Land Rover starting q

BX Tech talk
Oscar
1K Away

Land Rover starting q

Post by Oscar »

Hello

I'm posting this more in the spirit of enquiry than anything else, and I know we have a few LR fans.

A friend of mine has bought a 2nd hand turbo-diesel LR (I don'[t know the model). It starts ok when cold, but won't start when the engine is warm. Starter motor operates and the engine turns over.

He told me yesterday that after a week of this, he checked the coolant level and found it was nearly empty. I think he may have compromised the HG in such a way that a warm engine loses compression when starting.

Does this sound likely?
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
M

Post by M »

Check for the simple things first - quite possibly an air leak on or near the fuel pump. I had a very similar problem with a ZX, started perfectly when cold - could not stsrt it for love nor money when hot. Eventually traced the fault to a perished 3 way pipe connection under the pump - new rubber & some silicone later and all was well once again.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

is it a smoker?

If the compression is low when hot it will spin over rapidly on the starter and belch clouds of white unburnt fuel. I would have thought that it would fire eventually when the glowplugs reached a high temperature.

If as Mart suggests its air in the fuel - then it won't inject much and there won't be much smoke!

If its a turbo diesel as opposed to a TDI (85 BHP as opposed to 111BHP - the more powerful engine is direct injection and may not use glowplugs for normal cold starts) it amy have been subject to a recall for defective piston rings. Apparently the suppliers couldn't get the proper grade and used a harder metal - and guess what - they all failed. Turbo-diesels were made a long time ago (85 - 90?) so this was probably cleared up ages ago.

jeremy
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The earlier Turbo-diesel engine is also known for having utterly awful compression, and "venting" like there's no tomorrow. When this happens, it can be very hard to get a hot engine to start due to naff-all compression.

Unfortunately when this happens, the engine is pretty much at the end of it's life. To check, once the engine is running and up to temperature, pull the crankcase vent pipe off and see how much it vents. It'll probably be venting so hard that there's spats of oil coming out too.
this might be a signature
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Hi folks

Thanks for your contributions. I ran them past my mate, but he is going to take it to the garage to sort out. He thinks the immobiliser may be stopping it working at high temperatures :?: :!: so I'll let him let them sort it out. No doubt I'll be hearing loads of stories about how useless garages are and how much more expensive it's turned out to be.

O
M

Post by M »

Oscar wrote:Hi folks

Thanks for your contributions. I ran them past my mate, but he is going to take it to the garage to sort out. O
Kerrrchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing! :shock:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Oh dear!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Well, he's a plumber so he can afford it. :D
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If it`s any help I think some shared the same engine as the LDV 400 commercial which was sourced from Peugot. Thought I`d mention it in case he needed an engine and/or engine parts as there`s usually a fair few cheap vans knocking about.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

cavmad wrote:If it`s any help I think some shared the same engine as the LDV 400 commercial which was sourced from Peugot.
Not in this case.

The engine that was shared between Land-Rover and the LDV van was the V8. Diesel engines in Land-Rovers have always been Land-Rover engines. Which is a shame, as a Peugeot engine would have been significantly better in many cases. Some people have retro-fitted Peugeot engines into Land-Rovers, but they never came like that from the factory.

Will be interesting to hear what the final verdict on this engine is, as I have a feeling it will either be something tiny, or a written-off engine.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Didn`t know that so apologies if I`ve misled! I know (or should say I`ve heard) of people who`ve fitted an even better engine into Landy`s-the brilliant Perkins TD motor as fitted to Maestro`s and Montego`s.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

The perkins T4.108 from a montego is a brilliant engine to shove in a landrover, and you have to wonder why Land-Rover themselves never made the connection.. after all, the engine was available in about 1986, at which point the best Land-Rover could offer was the 2.5 diesel, which was based on a design from 1956.......

The other popular engine swap in Landies is a perkins 4.203 or 4.236. I have one of each, and it has to be said they are silly engines. 60-70bhp from nearly 4 litres is ridiculous. More torque than a Pug 1.9TD, but at 1600rpm. And they top out at 2600rpm. Not nice to drive.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Update:

According to the garage, it was a camshaft sensor for the fuel pump that was malfunctioning when the engine was hot.

My mate had this repaired, a full service, and a couple of pads.

Guess how much.

No, more than that.

No, more than that again.

GBP1099.00 Kerchinggg indeed!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

:shock: Shite!

What year vehicle is this.... only the TD5 has a camshaft sensor. The TurboDiesel and 200/300 TDi are fully mechanical.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I don't know what year, but it's a dinky little modern white thing. Looks like the lovechild of a RangeRover and a Vitara. Don't like it much myself.