16v, but which version?

Anything about BXs
Sweet 16 (valve)
Confirmed BX'er

16v, but which version?

Post by Sweet 16 (valve) »

Hi all,

I had a couple of BX's many moons ago (a 16TRS and a 19TRS) and am looking to get back into the fold again. I could never afford/insure a 16v back in the day but now they are crazily cheap to insure now I'm an old man but *oh* there seem to be only 32 left of the 16v's according to howmanyleft!

Apart from a ropey-looking white one on ebay that sold recently I've not seen too many about.

So my search may be about whatever comes up first, but what I do know is I'm not after a project, in terms of it must have been on the road for a few years.

Am I right in thinking that the phase 1 (p1) is the non-cat version with the different rear spoiler to the phase 2(p2) which has a cat and the more standard type of spoiler (non-gti)?

And what colours do they both come in? I've seen a white (nice), grey (very nice), and red (not keen on, my 16TRS was red and that was faded 15+ years ago!).

Do they have the same gearbox in as the 19TRS/gti where the revs are quite high at 70mph?

Any thoughts/opinions gratefully received. Thanks
mds141
Over 2k

Re: 16v, but which version?

Post by mds141 »

Hi there. I'm not sure how accurate 'how many left' is, but I'd say 32 is an extremely optimistic figure. Including my own phase 1, I'm aware of another 10 or so 'valvers', phase 1 and 2 that are in a running condition.

Obviously I'm somewhat biased, but personally I'd go for a phase 1 IF you can find one.

The phase 2 had a cat as you rightly point out and IIRC this robbed it of 20 bhp or so.

With regards to the gearbox, it is quite 'buzzy' on the motorway, with 70 mph equating to approx 3,300 rpm, however a number of owners have retro fitted their cars with TD variant fifth gear ratios, for a more relaxed cruising speed.

Good luck with whichever model you choose, they are a very addictive and fun car to drive. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

16V's were registered as both "16V" and "GTi 16V"

Phase 2's only had a CAT at the very end of the production run ('92/'93).
I have zero patience for your tedium.
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

Yes I have a Phase 2 (1989) which does not have a cat. The 5th gear can be easily changed for one from a turbo diesel box which reduces the revs by about 500. According to How Many Left, there are 35 taxed on the road with a further 85 on SORN. My guess would that the numbers taxed will gradually rise as the cars are appreciated more... This generally happens as numbers of a particular car get very low and certainly the 16V is a rather special car. They are are also quite economical – better than a standard GTI being capable of of 30+mpg quite easily. And if you do lots of Motorway and dual carriage miles the 5th gear conversion improves this by another 2–4mpg.
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
Sweet 16 (valve)
Confirmed BX'er

Thanks for the info guys. I really do want to avoid buying a resto project as I already have a VW Beetle for that and would just like a car to drive.

I know this is probably going to raise some hackles but its really for the 'look' of the 16v that I'm interested in it, not because of the engine. I have seen a GTi that is a project that has the 16v bodykit which doesn't bother me, as I'm not a purist when it comes to cars as long as it looks good. I guess an unattached 16v bodykit is probably even rarer than the car itself?

Cheers all.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Theres also the hurricane to consider then,
Quite rare in itself but had the 16v body kit with either the 8 valve petrol or even a diesel engine if your not in a hurry
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Sweet 16 (valve)
Confirmed BX'er

Thanks Mickey! I'm really not worried about the engine in terms of petrol or diesel as it won't be a daily - I think I'd prefer a petrol actually if given the choice. I'll have to look out for a hurricane. The newest BX I had was a G-plate 19TRS and if my memory serves me correctly the Hurricane came out after that didn't it?

Cheers
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Mickey taker wrote:Theres also the hurricane to consider . . . a diesel engine if your not in a hurry
Yeah, yeah yeah - from a man who owns a tricycle (with a stand :shock:) ! :D
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Hurricane only had the 16v spoiler. Everything else was stock BX.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I thought the vents on the C pillar were the same as a valver weren't they?
Sweet 16 (valve)
Confirmed BX'er

According to the bible (howmanyleft) :lol: there's only 17 hurricanes left!

Wow, these BX's have been seriously hit by scrapping unfortunately :-<

There's still a few for sale here and there but they're not very exciting model-wise. The BX I saw with the kit on it was a GTI, been off the road for quite a while and 189K miles. Sounds like a money-pit to me.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Paul296 wrote:I thought the vents on the C pillar were the same as a valver weren't they?
Well, yeah I considered them part of the spoiler but if you want to get in to the nitty-gritty..... :lol:

You could go one league of analness higher and say the front spoiler is a 16v part too, as it was the first BX they were fitted to. The GTi gained it not long after and the tizzydee turbo a couple of years after that.

AFAIK (happy to be corrected), Hurricanes were only made to use up a surplus supply of 16v shells and spoilers. The shells sat around for a while prior to being built, which according to the rumour mill is why they (and Triton green valvers) seem to rust a bit worse than most.

Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Kitch wrote:
AFAIK (happy to be corrected), Hurricanes were only made to use up a surplus supply of 16v shells and spoilers. The shells sat around for a while prior to being built, which according to the rumour mill is why they (and Triton green valvers) seem to rust a bit worse than most.
So the story goes. (zips up anorak :D ) . . . There were 600 Hurricanes (TZD and GTi) sold in this country plus 1500 Ourane's in France. The total production for ph2 valvers was only just under 4000 so either the story is apocryphal or someone really cocked up projected demand for ph.2 valvers!? I don't know if they're any rustier than any other BX really. Mines had a bit of welding in the boot, a bit on the inner wings and blistery rear door shuts - par for the course really?
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

/\ I'd say so yes. [anal mode] Also, the Hurricane shared the front door, rear door and rear wing trim with the 16v (and Athena models (+ any others?)).
The front wing trim is different betwixt 16v and Hurricane/Athena models [/end anal mode]
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

BX Bandit wrote:/\ I'd say so yes. [anal mode] Also, the Hurricane shared the front door, rear door and rear wing trim with the 16v (and Athena models (+ any others?)).
The front wing trim is different betwixt 16v and Hurricane/Athena models [/end anal mode]
Forgot about the side mouldings, though they're not 16v specific either.