16V sunroofs.

Anything about BXs
AlanS
BXpert

16V sunroofs.

Post by AlanS »

Can anyone tell me if they ever produced a 16V with no sunroof?

I've never seen one nor heard of one that didn't have one nor have I ever seen a brochure that reckoned one was ever made, but there's a guy out here who reckons he has one.
Is it a genuine article, a special order (didn't know Citroen did such things) or perhaps another body shell that has had the guts of a 16V grafted into it?

Anybody know for sure or got any theories??

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

All of the ones i have ever seen have been sunroof models alan! cant say i have ever seen a non sunroof model on any of the searches i have done whena lil bored either!!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
M

Post by M »

I suppose a "special order" car is possible - someone recently mentioned a 3 door Austin 1300 made specially that way when all the others were either 2 or 4 door.
But that far from France, where BX's are a rarity anyway :?: it seems unlikely.
My own instinct would be a non 16v bodytub with 16v mechanicals grafted in - perhaps a re shell following a bad accident or something?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ive never seen one without a sunroof myself either. Some models come without side repeaters for non ukmarkets for some reason :?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

To my knowledge there was a 1993 model registered in 1994 with a tin bonnet sold in Sydney a few weeks ago but from memory, I think it also had a sunroof and this was as rare a 16V you'd be likely to see in Oz in my opinion.
I have seen a Tri with 16V mechanicals in it which even had the 16V bumpers but I wonder if this might be a TZi body that's had the same treatment as there are a fair few of them out here.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

'What Car' for March 1990 states that an electric sunroof was included in the price for the 16 valve and many others. Some got a manual (TGD?) and some real cheapies didn't get one at all (17 RD and 14 TGE)

Things may be for other countries - as in the UK we like to think the sun shines frequently
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Being a nerd I have brochures for most model years of the Bx inc 16V and a sunroof is standard in all of those.
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

I'm reasonably sure that a guy I was in e-mail contact with in Sweden had one with Aircon, and that didn't have a sunroof...

I could be wrong of course, so that's not much use really is it :oops:

Dan
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Daniel B wrote:I'm reasonably sure that a guy I was in e-mail contact with in Sweden had one with Aircon, and that didn't have a sunroof...Dan
Very often with some marques to have aircon meant no sunroof as many regarded these options as mutually exclusive.
My BXGti is the 8v with factory aircon & a sunroof, which is sensible of Citroen to leave continiuous choice with customer rather than a one-off decision when you purchase the car.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

In mainland europe i'm pretty sure the sunroof was an option.

My contact with a GTi 8v certainly has no sunroof.
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

All the cars built for Australia (BXs that is) had air/con regardless of sunroof and I can remember seeing a car that I think Ron Veltkamp had pics of one time that was a red car with red and black leather in it was a special one off for some promo or other as I contacted him about it at the time, but I couldn't see them sending a one off promo car out here when I understand less than 100 16Vs were ever brought into the country from 89 - 94.
Personally, I think they could have done us all a favour by leaving it out due to the intensity of the sun out here. The only time I ever open mine is at night and even then you have to be careful because you never know what's gunna fly or fall in when you're driving. :shock: :shock:

Alan S :twisted:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Guess what!!

All I can say is "I'll be buggered" :shock: I certainly didn't know that existed. I'll try to find out a bit more history if possible. :roll:

Alan S
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

hmm thats the first Ph2 that i've seen without a sunroof, very impresive find that one! I believe that for the early 16v GTi's the sunroof was to some extent optional, i've seen pictures of one without a rain window in the top, cant find the pics now though :(
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, I'll be bu***rd!

I wish mine had no sunnroof as the rear headroom reaaly does suffer.

what a find, Alan!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Alan, is there any way you can search records somewhere through the number plate of the car? Maybe if you can access a web site with vehicle records ( a bit like `our` DVLA) then the plate might bring up whether the car is a 16V or a re-shelled less exotic model?
Vauxhall apologist.