Anything about BXs
Al Williams

Post by Al Williams »

Just a quick introduction, to myself!

I have emailed Phil Chidlow a couple of times so we have met! :)
I was (and am again!) the owner of the silver BX GTi Auto that was on eBay in Lincoln. More about this later.
I am an airframes/propulsion engineer working on the Eurofighter Typhoon and as you can see by my signature I am a collector of all things ferrous!
I am married with three daughters (two by a previous conviction) and 34 years old.
Going bald and grey but still have all my own teeth (despite the best efforts of youth!)

Ok I will introduce you to Boomerang, the BX GTi Auto!
Boomerang came back into my life last night, panting, very warm and the dash lit up like New York on the 4th of July.
Trip to the cash point, refund given, scratching of head session coming on.
Boomerang was sufficiently cooled this morning to trace the fault to a blown fuse (F1 - 10A) which controls the fan/rev counter/oil pressure gauge?
Oil and water checked, no mixing so head is fine........
Problem now is the fuse has blown again after a quick drive (around five miles) and I am no auto electrician!
HELP :D
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hello Al and welcome to the club i live in lincoln we will have to meet up if necissary we can have a look at this problem and do some circuit tracing to try and find the fault.
I live in Birchwood I would asume as you are in the airframes industry you are around the waddington or hykeham area. :lol:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

This any help for starters??

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/E ... tlines.pdf

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Welcome along Al, I`m sure Sleepy can help with your problem!
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Welcome aboard Al!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well. welocome to the club Al. Hope you (with the help of the experts here) can sort out your problem. Typhoon, eh? Must be fascinating.

Looks like you might want to come to Duxford at some point this year (probably the big Autumn display), at which I was hoping to arrange a BX Day Out/Picnic! 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Al Williams

Post by Al Williams »

Hi guys,
Thanks sleepy I live in Coningsby the loudest village in the UK!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Nice selection of cars Al, any pictures of your collection? The Ascona is a favourite of mine :D
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hi Al welcome to the club, when that fuse blew in my car one of the cooling fans had a seized motor, it responded to oily stuff being squirted into it, hand rotation and a new fuse, good luck.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Al Williams

Post by Al Williams »

I do have pictures, but am not sure how to post them! Am a complete biff with all things electrical.
The wife has to plug the playstation in for me! :lol:
Hi Stuart, the fan is working ok.......?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Well Al if you need help PM me your address and i shall arrange a day to come over and have a look and see if we can sort it. :wink:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Al Williams

Post by Al Williams »

Hi Phil, rather glad you didn't get the car and a local guy did.
I'll be keeping it now as I missed the hatchback when it went!
Good car really.......!!! :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You know it makes sense! Come to the FCS (28th at Bruntingthorpe - contact Vanny on this forum) and we can meet up! :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Al Williams

Post by Al Williams »

I'll fix the BX first, would be bad to pitch up in another model!
The good news is I found some tippex on the cam belt cover saying the belt was changed at 50,000 miles. Whats the recommended period before changing it?
84,000 odd now.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Fuse blowing.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello had the same thing, the fuse would blow when it felt like it, 5min - 5 hours - anytime and it was a short in the wiring a few inches from the reversing light switch/auto. box starter isolation switch.
This is screwed into the auto. box, it has 4 pins and is burried under a lot of things just by the ATF cooler.
The only cure was to renew the wiring from the switch to a point under the battery. There are a lot of connections there which suffer from corrosion and general grot. A very quick check to see if the fuse has blown is that you have no reversing lights but more importantly no -cooling-fans.
Hope that helps, it was a sod to find.
Cheers.
Geoff.