16V sunroofs.

Anything about BXs
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

This has created so much interest over here, it seems another one (red) has now come out of the woodwork.
I'm waiting for a response from the guy with the white one, but my theory that a couple have commented offlist might be close to the mark, is that we had a guy who campaigned a couple in the early 90s in production car races at Bathurst and won a couple of times and I believe these just might be a couple of his back up cars as I would imagine given the amount of body looseness that 16Vs all seem to have due to that bloody big hole in the roof, that he may have specified cars with TZi roofs so as to stiffen up the body.
To our knowledge, he raced one and retired it, raced a second the year after, rolled a back up car but still had a couple floating around.
We have competed against one of his old race cars in a hill climb only a couple of years ago, but I must check the video (if I can find it) to see if it had a sunroof or not.
Both the white car and this new red one, both also have tin bonnets. I have also asked if they have the 1.9 engine or the 2 litre like the series two Mi16.

I'll keep you all posted.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

This keeps getting even more confusing as it turns out this car was made 10 - 09 - 1992.
The original query was made concerning a car built 24 - 09 - 1992 and the red car apparently was built in October 1992.
Now when you think that in 1992 they only built a couple of hundred cars, and these were for worldwide distribution therefore had to be both LHD and RHD vehicles plus variences in anti pollution gear etc and I am positive I've seen DOM 1992 cars before with sunroofs, then how come they seemed to be built a fortnight approx apart?
Wouldn't you think it would have been just one run down the assembly line???? Which takes me back to the theory of them being built for a racing team.
Sticker on the rear window shows the name of a company in Melbourne but to my knowledge thay only do repairs and not new car sales (maybe the odd used car) and the race team was based just south of Sydney so hard to establish a link there.
No doubts we'll get to the bottom of it all. Only problem now is..............I want one!!ImageImage

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Update on this growing mystery that is beginning to make sense (and no, I don't intend to set up as a clairvoyant.) :twisted: :twisted:
Well, I can perhaps add some more info. We had a club run today and Michael from Nowra was on the run. He has one of the ex McLeod race cars and it does not have a sunroof, but did have paint lines about where the sunroof was. We both agree that the car never had one and this is also the advice from Warren at McLeod's workshop.

It has also become apparent that the 16v which used to belong to our club VP and was at Continental's for a while at about $2900 did not have a SR.

I took some pics of Michaels car esp the vin plate so will post them later somewhere.

So that is three in total that we know of sans SR. All white cars by the way.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Sorry to keep responding to my own posts, but this topic has now reached 3 pages over here and seems to be a mystery that is unwinding with great interest even for people who normally aren't all that keen on BXs, so it's producing several positive results.

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/forum/ ... 48&start=0

and it ain't finished yet by a long shot.
This could end up having a finish that could rival an Alfred Hitchcock thriller if it does a turn along the lines I've been led to believe it just might.

Alan S :wink:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Here's a pic of the car that won the 1993 production 12 hour race at Bathurst and was entered as a "privateer" and beat the factory entered Peugeot car that was driven at the time by Australias number one touring car driver.

This pic was posted by the current owner of this car.
Note the sunroof; it was actually painted in as this car had no sunroof and still doesn't to this day.
It was restored and is now a daily driver.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m ... rst2-1.jpg

Alan S