Tom Tom Sat Nav Repair

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav Repair

Post by Kitch »

I can see you're quite passionate about this, so I won't say any more on the subject :|
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Well, I'm quite passionate about how poor built-in sat-nav systems are and what a silly ripoff price they are, which makes standalone sat-navs excellent value by comparison.

And for anyone who has a good smart phone, I can see that many sat-nav apps are even better value still.

But to incurr the expense of acquiring a new smart 'phone - if you wouldn't have done so otherwise - just for its sat-nav capabilities - is a little more questionable. Especially for people like me who are very happy with their extremely cheap-to-run but very effective dumb 'phones.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Halfords are doing a deal on a garmin over easter, about 69 quid iirc
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Kitch wrote:
Stuarted wrote:
mds141 wrote: ... 'Nav- Free' on my iPhone, which as the name suggests is completely free.
Yup, but the 'phone ain't.
Of course not, but if you're going to buy a phone anyway (as 99% of people do) then having one that can do pretty much anything you can ask of it is a bonus :lol:

mine can even make and receive phone calls :o :rofl:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've just switched to a Blackberry, but only because the company gave it to me. I was quite happy with my basic Nokia that cost next to nothing to run, but have to admit having a tool that can be a sat nav and give internet access that I'm not paying for is even better.

I do find the battery life a pain though. The Nokia would last about a week between charges, while the best I've had out of the Blackberry is 3 days - the worst though was 90 minutes!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

citsncycles wrote:I've just switched to a Blackberry, but only because the company gave it to me. I was quite happy with my basic Nokia that cost next to nothing to run, but have to admit having a tool that can be a sat nav and give internet access that I'm not paying for is even better.

I do find the battery life a pain though. The Nokia would last about a week between charges, while the best I've had out of the Blackberry is 3 days - the worst though was 90 minutes!

I was the same. I used to have a basic PAYG phone and used to mock all my mates on contracts with their 'smart' phones.

Then one day I did some sums, found I could get a cheap smartphone fairly easily and thought "screw it, I'll get one." Since I have....jesus it's almost life changing! :lol:
Want to write a shopping list? Don't bother, just scan the barcode of whatever you've just run out of and it'll add it to your cart. Then you can go to the shop with your phone and just grab what you need, or convert the list into an order and have it delivered.
Mechanic? There are OBDII apps to allow you to read ECUs on cars.
Astronomer? I have an app that shows me where all the planets/stars are at all times.....even the ones facing the otherside of the world!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

A few years ago before smartphones, everyone would be worried about their partner disappearing off with the milkman etc, i lost my wife when she got the i-phone 3 & lost her a bit more to number 4 & shortly to be number 5, haha.... Add the i-pad & now i'm totally fuxxed, its sad to lose out to technology ;)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I agree totally about the uselessness of in built car sat-nav. I like to plan my route before I get in the car.

I removed the nav box from the boot of the 406 and found the mounting bracket ideal for a VHF/UHF mobile radio.

My 'phone does navigation, but the larger screen tom-tom unit is easier to use in the car.

tom-tom connects using blueteeth to the phone so I get handsfree/texts updates etc without touching the phone. which is nice.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!