LOSS OF POWER

BX Tech talk
tim leech

LOSS OF POWER

Post by tim leech »

Hey Guys, Ive driven to work in the 16 TRS today for its mot (fingers crossed) and I have got to say besides the exhaust blow its the smoothest riding BX I have owned.

However lol on the way in it lost power and slowed down alot, it would keep going under light throttle but would cough and die when I used any hard throttle. I switched off and stared again and it ran fine again, it did this 3 times in total on a 10 mile run again starting straight up again easily.

Any ideas? It ticks over smoothly and doesnt cutout as such just looses power and will die if you keep your foot hard on the gas.

The exhaust front pipe is snapped and knackered but is being replaced today.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Common Trs problem this one.

According to a guy in the US, the plastic stuff they make the fuel lines and tanks out of begins to degrade after about 8 - 10 years. When it does, it gives off a black dusty stuff that always seems to find its way into the carby jets.
I found with the two I owned and a couple mates of mine had that they all suffered from the same thing.
We found the best way was to pull the jets out and blow them and blow the carby through, check the float level (7 or 9mm +/-2mm) (?) and set it as low as it will run smoothly at when up to temperature. Fit a decent fuel filter before the fuel pump, I think we used one off a Subaru Forrester from memory, then another disposable one between the pump and the carby.
I also hit mine with a bit of methanol/carby cleaner to dissolve any moisture that may have accumulated in the tank and that has been the permanent cure.
Expect about 3 years before the filter needs a change and even then it's usually the one before the carb that goes as the other is a larger capacity as it's designed for an Efi car.
It took us ages to work that out after a lot of trial, error and frustrations, but that system will really work.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Okidokes, it has 2 fuel filters both of which look abit mucky! Will pour some carb cleaner through it and give it agood run.

One good thing whilst up in the ramp ive noticed its got a new steering rack and the whole of the undersides been waxoyled!
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Where can you get crab cleaner from tim?
2007 Sportka
M

Post by M »

OwenS wrote:Where can you get crab cleaner from tim?

:shock:
The doctors I suppose :wink:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Local pet shop maybe? :shock:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

They sell carb cleaner at halfords matey lol
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Whatever you do, don't rely on the carb cleaner to get this black dusty muck out; it has to be physically removed by blowing out. The carb cleaner will dissolve the moisture that's all.
Never heard of crab cleaner, but I have been told washing in Dettol tends to kill 'em. :oops: :oops: :shock:

Alan S :wink: :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Blue Unction.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
M

Post by M »

AlanS wrote:.
Never heard of crab cleaner, but I have been told washing in Dettol tends to kill 'em. :oops: :oops: :shock: Alan S :wink: :twisted:
We prescribe Prioderm here for that, smells like burning hair. I wonder if washing in Turps would do the trick?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Wire brush and dettol works apparently. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

Just depends where you've got them........the crabs that is lol :lol: :lol: :wink:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I only have a sore throat, but its my ambition to get the wire brush snd dettol before those dirty sods! there you go, the punchline :D :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

DOH another topic gone to some obscure deviation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody can say we dont have a laugh and a very varied topic base. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Hehehehe..I should really check my spelling before I post :oops:
2007 Sportka