**Message from "Chevronics" re parts**

Anything about BXs
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: **Message from "Chevronics" re parts**

Post by Caffiend »

Tim Leech wrote:Bear in mind travel costs, fuel, hotels, labour costs hes not getting when away from the business, I for one am grateful we have people willing to do it, yes he will make a living from it but we all have to do that!
On top of that, a few grand tied up in parts for possibly several years is a few grand simply not available to be spent on other things - not a risk that many people are willing or able to take.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

As Doc often say's, these things are worth whatever anyone is willing to pay. Ebay is a very fickle indicator of car prices, but generally speaking car values have shot up over the last 12 months or so. With the rust buckets frequently meeting their bean can fate and with new parts becoming rarer, I would expect the prices people have quoted on here to be exceeded by quite some margin as the years pass. Good luck to Rob and fingers crossed he can help us keep motoring!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Assuming I'm not the only person committed/daft to pay £70+ for a dented new rear wing (and with a maximum bid of rather more), then I think decent second hand panels could fetch that sort of money in time, even if not now. We're a tight lot though (in general), although the difference between what I'd want to pay and what I'm prepared to pay if I need to is quite large!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

This from Rob:
Ok BX rear panels, frankly i dont think this project will be feasible, i have located a good stock of rust free BX,s in a yard,the back ends are obviously perfect the trouble is they want just under 200 euros for the complete back end this includes inner, outer wings, rear panel and boot floor. I estimate the cost for me carrying out this project at £2000 and the returns in the end probably after 10 years at £1500.
What may be possible is producing a batch of 100 OSR outer wings, i think if i was to collect an order for 15 at about £100 plus vat a panel then we may be able to go forward.Your thoughts are always appreciated.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

I'd take an estate one!
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I know that it's the offside wings that tend to go badly, but sod's law dictates that it's about the only straight panel on Timex, and what rust is on it is easily repairable (for me at least!).

What are the chances of nearside estate wings being made? If there's any chance, I'd place an order now, even if it took several years to get as far as production, as it could well be better than whatever I could make myself.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm not sure it is the offsides that suffer more. The Green Tiger had major rot nearside, but barely anything offside. TZD Turbo has rot both sides, but it's worse nearside. I do wonder if a small repair section just for the bumper indentation would be feasible. Done right, it might be possible to use it on both saloon and hatch. I'm no bodywork expert so this might just be pointless wittering!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If you look at the shape of the bumper, the leading edge is different - vertical on hatchbacks and slanted on estates.

If they're still available, there was a lower repair section for mk2 hatchbacks that would deal with rot along the wheel arch lip.

I'll go and put my anorak away now :oops:
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Just been speaking to Rob about his foray to France and it would seem the scrapyard are a bit ambitious on the price. Strikes me as odd that they would rather pass up on a large potential sale than do a deal. That's assuming the scrap metal prices in France are comparable to the UK.

As per the post on Chevronic's Facebook page, Rob wants to know who would commit to an order for new rear wings so he can set up a production run. If you are serious about obtaining replacement panels, give him a call on 01462 451808 for further info. The reality is that to survive, many BXs are going to need surgery in this department and replacing a panel is a whole heap easier than welding in patches and making good.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'd go for that - those that have seen Timex's blog, or both Timex and tthe GS on my Facebook page will know I'm no stranger to making my own repair sections, but Timex's passenger rear wing will need replacement if it's ever going to approach anything like presentable.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Just stuck my potential order up on their Facebook page, so I'd suggest anyone one else on there with need of panels does the same.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD