My BX fleet under threat

Anything about BXs
kiwi
Over 2k

My BX fleet under threat

Post by kiwi »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/8839835 ... anger-zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New Zealand roads are becoming increasingly perilous as sentimental owners refuse to let go of their ageing and unsafe cars.

People needed to scrap their older cars so the average age of the New Zealand car fleet could be reduced from 13.8 years, Motor Trade Association marketing and communications general manager Ian Stronach said.

Older cars posed a risk because of their lack of safety features and often high levels of exhaust emissions, which can be compounded by a lack of regular servicing, Stronach said.

"New Zealanders are renowned for their ingenuity and ability to make do with equipment and facilities that in other countries would be regarded as being well past its use-by date.

"We seem to have an enduring relationship with older vehicles and as long as it is still going, it doesn't need to be scrapped."

New Zealand's average was a few years higher than Australia, the United States and Britain and if nothing was done, that figure would continue to rise, he said.

Ministry of Transport external relations and communications adviser Brenden Crocker said the issue was being addressed in the Safer Journeys 2013-2015 action plan.

"The National Road Safety Committee (NRSC), which includes agencies like ours, NZTA, ACC and the police, are looking at strategies to encourage unsafe, older vehicles in the fleet to be taken off the road."

The committee was still developing those strategies, he said.

Stronach said he wanted a "whole of life" stewardship scheme introduced, whereby as cars get older they earn a value against them, which the owner can collect when they scrap it.

This would encourage more people to scrap their older cars as a 15-year-old car could be worth about $500 under the scheme.

It would have less of an impact on taxpayers than the "Cash for Clunkers" scheme which was done in the United States in 2010, he said.
$500 for 15 year old car??? Hate to point out that the insured values of my fleet is higher than that. The crazys have arrived in NZ.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: My BX fleet under threat

Post by Kitch »

UK not so bad then :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Think about it. A Motor Trade guy calling the shots, why?. Does NZ make a lot of cars? Maybe Fischer and Paykel have a new electric!!!. A politician jumps on the bandwagon.
I'd love to see the hard evidence that older vehicles especially from the late 70's onwards are so much more dangerous. Maybe NZ has a 130mph (200Kph) speed limit - I understand its more like 60mph. Hey the BX was designed to cruise France all day at 80mph (130kph) the French motorway limit. There are loads of other older safe cars out there like the Sierra etc. Many designed to corner in the Alps and stop on serious descents as well as take on similar climate to NZ.

It could'nt possibly be the traders need to generate revenue?

Best irony of UK scrappage scheme was my car was totalled with a couple of days MOT left, - ineligible for Scrappage scheme - must have valid one even though before crunch it had one and would have passed, but for subsequent damage from RTA. A scrapper worth nothing - It cost me 25 quid to buy it off the insurance company - a no brainer.

Course in Singapore they only allow 10 year life... Any motoring museums in NZ? Better crush the lot.
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

New cars safer - probably.
New cars cause less environmental impact - absolutely not.
I read the other day that running a Morris Minor for the next 200 years including replacing parts would create less polution than making any new car.
What with the energy being used for making it, and mining all the metal and petroleum products going into it, it's not hard to see how buying a new car creates a huge carbon footprint, where as the Morris Minor produced it's carbon footprint about 40 years ago.
The carbon footprint for a Toyota Prius is huge with all the rare metals going into the batteries and electronics coming from all over the world being transported in heavily polluting old freight ships running on diesel.

Much better environmentally to keep old cars running than buy new ones.
1990 Black BX GTI
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well said that BX'er. Newer cars are safer once you have the accident, the safety cell is better designed for starters. Yet to be convinced that they are safer prior to accident - lower weight, better manoevrability etc. Dead right newer cars have a higher carbon footprint, there's so much more of them too. BX 1.6 weight 950Kg C4 1.6 (petrol) weight 1200Kg.

I don't have a problem with ensuring that older cars are kept fit to drive, but our MOT largely does this. Surely the owner must take some responsibility. I would'nt say go over the Alps with 1mm of front brake pad left or weeping hydraulic lines. Modern cars break down too.

Note there are a lot more Morris Minors than BXs' on "Howmanyleft" and a lot more 2CV.....

CRUSH the lot of 'em ha ha ha...
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

A really good green policy would be to crush these sponsored talking heads rather than the cars and using the resultant organic waste to grow some stunning vegetables for cake providing little old ladies on hard times. Funnily enough a loaded BX is an ideal human crushing machine. Make a raid on Westminster more interesting, WI later for tea.

Pogo got it in one.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

My most eco friendly motor is probably the 1956 Land Rover - yes it's a smoky old diesel that does mid 20's to the gallon at best, but there's no exotic materials used anywhere, it'll run quite happily on veg oil and it's already lasted over 5 times tha average age of a car, saving on all those recycling costs, not to mention the cost of building the replacement.

several years ago there was a list of eco friendly cars published (by Which? I think), taking into account manufacture, maintenance, running and end of use costs. The car on the top of the list was the 4ltr Jeep Wrangler, while the Prius was the best of the so-called eco motors just creeping into the top 100!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Dont let the Eco green thing stand in the way also I went on the MTA website and found the full press release. What they were saying is the age of the fleet is a road safety hazzard but between the lines its we want to import and sell more newer cars.

The MTA (expletive) spent thousands on advertising against the proposals to change the WOF (MOT) regulations to something really stupid that says cars built before 2001 were more unsafe than those built after 1st January 2001. So you have two cars same make same spec but one built the day before is more dangerous that the one built the next day hence one requires 12 monthly test the other 6 monthly. A compromise between them and the goverment.

Another less publicised move from the MTA promotes Autos as being better than manuals, thats evident in the struggle to get a new vehicle in anything other than auto in NZ. That aside from the fact most kiwis cant drive.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91