BX 1.9 Diesel estate - ex-Dollywobbler £160

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

BX 1.9 Diesel estate - ex-Dollywobbler £160

Post by vulgalour »

I want to restore this car, I really do, but I don't have the mental faculties to get it done. I need a second car for insurance reasons and even though the Princess does everything I need her to, a few cheap alternatives have been presenting themselves lately so I've decided to part ways with Stripey.

The car has no tax and no MoT and is therefore priced at the scrap value of £160 with the buyer to collect.

I don't want to scrap this car, a few days welding and a bit of money spent online at AEP would see everything ready for an MoT. I'm not in a good enough position mentally to get this done and I have to be realistic about my limitations. The car runs and stops and will happily chug along on veg. It will also happily return 50mpg+ in all conditions.

Rot spots aren't terminal. The rear passenger wing is the worst bit on the car, but is repairable. Driver's side wing will need some attention on the arch where it meets the sill, but little else. Rear crossmember needs replacing, but again this isn't serious or structural. Front inner wings have gone in the usual place, but not too seriously and the trailing end of the sills are in need of some attention. Floors appear to be solid.

Mechanical maladies are limited to a split LHM return hose (car does hold LHM and will rise and brakes work), an air leak that means you sometimes have to prime the fuel pump and probably a new clutch. Comes with timing belt and waterpump which I haven't yet fitted. There are no puddles of LHM apart from a leak from the split return hose which is a cheap part to replace.

Er... I think that's everything. As I say, I'd dearly like to give this car the attention it wants and get it back on the road, but I can't realistically and it's just going to sit on the garden for a while until I've got myself sorted out mentally. This is a tough call, but a sensible one.

If the right car comes up soon enough I'll be scrapping this at short notice to raise funds, so I hold no promises about it being available for long. I can store the car indefinitely, but only if the £160 is paid in full.

Pictures on request, my Photobucket has gone and exceeded the bandwidth for June.
mat_fenwick

Re: BX 1.9 Diesel estate - ex-Dollywobbler £160

Post by mat_fenwick »

This forum probably isn't the best place to sell a BX, historically speaking. Ebay might be a better bet, although you'd need to factor in listing and selling fees. It's a shame you're thinking of scrapping given the time you've spent on it - personally I care more about time spent on a car than the money! But you have to do what you feel is best.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

It's not a decision I want to make, really. I'm sure to regret it too further down the line as this car is worth saving as it's by far not the worst estate I've seen on the road. We all knew it was possible that I'd be the last owner though, especially with the run of crap I've had over the past couple of years.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, I'm not having it back for a third time! Hope someone can take the ol' girl on. As said, she's bad in places, but pretty good in others. I like to think that the cavity wax I pumped into it back in 2009/2010 might have actually had an effect.