Courtesy light degradation

Anything about BXs
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: Courtesy light degradation

Post by BX Bandit »

Don't think so but I'm not entirely sure. The one touch window relay works that way, but my guess is that the delay timer is a simple RC decay circuit.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The light delay works fine with the LED's Mike.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I don't know Mike. Looking at what's available on eBay they all appear to produce light on one side only which might be an issue. In terms of heat produced - the only way to find out would be to buy one and measure the current. Many LED lighting designs push the current to the maximum allowable for the devices concerned (which compromises the efficiency somewhat) and they do get hot but probably not as hot as a 10W bulb - some even have a heatsink on the back but they should be cooler than a bulb but I don't see the current / wattage in the listings.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by HZman »

When a bulb went on my BX interior light I changed it for an LED and found it very white and illuminating a smaller area than the original so I have gone back to a 'proper' bulb. I did the same with our 2cv which has a retro-fitted door switch.
These bulbs had 6 leds so maybe one with more is better but personally I still find the light too white.
Peter
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Personally I can't stand the blue/white tint of most retro fit LED 'bulbs', but some of the warm white ones are a passable match. Sanding the epoxy dome of the LEDs will diffuse the beam somewhat.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I don't like it either Matt and HZman said they are crap so I'll stick to normal bulbs but I'm keen to prevent the good ones in the TGD going the same way. Perhaps a time limiter is called for in the event the door is left open.
1990 BX TGD White
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've put a switch in mine so when the door is open for any long period of time I can turn it off. More to save the battery when leaving the doors open (say when camping and listening to the radio) though - I hadn't thought about the plastic.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

No one ever thinks of the plastic :-(
1990 BX TGD White
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

With great respect, it's easy to 'turn off' the side interior lights. Just slide the switch at the bottom of the unit to a point midway between 'On when door open' and 'On when door closed'. I too use this trick when working on boats so I can have the tools in the car but listen to the radio whilst working. As mentioned it saves juice from the battery.

Anyone fitted a DAB radio cd/mp3 device to a BX? Originally analogue radio was to be binned in 2014 but it's been extended. Have used Pure Highway device in C4 and it works OK but more integrated unit would be better for BX if now reasonable dosh.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I guess you could turn them off yes, I hadn't thought of that, but then you'd have to manually turn them on again in the dark which kind of defeats the point of the door open switch and delay timer.

As the bulb is more or less central to the light, it was curious as to why it was only the front edge of the light that had deteriorated. FAcing the sun this morning, it was surprising to the the same edge that had degraded was also in direct sun light.

Has anyone seen these lights with degradation on the rear edge?
1990 BX TGD White
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Those on Mollie just fell completely to bits bud. The plastic just gave up and died, all of it on both sides.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I don't have a problem with the lights running the battery down with the doors open - none of my door switches work!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:it was curious as to why it was only the front edge of the light that had deteriorated.
That suggests in your case at least that the degradation from sunlight was the dominant cause. Turning a switch off every time would be a pain, and as you say defeats the object of having door switches. I could just slide the switches to the half way position but didn't think they'd stay there. With mine it's next to another switch which allows the radio to be used without the key in the ignition, again useful for when camping and you don't want all the dash lights/blower motor on.

As for DAB, I started a related thread in General Chat a few months ago - there may be some useful points in there? I'm shortly going to be going to an MP3 based system in mine, as I spent several weeks converting my whole CD collection. It's absolutely great having effectively an unlimited range of music for even the longest journey.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Technically it will be the UV in the sunlight doing the damage to the plastic. I would guess the material might be SAN sort of a superior grade PS. It would appear Citroen used a better material for the later models. Mine were '88 and '91(2 off) and I have not had this problem. They might even have gone as far as using a PVC or Acrylic.
Impossible to tell unless you have one you can test with solvents or find technical literature from Citroen engineering dept!

Thanks for heads up on DAB will check it out. Have to say I don't need the key in the ignition to work the radio on 14RE and Athena so might be a wiring change. I don't like the central locking on the Athena compared to the RE as the passenger door does not open whole car. Minor gripe though, and I'm sure if I investigate Soleneoid Central it could be set another way...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Tinkley wrote:Have to say I don't need the key in the ignition to work the radio on 14RE and Athena so might be a wiring change.
Ah. That would be as I fitted an ignition switched feed to the radio in addition to the standard permanent 12 V supply - I had forgotten :oops: 99% of the time I want it to turn off when I get out, which is why I did that, but there are times when leaving the ignition key in the first position is not ideal.

Not sure about the door locks - based on the ones I've had it seems some unlock all doors from the passenger door, and some don't!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad