TD Gearbox wanted.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

TD Gearbox wanted.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello I would be grateful if anyone has a TD gearbox they could sell me,please. It's for a 1992 BX. In good working order. Am in Bristol.
Thank you.
Geoff.
Will collect if possable.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Jonkw wrote:
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:17 pm Post subject: Clear out
BX TD gearbox 112k perfect (>90 type) £20
Hopefully Jon still has this Geoff, pm him :wink:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thanks ed4ferrets unfortunently it's an >90 , I wanted a later box.Never mind will keep trying.
Cheers.
Geoff.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Available:

Gearbox from 1991 Pug 405 1769TD. As far as I know, is identical to BX TD box (it's a BE3/5 with reverse below 5th rather than a BE1/5 with reverse next to 1st)

Works. Yours if you can collect it.
this might be a signature
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

TD box.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Many many thanks David Thats very kind. My son can make it on Saturday if thats OK if not then Sunday. I hope you are keeping well.
Best wishes.
Geoff.
PS.
Chris's phone number if there is a problem. 07932942468.
Toddman
BXpert

BX

Post by Toddman »

Hi Geoff
I take it Chris and his mate made it home to Bristol ok after collecting the TD.

Does it need a gearbox? we assumed it wa just a slack clutch adjustment.

Remind him about FCS hope you can make it as well

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

TD box.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Luke. Ah no problem it went very well acording to Chris, who was trying to keep up, it's being fettled and prepared for MOT as we speak. The box is for Chris's car, it's decided that 2 gears are enough, 5th and reverse and at the same time just to show no hard feelings it has destroyed a 20k recon injection pump hence the yell on the wants list for a Bosch pump. (Hint hint nudge nudge to all.)
Thank you for your concern, it's very kind and thoughtful of you. You are a gent. Chris will hopefully be in touch with you about bumpers or something like that.
Best wishes & travel safe.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:Thanks ed4ferrets unfortunently it's an >90 , I wanted a later box.Never mind will keep trying.
Cheers.
Geoff.
?? Doesn't >90 mean it's for models later than 1990 as the symbol that way round means "greater than" . So unless there is a change between 1990 and 1992 that surely should suit?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Not always. Often in Car parts catalogues ">90" means "to 1990" wheras "90>" means "1990 onwards"

Cam be confusing, especially when someone writes down something like "90<"... what on earth does that mean!?!

Anyway... as I read it, the Gearbox Jon had/has for sale is an earlier BE1/5 with reverse next to 1st.

Unless I'm mistaken?!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:when someone writes down something like "90<"... what on earth does that mean!?!
The symbol in that position means "less than" in engineering or mathematical terminology which I would have taken to mean a box earlier than 1990. (the opposite of the symbol before the number which is greater than)

However it seems from your reply (& Jon's) that the confusion is in that parts catalogues are using the chevron as an arrow meaning "to"1990. Probably this is because there is no standard arrow printing symbol on a Qwerty keyboard.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Way2go wrote:
DavidRutherford wrote: "90<"
The symbol in that position means "less than" in engineering or mathematical terminology which I would have taken to mean a box earlier than 1990.
Or, it could mean that 1990 is less than the gearbox, hence the box is newer than that...

After all, as a mathematic symbol, it's meaningless here as it's part of an incomplete statement.

(off into the realms of "off topic" again!)
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Gearbox

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Yes it is the later one with reverse and 5th together. Thank you.
It's OK David Memory not too good nowadays but finally remembered enough to find you.
Sat or Sunday, it's up to you.
Again Thank you.
Geoff.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Hi Geoffrey...

I'll be in both Saturday and Sunday, so whenever's convenient for you. Well done for remembering where I am!

Has the old box been disposed of? It would be very nice to try and fit a TD differential into one of the many N/A boxes I have.....
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Seems odd - 5th and reverse are on the same plane, but not in any way connected inside the box (5th being under the cover at the end). Sure this isn't just a linkage problem? I can't remember how the BX works, but presumably it's similar to the later-cars-that-shall-remain-nameless where there are 3 link rods, which are prone to falling apart and giving no gear change....

Nice if it was but I could be talking out of orifices not expressely designed for that purpose... :lol:
I NEED a BX TD.