The TXD Turbot trouncer

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: The TXD Turbot trouncer

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Are blue clouds of smoke a bad thing when you start your XUDT in the morning (a glowplug or two aren't working)? Immediately followed by a consistant blue cloud, that was visible whilst driving 2 minutes or so down a rather steep hill, using the engine to brake in 3rd doing 30 ish? All was fine when I pulled away at the junction at the bottom of the hill.

It is using oil, and water. But I see drips when left overnight, could be oil, could be water and could be LHM too, all 3 are leaking somewhere :oops: No evidence of creamy oil in/on the dipstick area, haven't looked elsewhere though.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Blue smoke any any time is far from ideal. Are you giving it two bursts of glow plugs in the morning? Both mine are needing it when it's really cold.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Usually two bursts, that is waiting for the relay to click off, and if it is cold then a 3rd is required for it to not sound like it's a few cylinders short. Even if it does fire up on all 4 at first, there is always at least a little blue puff.

We were on holiday this week in Ilfracombe (a town perched on a hill), at a holiday park. There was a pirate treasure hunt around siad park one morning when we were going out, the first time I have been proud of a blue smoking car. Started it with only 1 burst of glow plugs (gosh, I hear you say) and gave it a cautious rev. Result? Group of pirate clad children were engulfed by my little blue smog :twisted: it just so happens that the exhaust was pointing in their direction :rofl: :lol: There was pointing, and scowling and coughing. Shit, I feel bad now. At the time though...

Anyway, I am being serious. This morning's amount of blue smoke did make me worry.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes, blue smoke not ideal, but probably liveable with rather than something that needs sorting right away! Has it just started? I'd suspect valve guide/stem seals (although not all XUDs had seals).
Dollywobbler wrote:Are you giving it two bursts of glow plugs in the morning? Both mine are needing it when it's really cold.
If you need more than one burst of glowplugs, that suggests something isn't quite right. Again, it may be something you're prepared to live with on an older car - spend the money on the GT!

(Just to show off, here's mine starting in the cold after a few weeks :P )

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I can leave my DTR for a month and it only needs one burst of the glowplugs, sounds like yours need replacing Tom.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Bloody ell Mat, that's just like watching the sequel to 'the blair witch project'!! :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yes but do you leave your DTR outside before trying to start it Tim? It's been so cold here that even our minibuses have been struggling to start with just one burst of glow plug. The TXD is a lot better since I changed the plugs, but a second burst does have it starting more cleanly when it's sub-zero.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Outside? No way she may catch a cold, it was about 3 degrees in the lock up last week though and she still fired straight up.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

We've had -6 and -7 degrees temps the last couple of nights. Since fitting the Bosch Duraterm glow plugs the XM fires up on the first crank. Since the new starter motor was fitted that has made a noticeable improvement to cold starting as well.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Thanks for the input chaps, been meaning to do something about the plugs, but i'd rather spend on the GT atm. RE blue smoke, it's always had a puff at first start but this has always disappeared almost straight away, the issue the other day (smoking all down the hill) I wonder if it's anything to do with such a steep dowhill road right after starting up?

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

mat_fenwick wrote:
(Just to show off, here's mine starting in the cold after a few weeks :P )
Don't make me get my long-time no-start video out! :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think the glow plugs could be a ruddy fish - Timex starts on the 1st hit of the plugs (on neat diesel at least!), but is lumpy for the first few seconds and smokes a lot, but it's grey/white smoke from badly/unburned fuel, not the blue smoke of oil.

I've run plenty of motors with worn engines over the years, and I'll 2nd Mat's suggestion of valve guides/seals. What'll be happening is when stopped, any oil around the valves will be running down the guides to find it's way into the combustion chamber to be burnt on start up. It'll continue to let small amounts of oil by when running, but on overrun (such as when engine braking or when the engine slows down during a gear change) it'll be sucking much more oil though any weak points like this and burning it.

