No more polishing the TRD

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

No more polishing the TRD

Post by toddao »

I just posted this first picture on someone else's gallery thread so rather than clutter up someone else's flow and, in response to some enquiries.. here's a small retrospective and some details.

I'm actually breaking it. Noooo! Say the faithful. I wasn't actually going to mention anything but I'm coming straight. It's been off the road for two years, needs head gasket, rear arm bearings, clutch, some pipe-work but its still a very solid clean car but my priority is my yellow break and where the hell would I be able to find all those low mileage parts? Like a 70k miles gearbox, struts, pump etc. all of which I need now. I also need the space in my barn so I thought : if I sell it I'll get maybe €300-400 and then what's to say the buyer wouldn't break it? All the best bits will be going onto my yellow break. The thing I liked the most that I can't save are the speed stripes. Oh well. Permission to throw rocks at me.. ( luckily I'm slightly out of range)

Sunrise at Stratford CCC meeting 2009

Looking badaaas 2009

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Re: No more polishing the TRD

Post by mat_fenwick »

Oooh, you BX murderer you :P Seriously though, you only have so much time in the day and keeping several vehicles on the road can be difficult. I did consider breaking the silver estate at one point, and I rather wish I had sometimes now it's come to the difficulty of finding a rear wing for the red one!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A shame for sure, but given the vast number of left-hand drive BXs, not as great a loss as a similar car on these shores. I will miss those stripes - it's an amazing car in the metal (and plastic). Love that shot of it on a ramp.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I expect Sandre will be along later with her Darth Vader Noooo!!, thingy. Anyone got first dibs on those 'turbine' alloys Todd? [-o<
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

mat_fenwick wrote: I did consider breaking the silver estate at one point, and I rather wish I had sometimes now it's come to the difficulty of finding a rear wing for the red one!
What about Stuarted's TGD that's about to be scrapped...? Might be one on there.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

A shame but I tend to favour pragmatism over bankruptcy every time and you can't save 'em all. It is pretty though with those wheels and the go faster stripes.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

mds141 wrote:I expect Sandre will be along later with her Darth Vader Noooo!!, thingy.
Nope, because this:
Paul296 wrote:A shame but I tend to favour pragmatism over bankruptcy every time and you can't save 'em all. It is pretty though with those wheels and the go faster stripes.
Sorry that it's reached the end of the road Todd, but at least it's helping other(s) live on :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The wonderful BX family. Not hard rocks but soft ones. There will be some bits'n'pieces available for the connoisseur of Le 80s inc. the featured wheels ( If I can just get the stuff over to the Uk). I actually bought it unseen as a parts vehicle but when it arrived on the trailer from north Germany I knew I should fix it and drive it, so I've already done the head gasket palaver once.Half of the interior is already in my yellow break where it looks classy until the kids puke on it or something. I dream of a day when my yellow break might have innovations such as.. power steering.. central locking.. electric windows. Crazy dreams.
Todd

Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Yeah, but be careful or we might bring out the comfy chair.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nooo!

Aslong as you're sure... You may regret it in a few years, I scrapped a 86 16TRS in full beige trim for a leaking pipe in 2003 #-o
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

..that_

I think most of us regret scrapping, or at least selling a car at one time or another - if not you end up with a collection of crap like the one listed at the bottom of my posts!

I've only scrapped a couple of vehicles over the years, A Montego TDi estate (which I still have the engine from somewhere!) and a Skoda Estelle which was written off my a Rover driver in a car park.

I do regret selling some vehicles though - My Skoda Rapid 136 (fun to drive, but really rare now), my '57 AZU (currently sat in a yard where the current owner parked it at least 6 years ago), Either of the H vans (the fist was crashed by the next owner, the 2nd is in the same yard as the AZU!) and my first ever vehicle, my Mk1 Bedford CF (broken for spares by the next owner).
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes Tim I knew you wouldn't approve! I've got a 16v that still needs finishing which I'm not selling and my rusty old R21 which I'm also not selling ( probably no-one would buy it anyway) and something has to go to make space for 'improvements' to the barn. I sold the black 16v without too much fuss and I was going to sell the TRD on too but then I thought : all those parts, I would be mad. The last TRD I bought for parts was a waste of time really as it was so worn out - I wanted the interior but it was shagged. The best condition parts come from low mileage cars.

I just don't think I would ever get round to fixing it otherwise. My Mercedes van is all stripped for bodywork repairs and respray then for practical family purposes I've got to fix the R21 Nevada after that. I've got enough spannering to keep me busy though ironically it will probably take longer to strip the TRD than it would to repair it!
Todd

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If you were a bit closer to us I expect that you'd get people trying to rescue it and bring it back, but at least it's not just being scrapped!

As you're dismantling it for parts, are going to cut up the shell aswell? I dunno about over there, but Mk1 rear wings are really thin on the ground here, and even if you weren't going to use them yourself I'm sure you'd find a home for them. There may be other bits of the shell too if it's good enough
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You're car your decision, but there's been a few mk1 bx in the uk worse than yours which have been restored (mine included). Headgasket etc are all straightforward jobs. If it were located here you would have lots of people offering to buy it.

Just a shame to see such a lovely low mileage example get broken up for its parts.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Tim Leech wrote:Just a shame to see such a lovely low mileage example get broken up for its parts.
…but balanced out by another 'keeper' BX being assumed a long term future. If I had a low mileage BX which needed a fair bit of work to sell for a reasonable price, I'd break it to keep my red one on the road. I guess I'm more into my BX rather than the BX.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad