Estate tow bar

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Estate tow bar

Post by Thread Bear »

I am in the market for an Estate tow bar if anyone has one spare. I am in Oxfordshire.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mat_fenwick

Re: Estate tow bar

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have a genuine Citroen one, with the proper plug in wiring kit. PM on its way.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The genuine towbars are actually pretty good. Mines on its 3rd BX and the wiring plug in makes it a doddle. Though the boot trim near side never settles down quite right afterwards on the hatch version.
The easy way to fit is get a lump of 3X2 just long enough to wedge the jaw apart when you want to line up the mount bolts on the main under chassis rails. Pigs unless you use this 'assistance'.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Never had to do one yet as always fitted. Odd that you like to find a car without, as it suggests the arse has not been pulled of it, but then of course put one on.
The old BX Estate had a proper one on and I confess to towing a 1964 Merc fintail saloon on a trailer made from the left overs of the Forth Bridge. From Reading/Winneresh end to Faringdon. It did it quite happily. Very naughty boy. Towing probably did for that car, the engine gave up slowly.
The others had an after market one with four bolts which was fine for box trailers/A framed small cars/racing car trailer without wheels. But the fixing looks minimal, I agree. I have one for the Saloon TZD, Walter, but might uprate to a genuine type later when I can afford to do old Walt up. I think the Auto can remain virgin.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I've only got the towbar for towing a racing dinghy so all up weight can't be more than 200Kg max including trailer. Only a car full of people so hardly wrecking it. Existing towbar doesn't bother me as long as its only been pulling relatively light things. Never tried towing a Merc fintail....
Get away with not towing the safety boats at my local Sailing club as the BX tow limit is so low, ha ha
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I have one on my estate which I am breaking.
You can have it for free if you come over to Didcot to take it off the car. There may be other bits you want as well.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.