So long as you don't get pulled for it or it fails an MOT on emissions then I'd live with it for now and just keep the oil topped up.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Cheers Mike, it takes a couple of months to go from Max-> Min so it's not using huge amounts quickly. I'll keep an eye out though.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I haven't done anything to this poor car for some time now. The oil and water leak has gotten quite irritating, so I've booked today off of work to have a go at sorting things out - otherwise i'll never get round to it. On inspection this morning, the sump gasket is the main culprit, and I couldn't decide if the gearbox is weeping too, although this could just be sump gasket oil running down, difficult to tell.

Took the tow bar off this morning too, whilst having a good butchers underneath I made a list of stuff to deal with.

Welding needed - back end of the passenger rear footwell area, not far from the fuel tank.
Sills,
Drivers door hinge
Sunroof front edge
Bottom of the passenger rear light cluster

Leaks - rear height corrector (tiny leak)
Power steering ram
Sump gasket

Other - New Drivers front caliper (there is a spring holding the handbrake part back, it squeals and there is a score mark in the disc)
Front discs+pads
Service
Gearbox oil change
Front tyres (spare is low, as is other side)
Paint new door, could have bumpers done at the same time.
New backbox.

Today, i'm planning to do the sump gasket, gearbox oil and service, see if I can see the water leak and try and adjust the turbo wastegate. There isn't much space behind here, so we'll see! Probably won't make too much difference anyway, as fueling affects the boost more.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

An afternoon of tinkering later, and all i've done is top the gearbox oil up! It took me a while to find the filling plug, in the end I used the breather plug as only had a petrol haynes and the filling plugs are at different locations on the petrols and diesels (or I may have been short sighted and just not find it), I had to take the battery out to do so, and it was still tricky, and I glugged oil all over the gearbox as I had no funnel! Good job the oil bottle had a longish skinny neck. The gear change is much smoother now, and I haven't heard any whining yet.

I did find the water leak too, it's the hose that goes from under the expansion bottle to the top of the stat housing, looks like the jubilee clip ha had it's screw and housing (that tightens/loosens it) snapped off, so all that's left is the ribbed band and strap that the screw would have sat on.

There were some interesting things I saw under the car. This is the rear engine mount, with a chunck taken off!

Looking up behind the engine, can't quite see the power steering rack, but this is where LHM is dripping, can't see from where but it ends up on the coiled pipes and the pipe with the union in this picture.

What's the creamy plastic bit here? Can also see the water leak in this picture, juts needs a new jubilee clip I hope, or maybe a new hose.

Drivers side brake disc from behind, there's a wear ridge, and the pad must be worn to not be using the full depth of the disc.

Passenger side looks much better!

This is the passenger side driveshaft where it enters the gearbox, should this part be exposed? Looks like it's weeped/does weep oil, or that it should be covered. Other side is the same, but has other stuff around it that shields it a bit, not a boot or anything, more like a metal bracket for some other purpose!

The source of all the crackling noises when you have more than two electrical bits on at the same time (e.g. lights and wipers), a bloody buzzer! Why on earth would you wire a buzzer into the rear light cluster and towbar electrics? Other than this, the towbar wiring was connected quite tidily to the light clusters, with these little blue clips, not seen them before but they look quite effective.

Shocking picture, but no towbar! Looks a bit odd...

Going to clean the inside, and outside too if I have time. Cup of tea time though, need to clean myself too, been poking oily greasy car bits all day, and been rolling around on dusty, dirty tarmac too. I'm very mucky!

From here? I'd really like to do the water and oil leak, may as well do a service too as the sump will be off. Couldn't get to the turbo to adjust the wastegate, there just isn't enough room to get a mini socket ratchet in there. Wheel trims, want to do something about these too, I did think about speedlines, but decided to stay with the trims. I either want a proper set, as per Vince's lovely white TXI, or a good/perfect TZ style as a second best. Saying that, i'm thinking about bidding on the early GTI/Pilot trims on ebay atm, we'll see how the bidding goes!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT