Re:locked topic

Anything about BXs
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Re:locked topic

Post by tom »

I have received a most courteous explanation from Jaba for which I thank him.

It has been suggested that it may be more productive to enquire about affiliation to the ICCCC. Should this be affordable, I am prepared to consider funding an application because these are the people who issue invitations to the more interesting events worldwide and I feel that this club deserves entry. What do the membership think?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

whats the ICCCC? thought they where for 2CV's?
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The International Citroen Car Club.

They put on events like the Amherst and Interlaken shows. The next one is 2007 i think in Italy.

Having been to the Interlaken show I can quite honestly say it was the best car show experience i've ever had.
Over and out from me
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Sounds good - would love to take part in a BX convoy to foreign climes.
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

Me likey.

Sounds like a very good idea. Although Rene will need a bit of work to be able to go to Brora next month let alone Italy. LOL

Calf.

PS. I'm toying with the idea of getting either a Rover 800 or an XM to go with Rene. Haven't told the missus yet though! LOL
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Yes I have an XM in the back of my mind too, I've spoken about it here before. Series 1 manual TD with good electrics (as far as I could make out). It had been standing for 18 months when I saw it, but started first time and rose instantly!

SWMBO has seen it and knows of my illicit passion - she'd like it too but the BX has taken so much time and energy that we'd be loth to let it go and can't afford two..
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I don`t know much about XM`s to be truthful but the one`s I`ve seen have certainly impressed me. I recall somone saying gearboxes are their achilles heel but I`m sure you`d already know that. The Rover is a lovely drive but electrics are a real problem with them. Personally speaking (and if I thought I`d have said this a few years ago I`d have taken myself and shot myself through the head) I`d go for a Volvo 740 2 litre, ideally automatic. Brilliant cars: very nice to drive, reasonable economy, very comfortable and have reliabilty and good residual values to boot. The 2.3 carb ones are expensive to run though and as for the 2.8 ones, well don`t ask!
Vauxhall apologist.
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

My mate had an '87 740 2.0 SE which was bored out to 2.3 (not sure why) and it was not too bad. The problem is, I have a soft spot for the 800 as my dad had an 825 Sterling and I've seen a couple of '98 R plate Sterling fastbacks up round here for under £1100! I just loved that K-V6 growl!

My missus would kill me as she she has set her heart on an original Mini as she wants to pass her test in. I'm not sure as we already have a Rover 100 Kensington whom she loves to bits. There isn't much room here for more than two cars... LOL.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Those fastback ones are quite rare aren`t they only ever seen about 3 or 4? They are, of course, much more modern looking and feeling than the 740 too. I used to despise Volvos with a passion but I`ve had 3 or 4 740`s now and they`re so nice to drive, especially in auto form, and seem quite well built. Problems I`ve encountered have been relatively minor-the usual things are errant fuel guages and headlinings which like to disintegrate in front of your eyes.
Despite being a real Vauxhall nut I`ve never been a big fan of Carltons though a 3.0 24V Senator would be nice!
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Get an XM!

If you go for the 2.0 CT Turbo you get a nice blend of power and economy.
Over and out from me
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

I'd love either a 2.6 or 3.0 Carlton with the straight 6 engine... However, finding a clean one is harder than finding a sound BX! I'm a Vauxhall fan too. Never had a Cav though, but I loved my Mk1 Vectra 1.8i, that was some machine. Replaced it with a Mk4 Astra 1.4i which was probably the worst car I ever owned (apart from the very brief flirtation with an '89 Skoda Estelle 120LS... Best left forgotten... LOL).

The one car I miss most of all is the Mk2 Astra 1.8CDi I had for 2 years. It was a rust bucket but it was so full of character. I shouldn't have given her away :cry: .

An XM 3.0i V6 would be awesome. I don't know why but it would have to be one of the last ones. Did they put the HDi unit in it before the end? I've even thought about by buying a brand new C5, the look is excellent, way better than the first C5. Don't like the C4 though.

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

There was a Lotus Carlton on eBay a couple of months ago fairly local to here. Why don`t you get one of those and let me take it for a test drive? I might not be back for a few months but I`m sure you wouldn`t mind!!!!!
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Having never had an XM i cant really comment but i believe the last ones were actually quite good cars.

I'd still go for the 2.0CT turbo.

I'm pretty sure they didnt do an HDi XM
Over and out from me
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

Hmmm... Very tempting. But if you 'test drive' it for a few months then I won't get to enjoy it! LMAO. I know, I'm a little selfish!

Although, I'd be tempted to go for a Monaro VXR instead. Something about a biiiig Yank V8... A guy a couple of doors along used to have an '85 white Pontiac Trans Am. It was a reeeaaally bad car but it sounded lovely when he started it in the morning.

The 2.0 CT Turbo, is that by any chance the same lump that powered the Xantia Activa? I had a shotty of one of them once and it was nice. The XM is a very nice looking car (the rear end is just amazingly cool!) but I'm concerned about the high bills, one of the reasons the 800 looks more interesting. Although to be honest, I'd only really want an 825 K-V6 which would defeat the purpose... LOL

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

We're further off topic than a Nasa Mars probe! Might we return to the original question, please?