Anyone knows this injection pump?

BX Tech talk
pitman
BXpert

Anyone knows this injection pump?

Post by pitman »

I was wondering if anyone knows this injection.

It's in a BX Leader 19 Diesel, Mk1, ORGA-Nr. 3455 (25.04.86).

BTW, I got also a funny fuel filter in my BX. :shock:

Could be that this has been left from Ford garage that serviced the car around 10 years ago. One of the owners of this garage was driving BX, too.
:)
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

What are you trying to identify about this injection pump? It's a standard bosch pump for a naturally-aspirated engine.

And filter looks fairly familiar too.
this might be a signature
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

I only wanted to know if it's a Bosch pump to know I much vegetable oil I can add into the tank without modifying anything.

I thought 30% vegetable oil might be fine in summer and nothing in winter. (Well, there is vegetable oil for 51,9 p at Tesco and Diesel for 98,9 at the fuel station.)

To the fuel filter:

It's Motorcraft, that is generally Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. It doesn't have any handpump for draining it. :x

As I didn't care much about the car for almost all of its life, so I am not fully sure. I had the impression that the filter was always there, and I remember I was once confused when I tried to drain the filter, because my owner's manual shows only only Bosch and Roto-Diesel fuel filters with handpump.

But peolpe told me that it's not Citroen.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Bosch and Lucas/CAV will be the design of the filter. Motorcraft is presumably a pattern parts manufacturer. That *looks* like the Bosch type filter housing, although I'm not sure.

If it hasn't been changed in a long time then it would be well worth changing as they're supposed to be done every 25k miles or so.
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

I still don't know if I want to change the filter housing.

Presumably, I try to get a new Motorcraft filter.

For priming the system, I simply open the bleed screw, start the engine, and when the engine runs well at idle speed, I can leave the car to tighten the bleed screw. :lol: :lol:

Is there another way to do that? :shock:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Could be worth a ride to Wetherby tomorrow :wink:
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

DavidRutherford wrote:That *looks* like the Bosch type filter housing, although I'm not sure.
I was confused by the fact that the Haynes manual shows for all Citroen Diesel fuel filters a throughbolt and the Motorcraft filter doesn't have one, it's simply screwed onto the housing like an oil filter.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'd be tempted to change the whole thing for a standard bosch one, or at least fit one of the rubber squeeze bulbs in the fuel line to assit priming after you've changed the filter.
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

ken newbold wrote:Could be worth a ride to Wetherby tomorrow :wink:
Well, I haven't got my BX anyhow.

The speedo housing seal where the driveshaft goes into the gear box has to renewed and the Citroen dealer can't get anyone.

First, my independent garage told me about the problem. When I became impatient, I went directly to Citroen and they came up finally with the same story: that they don't when this seal would be coming. It could take days or weeks or ...

Now on Monday, they will build in their garage a seal for me that should last years, they said ...

:roll:

On the scrap yards people tell me "your car is too old", Citroen builds bespoken oil seals for me ... is the BX already an oldtimer? :?
M

Post by M »

pitman wrote:is the BX already an oldtimer? :?
Sadly as far as PSA and most of the scrappers are concerned - yes its a time expired car. Citroen now list the fuel pump at a whopping £1400 - far more than the car is worth, even in class 1 condition. Its like me going into a Fraud dealership and asking for Capri spares - they wont do them off the shelf despite the wide following.

PSA would rather you buy a nice new C5, most scrappers have a fast turnover and the BX does not warrant keeping in as few people want spares, unlike say a Xantia.

In a few years drivers of the Xantia will be faced with similar problems and so on down the years.

My advice, buy a spares car off fleebay and keep it for when bits of yours go pop!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you're stuck, I have a complete gearbox for a Mk1 in the garage, you're welcome to borrow the parts off it. :D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I also have a complete MK1 Diesel that is most likely to be broken for spares soon (the body/floors are ROTTEN before anyone starts saying "save it")
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Filter shown is an early Bosch variant.
These are the more recent BX types :
Roto-diesel :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 733100.gif
Purflux :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 733120.gif

The button on top of these 2 filter variants is the priming pump. Dont know if the early Bosch filter on yours have a priming button - or a separate priming bulb in the fuel line somewhere.

BTW : the lever fin right at the type markings - is the engine emergency stop lever (manual fuel cut-off).
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Pitman if you want a Purflux type filter unit i have one you can have for free just the postage cost unless you are cooming to the french car show in which case i will bring it with me. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Given that it is a bosch type (I was fairly sure, but not certain) you can just ask a motor factor for a fuel filter for a 1985/6 BX D with bosch-type filter head.

The one you get probably won't be another motorcraft one, but some other pattern manufacturer (Fram, Motaquip, Mann etc.)