BX won't start, must move.... or else

Anything about BXs
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: BX won't start, must move.... or else

Post by Caffiend »

FWIW, we do have a club Paypal and gmail address which was set up to make it easier for T-shirts and stuffs (there'll be calls for contributions for NEC 2014 costs, e.g. insurance at some point). I have custody of said accounts, Mat F and Paul H can view for audit purposes in case I decide £3.74 is enough to run off to S America on. If a decision is made to buy communal tools then I'm happy to track/manage deposits etc.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Chipping into the running of the club is a good idea, however using its moneys to pay for parts and or cars can be a minefield. Theres the old arguement of who can use it, when and how long they keep it for, its been known in car clubs before for people to borrow things, never bring them back and then disappear of the face of the earth. Seen it before in a Rover club and it all got very messy.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I'm inclined to agree. Back in the early years of BXC, Cavmad bought an engine crane and offered it for any club member on BXC to use FOC so long as they collected it and returned it in a timely manner in good condition. Unfortunately the first person who borrowed it kept it for a year or so and went incommunicado once he had it too. This resulted in the facility being lost as when Cav did finally get it back, he sold it rather than go through the aggro again.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Easily solved, everyone who borrows the item, must pay for it in full & if they don't want to return it, fair enough as they've already paid for it. Once returned your money is returned back to you, as long as some basic rules regarding condition of the item being returned are adhered to. We could try some cheap items to begin with as a test before venturing into buying the more expensive items? Might be an idea to start a thread with some ideas of what members may be interested in borrowing to see exactly how much demand there is & exactly what people want to borrow.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

MULLEY wrote:Easily solved, everyone who borrows the item, must pay for it in full & if they don't want to return it, fair enough as they've already paid for it. Once returned your money is returned back to you, as long as some basic rules regarding condition of the item being returned are adhered to. We could try some cheap items to begin with as a test before venturing into buying the more expensive items? Might be an idea to start a thread with some ideas of what members may be interested in borrowing to see exactly how much demand there is & exactly what people want to borrow.

Nice idea and a good one, implementing it again is a problem, who keeps the money from it, condition wise peoples opinions of fair wear and tear varies hugely...not wishing to be a spoil sport but I think its something best avoided.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'm sure if you borrowed anything, it would probably come back in better nick than you rec'd it in ;)

Or, as an alternative, the tools are made available only at tech days or at club meets?

TBH this is all a bit mute anyway, until we know what people would like if there was a wish list, there might be zero demand?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm almost certainly going to buy a pipe flaring tool. The club is welcome to buy it off me when I'm done, or I'll work something out for people to rent it off me if the club doesn't want to.

I could do with re-gassing some spheres though, so if the club wants to buy one of those too, go right ahead!...
If you're still looking for someone to go shares on a flaring tool I'd be interested, especially as we ain't too far from each other.

As for regassing spheres, it may be worth givving Tony Weston a call - he's got all the kit for regassing spheres, plus a stock of used spheres should one of yours be scrap - last one he did for me was Timex, and checking all the spheres, regassing the 4 corners, including replacing one of the rear ones, was somewhere around £60 I think.

As for the Club holding tools, it's a nice idea but as we are such a loose organisation I guess the potential for someone to make off with our hard earned kit is even greater than normal unless you basically pay the cost of the replacement up front, and I for one don't always have those funds spare!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

^ thanks Mike - I'll PM you.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Way2go wrote:I'm inclined to agree. Back in the early years of BXC, Cavmad bought an engine crane and offered it for any club member on BXC to use FOC so long as they collected it and returned it in a timely manner in good condition. Unfortunately the first person who borrowed it kept it for a year or so and went incommunicado once he had it too. This resulted in the facility being lost as when Cav did finally get it back, he sold it rather than go through the aggro again.

Christ, what a nightmare that was mate. It came back with a bolt missing too I seem to recall and the borrower had been ill so not used the internet but had yet been posting away merrily on another forum. In fact it was thanks to a member of this very forum who found them elsewhere on the net and put me in touch.
As you say sadly that is one door that is shut now, though if it was someone I 'know' I'd happily do it again because if we can't help one another out then we're all knackered. Anyhow my son has another crane now, we got it to change the clutch on one of my 306s.
Vauxhall apologist.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

This thread went all quiet, what happened to these cars chaps?
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

I bought the silver 16v, it is now back in Herefordshire awaiting attention. Put it through an MOT but the fails ran to two (possibly three, can't quite remember) pages!

I am still umming and aahing about whether to get out of the BX game altogether, but I don't think I'm ready to let go yet. Current plan is to use the interior of the silver one to go back in my red phase 1, and do the hillclimb thing in the silver one (since the body is a bit worse than the red one). Goodness knows when I will have time for that though.

I bought an 8v downpipe a while ago which is available for the silver auto if anyone wants to make me an offer.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ok Bud, so the GTI autos available?
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

Tim, the GTi auto was sold to Chris who already has a silver one. So I may only have got half marks on that one, but at least one should be kept alive and in good condition.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Jack wrote:Tim, the GTi auto was sold to Chris who already has a silver one. So I may only have got half marks on that one, but at least one should be kept alive and in good condition.

Excellent, Chris as in Doc Chevron?
Jack
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jack »

No, Chris as in ChrisS