BX won't start, must move.... or else

Anything about BXs
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

BX won't start, must move.... or else

Post by Jack »

The warehouse where I am storing 2 BXs has just been sold. I have another warehouse I could use temporarily (only two weeks but more time to find a buyer) but I just found out that neither of the cars will start. If they can't start, I can't move them, and I can't sell it immediately I can't see any way out for the 8v. Offers welcome and I'll post more details later but right now I'm after offers of help and suggestions please because I have to get these cars moved ASAP and where can I store them if they can't be started?

1) silver 8v auto. 109,999m Body work only just short of immaculate but needs (1) new exhaust including downpipe, (2) new brakes, and everything else associated with being laid up for some years.
Wouldn't start although I used a good battery which turned the engine over till the wires got hot and i put half a gallon of petrol in before trying so it wasn't that either. With so much work required I can't afford garage prices to put it right but it was a good reliable runner for the 10,000 miles I used it and it does look good. If it was in the right hands I believe it would repay the attention it needs.

2) silver 16 valve low mileage, a bit less than 60,915. This is a really nice runner and would be a really nice car needs new wings and new passenger door (attempted break in not structural in any way) and new fuel cap. However this is such a good runner it's going in for MOT Friday to see if I can find a buyer. (It had an MOT two years ago and it's been under cover for nearly all of that time). Of course the spares I mentioned are all available on the 8v auto if no-one wants that.

(3) and (4) not so urgent as these are at my home so I need to concentrate on (1) and (2). But they could use some of the spares if they become available from (1).
3) the grey Ph1 valver that Jon did all the welding on Jon's Blog, sadly no pics but all the work he did on this car is there in the small print
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4) red Phase 2 (late with Cat) and issues http://www.bxclub.co.uk/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I can update this a bit later with additional details about the engine. This is a bit less red and a bit more pink than these pics but has been out of the sun in a garage for most of the time and I can't get currently get to it to provide new pics.

OK, back to the main point - I can't afford to keep on throwing money at these cars only to turn round and find they won't start when I absolutely need them to. And ideas what I can do with the 8v auto please? Can anyone get to Daventry and take a look at it for me? Ideally tonight, sorry about ridiculously short notice but went on holiday with new warehouse arranged believing i could move this car when i got back off holiday. I could possibly leave it it to the weekend but if for any reason it won't start the 8v auto is guaranteed scrap on Monday when the new warehouse owners turn up. I'm still assuming the garage can get the 16v running for a reasonable cost.

In the absence of better offers I have arranged with the garage to pick up both cars on Friday £30 per car. If it will start the 8v can go straight to a new warehouse where i can get access but only for a couple of weeks (another business planning to move warehouse). If it won't start and I take it to the garage it will be £60 to move it to the new warehouse for two weeks plus their bill for starting it. On the other hand, if there is no purchaser they will take any parts required off the car and scrap the rest.
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Re: BX won't start, must move.... or else

Post by Jack »

test of sample pics
[img]
http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/Jack0 ... ort=3&o=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/Jack0 ... sort=3&o=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/img]
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

Above were the 8v auto

these are the 16v
http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/Jack0 ... 5.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's the nearside door that was broken into and has no lock
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Have you tried a temp fuel supply witha fuel can under the bonnet? With standing so long, there could be a problem with the fuel lline letting air in, or the pump.

Not an expert on autos, but could there be an inhibitor switch issue?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Good to see you again Jack, its been a while, the GTi auto (I bought from Cavmad) was my old car which I sold to Jack in 2007, it was a nice car and I regreted selling it, two P1 Vlavers surely must be able to find a home. I cant and wont pass comment on the condition of these car now as I havent seen it a long time, I drove the silver 16v and it pulled like a train but that was 5 years ago. Again it would be a real shame for these to be scrapped.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

citsncycles wrote:Have you tried a temp fuel supply witha fuel can under the bonnet? With standing so long, there could be a problem with the fuel lline letting air in, or the pump.

Not an expert on autos, but could there be an inhibitor switch issue?

It wouldnt turn over at all I think Mike if that was the case. Dare I say easy start?
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

Thanks Tim. I guess everyone that comes to know the story will appreciate there may just have been a good reason why I've paid £00's for storage - because both these cars are special in their own right, not just to me. But in the last few hours I've come to think me having a BX is like trying to push water up hill. When I decided to keep these cars I was getting a good rate on contract but after moving to Daventry failed to renew it with similar work. I now work from home and have absolutely no need whatsover of any separate car. If I did, I'd certainly put the money into a BX. But if I'm honest with myself I've got far less frustrating ways of spending the money I have.

The silver 16v is a probably a steal for anyone who wants a cheap fast low mileage car but remember I could still keep one of them in a garage....

I have resisted the obvious temptation to steal bits from the silver 8v because in it's own way the 8v is also so special. I did about 10,000 miles in it and had to buy a new starter motor (and admittedly a clip fell off the steering linkage (which was far more exciting than expensive). Some of you guys could so easily make it into a real gentleman's conveyance, but not me I'm afraid.
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

Thanks Mike. I'm not technical and these cars are away from home, no power or water supply, and not the right warehouse at all.

Even Easy Start: nothing's been easy for me and BX's I'm afraid. At this stage I'm probably going to have to leave it to the garage to sort it out.
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Jack,

Can you PM me your phone number and I will call you to discuss the 16v's.

I am only in Leicester and can easliy pop over to you.

I could visit on Saturday morning, does this work with your time scale?

Phase 1 16v's are my preferred car of choice and will gladly help out in this situation if possible, I would be able to take the cars on and put them into storage myself rather than see them scrapped or broken up.

Thanks,

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

PM Sent - thank you very much, I will see how Saturday might work out...
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Really hope you get this sorted Jack - they look like lovely cars that deserve to be saved.
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

thanks Paul, I'm eagerly waiting for Mike's call...

great if Mike could take the 8v auto instead of me spending more money at the garage....

anyway l'd better talk with him before I say anything else

more good news, I now know we can move the cars Monday morning and I have access at least part of the day on Saturday. the day is getting better as it goes on
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

H***FEG was one of the best BX's bodywork wise I owned, I had the bumpers professionally painted aswell as lots of little bits and it drew lots of admiring comments at the 2007 National http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes that is me, rather slim with lots of hair...
Sweet 16 (valve)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Sweet 16 (valve) »

How easy is it to move a BX when its on its low setting and can't be started? I've had a few low cars before and it usually involves getting some angled wood chocks to save anything low scraping on the ground when its going up the ramps.
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Thanks for the PM.

Will call you in a bit.

I will be calling from my mobile and I am currently working in my German office, therefore sometimes the network withholds my number, just incase it comes up unknown out of area or something else.

Thanks,

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits