Lack of Tzd labido

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Lack of Tzd labido

Post by Gareth Wales »

Engine dies a few seconds after firing, but if eventually gets going (but lumpily) if I keep the revs slightly up. It also seems to have lost some of its acceleration and top speed performance. Both symptoms occured after letting the diesel level fall close to empty. Any clues please?
And does anyone have the OEM number for the O-ring at top of thermostat housing?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d hazard a guess at the filter needing changing, sounds like it`s dragging up all the crap from the bottom of the fuel tank and bringing it through. Perhaps change the filter and fill the tank to the top and give it a good blast down the A55. Don`t forget to keep an eye out for Mr Brunstrom`s stormtroopers though :wink:
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I concur with cavmad, the filter has to be the first choice. I have found in the past that a heater plug off will cause the engine to stall on initial start up and then splutter for a while, but this this shouldn't effect perfomance on a BX. It could be worth checking the heater plugs while you have the bonnet up.
Simply remove the wire linking all plugs then take another piece of wire and touch each of the plugs in turn whilst your piece of wire is connected to the battery positive terminal. If it sparks, its working, if it doesn't, change it. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

[quote="ken newbold"]I concur with cavmad, the filter has to be the first choice.

Does that mean I`ve actually got something right?!!!!! Stands back in amazement!
I`d better not tell him how to get the fuel filter off as I completely wrecked my car after my efforts!
Perhaps I should start a `how not to do` section so you can all learn by my mistakes? Mind you, it`d take up more room than my Avatar did so perhaps not :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Only when I laugh

Post by Gareth Wales »

Thanks guys - I had thought my little problem might have something to do with the, eh eh MILEAGE ENHANCING ADDITIVE, I've been experimenting with - :wink:
So the filter it is.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Think im in general agreement that it's fuel starvation! Change the fuel filter and see what happens, it's just possible that its the fuel pump with crap in it, its then likely to hunt around for idle and prossibly run on.

But monies on the fuel filter.

The milleage enhancing additive that my local fast food place can supply needs breaking down with meths to get a little more runny liquid. If your just slapping yours in the tank then i suggest you might want to try an additive additive and see what happens!