Anyone here a Xsara owner? opinions?

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

Anyone here a Xsara owner? opinions?

Post by B-Hive »

Title speaks for itself and is slightly "loaded"..

I have strayed to the coil spring side.... requiring a more acceptable and non unique social profile, as well as in an attempt to stay relatively contemporary, I bought an 03 Xsara VTR

Paid as little for it as I would have to get various jobs done on the GT, I actually like how anonymous the Xsara is.. I cant go anywhere in the BX's without being gawked at, and there was always this sense of oddness if I was to arrive for a photo shoot in what appeared like a patched up 28 year old car..So I thought I'd toe the social line and get something more befitting my age, and have clients not wondering!!!

With only 60k on her she feels like a new car.. So tight ...and fresh....Havent driven her much yet as need rego (tax/mot).. and as such have not explored potential..

However all I can say at this point is that it is still not a patch on all 3 of my BX's... The balance, the connection, how it feels in your hands, the punch...THE COMFORT..just not there..

Dont get me wrong, the little Xsaras have extraordinary handling, and punchy if revved,, but goodness I am happy still to have the BX's...even though this was a move to reduce my BX fleet!!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: Anyone here a Xsara owner? opinions?

Post by Mickey taker »

Sandre will be along soon Im sure
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

You rang?

I had a Xsara HDI which was a bit boring and rubbish, didn't feel like a turbo at all. The BX feels much nippier. I drove a Xsara 1.4 for 150 miles or so last week though and was pleasantly surprised about how sprightly it felt. Although it was also boring.

That's the limit of what I can say about Xsaras really. Boring.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Caffiend wrote:
That's the limit of what I can say about Xsaras really. Boring.
Boring yes...I agree already..but I didnt need to own one to realise this..

This rational purchase may be flipped in a few months ..but thats ok cos I'll double my money on it.. :lol:

The joys of "Buy it Now"..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I nearly bought one last year but the 406 came up so cheap I went for that, I wouldent have a diesel one but that go's for just about any cat as gar as I am concerned
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Mickey taker wrote:I nearly bought one last year but the 406 came up so cheap I went for that, I wouldent have a diesel one but that go's for just about any cat as gar as I am concerned
We never got the diesels here...same goes for the BX..

Its a VTR.."coupe" ...I'll just add at this point that even though I do all the work myself on the BX's there is no mechanic locally willing to do the work anyway...so at this stage its kinda nice with the Tsar to have off the shelf parts and servicing available if I need a quick fix...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

They're an ugly 306, ironcially they are twice as many insurance groups as high as the PUG? They are fine but dull, i drove a 1.9td hatch, it was fine, it moved, it stopped & had a/c, it felt a bit like a fridge, you need one, but you don't exactly go telling your mates that you've just bought an amazing Hotpoint Frost Free model number xxxxxx in silver ;) Thats the Xsara for you.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Agree about boring. Its even boring to write about it.
But actually I think they are quite a good car. I had an HDI for a while some time back. Found the handling/chuckability quite good, but it was slower less comfy and drank more diesel than the BX so after it had spent 4 months in my garage unused I sold it on. Lost 2500GBP on that motor.
Thats a lot more than running a horse, tell Lana, Mat.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:D I may, but now might not be the best time...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
CGATCX25GTITURBO
BXpert

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

My son has a 2.0HDI VTR, great car, it starts stops returns good mpg can't complain same for my brothers 2.0hdi estate.
missing my 1992 BX19TGD
1987 BX19 GTI 8)
CX25 GTI TURBO CGAT 86 CGAT :twisted:
19TD temp 2 Xantia estate :)
600 Bandit 97 :)
ZX12R 00 :evil:
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Not had one myself but a mate has an HDi Auto Estate. In the last 5-6 years of ownership it's had the gearbox solenoids replaced, the gearbox oil changed twice (not a DIY job!), various sensors changed round, various bits of wiring replaced, numerous bulb replacements (usually No. plate bulbs for some reason), crank pulley replaced, and the column stalks changed. Before that he had a ZX diesel auto which was slower but more economic, more comfortable and more reliable. The worst bit it the ride - I don't know if the estates had harder springs fitted but the ride is bloody awful - you get thrown around the car at 40mph where the BX just lets you know whats happening with the occasional noise from the front end, and the GS doesn't even notice it!

Every time I give him a lift somewhere with one of my motors he starts looking on ebay for a Citroen with spheres!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!