... That technique has revived a few phones that i've tried it on, bods at work were disbelieving until one of them bought in a phone that had ended up in the bath & i got it to work :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Mothman wrote:
Kitch wrote:Get a mobile smart phone, use Google navigation for free, hook it up to car stereo with a phono leads and you can have sat nav through your car speakers.

Trouble with doing it like that is that my phone only bloody rings, the satnav swears at me and calls me a prat or worse if i make a wrong turn and screams like a banshee when i get close to a camera. Satnav much more fun to use.

Andy
i would think the way these ANDROID/smart phones are you could have then hurl all kind of abusive words at you in sat nav mode

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

citronut wrote:
Mothman wrote:

Andy
i would think the way these ANDROID/smart phones are you could have then hurl all kind of abusive words at you in sat nav mode

regards malcolm
You can :lol:

You can rig them up as your radio, sat nav, MP3 player or handsfree.....head units and sat nav units in cars is a dead technology walking......if they walked.

In the 16v, I've got an original head unit off Mike E, which I'm going to fit. I won't wire it up though, I'll wire up a little amp in the dashboard and have a connector hidden somewhere for a phone/iPad/similar.

Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

I don't do smart phones, but I am a big believer in stand-alone units like a Tom tom.

What always seems a stupid ripoff is ANY built-in sat-nav system. Ludicrously over-priced when offered as an option (at least 10x the cost [and usually not as good as] a stand-alone device, expensive (sometimes impossible) to update and expensive or impossible to repair or upgrade.

Unfortunately on many cars this is now included as standard. I wish I could opt to go without and get £1,000 off the cost of the car!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The DS3 had a built in factory 'nav' system. It was in a word, CRAP!! I just use 'Nav- Free' on my iPhone, which as the name suggests is completely free.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

mds141 wrote: ... 'Nav- Free' on my iPhone, which as the name suggests is completely free.
Yup, but the 'phone ain't.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Not free, but on a good monthly contract. The 'free' apps that are available, are every bit as good as using a stand alone unit, such as Tom-Tom, Garmin et al.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

my contract Galaxy S2 has built in free full GPS and has googly maps, works very well apart from it drinks the battery,

we have last year bought a new TOM TOM from Argoooos, its called the TOM TOM start, it is very easy to use and very very good clear concise visual and audible instructions, cost £99 quid

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Stuarted wrote:
mds141 wrote: ... 'Nav- Free' on my iPhone, which as the name suggests is completely free.
Yup, but the 'phone ain't.
Of course not, but if you're going to buy a phone anyway (as 99% of people do) then having one that can do pretty much anything you can ask of it is a bonus :lol:

Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Thanks, but I have a mobile 'phone and it works fine. It sends and receives calls well and clearly even in pooor reception areas and its battery lasts a week or several on standy - months if I use the fat battery. Every shop and every telephone salesman I have asked, assures me that no "modern" 'phone will make or receive calls any better or more clearly and the battery life will be a tiny fraction of what I get at present.

My mobile 'phone costs me, at most, just a few pence per month. Usually nothing at all.

And at home I have a real, proper, landline telephone. Calls from that are usually free.